Putin clinging to power in Russia... your thoughts

I was recently reading about this. It seems as though he is setting himself up as de facto leader of Russia for a time to come.

Political Indoctrination "camps" ie: Nashi, bid for Prime Minister, Consolidation of power, mysterious deaths of detractors, crackdown on dissidents and journalists.

Is Russia sliding headfirst towards a dictatorship?

What's your take on this?

ghost_us said:
I was recently reading about this. It seems as though he is setting himself up as de facto leader of Russia for a time to come.

Political Indoctrination "camps" ie: Nashi, bid for Prime Minister, Consolidation of power, mysterious deaths of detractors, crackdown on dissidents and journalists.

Maybe, however,surely if you look at it in the wider context of Russian history,the 'strongman' style is nothing new, I think Russians almost expect it from their elected/unelected officials in high office.

From what Sergei used to say (where'd the old dog go anyway?) it seems that many Russian people prefer strong leadership, and it's not surprising that a shift towards a more totalitarian method of government is happening. I'm not overly concerned, it seems to be the way Russia works - at least it's not communist red horror any more. It's far too capitalist! ;)

ghost_us said:

Putin to step down soon per Russian constitution. Putin becomes Prime Minister and will probably put of one his loyal underlings as president.

Hmmm...

Yes.

Oh, almost certainly a dictatorship or a despotry at the very least. Is it a good thing? For Russia probably. Not sure about the rest of us, but it won't be anything we're not used to.

Hell, it might even put a bit of stability back in the world.