Pushups and Sit ups

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by cupid_stunt, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. right i have no problem bashing out 100+ pushups, but quickly, when i try to spred this out over 2 mins, i get much less, around about the 60 mark...how can i improve this, same goes for situps
  2. they're called 'pressups' , americans do pushups.................dude.
  3. Firstly you are weak, 100 in 2 minutes is easy.....................pointless but easy

Break it into blocks of 15-20, rest for 10 secs between each block, eventually you will be able to do blocks of 30-40, with a 10 sec break in between, just takes practice
  4. I just kept doing 20-30 in one go as fast as possible, then take a break and do it again until you've done it 5 times. I did this 3 or 4 times a day and now it's easy to get 100 in 2 minutes. Just make sure you try and touch the ground with your neck like you'll do in the BFT.

5. What?????

Press ups are chest to ground, sit ups, shoulder blades to ground
  6. try pyramid training and do each pushup over a three second duration... start with 25 first set, then 20 - 15 - 10 - 5 - 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 25... with a 60 second break between each set. I can't do anywhere near as many pushups as you. But it has helped me improve quite rapidly.

I have a tendency not to go all the way up when doing pressups quickly; nothing worse than someone saying 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, etc when being counted
  7. cheers guys,
    when they say non stop 2 mins for BFT, does tht mean i cant take those 10 sec breaks, whilst still on my hands?
  8. Not sure what its like here, but when I was in the Aus Army u can rest in the up position; hope its the same here!
  9. Nope you can take as many breaks as you want in the 2 minutes, but you don't need to smash out a 100 press ups and sit ups, though hats off if you do, there is a maximum and a minimum...........stupid really as most do the minimum...lack of moral fibre
  10. if i'm joining the army why would i do the bare minimum, i'm aiming for 120 of each in the 2 mins, but it is good to knwo that i can take short breaks if need be
  11. I like the cut of your jib, unfortunately not everyone has the same principles

Be aware though, the sit ups tire your hip flex muscles, which may affect your run time
  12. I can't do situps to save my life.

Just. Can't. Do. Them.

Is there an intermediate exercise I can do to get the right muscles to a stage where I can start doing at least a few?
  13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Use the stickies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.