Pussy Riot - Putin's not amused

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
No really, the Russians have got this wild offense of hooliganism. The little minxes could go down for three years.

It was lucky for them that they were performing in a cathedral, if it had been a theatre the army would have gassed the place.

Incidentally they perform as "Pussy Riot" not "пизда беспорядки" so the orthodox but non-English speakers won't have been offended.

The balaclavas would be understood as young girls the world over put on their winter woolies in summer.

NB Cryllic script is from Google translator but you get the idea.

B

Breaking news - one of them been sentenced to 2 years.

Edit. All sentenced to 2 years.

Breaking news - one of them been sentenced to 2 years.

Edit. All sentenced to 2 years.

'Jail house Punk Rock'

Damn... I was hoping to post that before KB said it ( I saw it on her auto-prompt)

Maybe by the time they get out they'll have gone New Wave.

I predict a pardon. It will make Putin look good.

Anyone know what lies in store for them doing "hard labour" in a Russian nick?

C

count_duckula

I'm pretty unimpressed with the Church's pathetic stance on this. They should, at the very least, not actively push for prosecution. There's a difficult balance to be struck between the Church needing to remain seperate from government and the Church supporting democratic, basic human rights as a moral authority and leader. I think the first right to go here, dare I state the obvious, will be the right to a fair trial. Given the Christian church's mostly admirable record in protecting those being persecuted this is pretty poor.

As for the comment on the mosque, anyone brown or Muslim is getting a shit time of it in Russia at the moment. They may show a sneaking support.

However, Madonna still being controversial is ****ing annoying me now. She's old enough to be a granny, put your clout away you old whore and disappear! I particularly like one minister's comment that she's a "moralising slut". It's desperate in Russia when someone supporting a basic freedom is called moralising.

And don't upset the Union of Orthodox Flag Bearers!

Well don't they look like a nice neighbourly bunch, genial, liberal, avuncular, easy going etc.

Now giving them a huge benefit of the doubt they might not be Nazis but there do seem to be plenty in the Eastern European area who are, which seems strange to me as Nazi ideoligy considers those from this region as untermensch.

Should they then not be putting themselves in concentration camps ready for some kind of final solution? What kharma that would be.

...and from the BBC web site a quote from some local who supports the judicial action

"One, Igor Kim, told the BBC News website from Moscow: 'Shouting and screaming and spreading hate in Church is unacceptable and is contrary with Christian ethics'.

Maybe he has a point, after all the it has been the province of the various churches down the millenia to spread hate, who do these johhny come latelys think they are barging into someone else's act? That's the kind of demarcation dispute causing matter that caused chaos here in the 70s with union action.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VirtualSoapBox The NAAFI Bar 47
Beanz The NAAFI Bar 2
R The NAAFI Bar 1