Putin about political erotica

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/18/AR2007101800293.html

2. Alaska has quite a lot of resources, too...
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, Alaska - now where did that submarine just plant a flag?

Russia sure didn't fight 'the people' of Chechnya, er, or did it?
  4. former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright ... suggested that Siberia had too many natural resources to belong to one country

unless that country was the US of course. Maddie Staybright obviously thinks that America is the only country mature enough to own any natural resources, hence war in the Middle east.
  5. Rayc

Rayc RIP

It was not a bright statement from Albright!

A ridiculous thought that because a country has huge resources, it should belong to all!
  6. SPAM world domination. History has shown that every country which tries to expand its influence further and further from its own borders will eventually fail.
  7. I wonder how Beijing views Siberia...

...hungrily, I imagine.
  8. For centuries, certainly. The northern border of the early Chinese kingdoms and the Empire have waxed and waned, with Chinese settlements being there far earlier than any modern Russian equivalent. The situation is further complicated by Mongol and Manchu expansions in all directions during the Jin and Qing periods respectively.

There's been plenty of low-profile dust-ups between the two nations; China's current unofficial solution is for peasants to walk across the border and start working the land. I doubt the Party leaders will be acting too strenuously to stop them any time soon.

Russia's main problem in the face of this is how to effectively police such an enormous border. Unless they manage to populate the area pretty darn soon, they may find themselves presented with a fait accompli seccession. What's Russia's birth rate like, anyone?
  9. A scenario covered by Tom Clancy in "The Bear and Dragon".
  10. Eh, I doubt we're likely to see any Clancy-esque techno-thriller wank situations any time soon. With all the cash China is currently sucking from the US and elsewhere they seem to be content enough to simply pay for it. The amount of hassle and cost an invasion and annexation would bring just wouldn't make it financially viable I would have thought.
  11. The size of the area would indicate that you could work all your days there and retire a wealthy man, only snag would be bandits who you gonna call for help!!! after all what incentives would it take you to set up shop in khamchatka?

Brillant program on ch4 about the disappearace of usnavy bomber in siberia the show proved that the wilderness claimed the crew
  12. Russia's birthrate is low, like all European peoples.

Putin is seeking to address this by starting youth movements and giving a day off work for people to reproduce. Fact!
  13. You're thinking short-term, mate. The Chinese don't. They're not about to invade if they don't see a definite advantage to it. They will, however, happily wait a century or two until the Siberian population is majority ethnic Chinese and organise a seccession movement to 'rejoin the Motherland'.

If Russia's population even stabilises it won't provide enough warm bodies to occupy Siberia. The last stats I heard from China is that One-Child hasn't stopped their population growing, so they're going to need resources from somewhere.