Push up variations

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Spenny, Feb 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I always end a run with a series of push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. On one of my recent runs however, my ankle was hurting after twisting it on uneven ground.

When I stopped to perform my push ups my leg was still hurting, so I put one leg over the other to ease the pressure on my ankle. Whilst doing this I noticed I was able to perform more reps than if I was in the normal, feet together press-up position. It actually felt like I had less weight to support on my arms, although my body position was no different other than my legs being crossed.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is?

2. I don't know but I can lend you support by the fact that I have also found this to be true. Intuitively it makes no sense as, if anything, it creates a less stable position and actually moves more body weight forward. Perhaps there is someone out there who can shed some light. Of course, it may just be a perception thing and it may not be easier at all.
  3. yea i know 1 thing thats the way the girls used to do there sit-ups in school so....must be the easyer way but not the best way hmmmm dunno..
    the more weight ya got on ya arms the more its ganna work ya upper body....so you might be doin more but is it working the same
  4. Mate that post makes no sense to me. How can you do sit ups in that position?
  5. think killer got a little confused,

to add, just tried press-ups in that position.. and it works well, almost too well.. no idea why, but i was able to push out way more than normal.
  6. to cross ya legs while doing push-ups is the womens way....because they have a weaker back,cos they dont have much upper stren,so its easyer for women to do push-ups

just do the normal way....if ya aint feelin pain then theres no gain simple
  8. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Wild guess - when you have both feet on the ground, your abdominal muscles are having to support a static position to keep your back from sinking. Most people start having problems into their pressups from the back sinking / form going first, and arm / chest / tricep muscles tiring second.

Crossing your legs with one foot on the ground locks the skeleton so the bones are supporting the weight instead of your muscles. Makes keeping the static upright position easier, thus makes pressup form easier.

In the end, BPFA = both feet on the ground. Practicing with any form which is easier than that isn't going to show any progress. Start doing them on your knuckles or sommat :thumright:
  9. Bollocks. The female push-up variation is knees on the ground (box press?)

As for your no pain no gain comments - I DONT have a problem doing push-ups and am not looking for a magical way that can help me to push out more.
    Read my post again - I crossed my legs to take the weight of the ankle I injured. That was how I found out you can push out more in this position - Im just trying to find out why this is.

Sarastro - cheers mate. Makes sense although if any PTI blokes can confirm that would be appreciated.
  10. Now, this does make sense.
  11. I've had a cabby at this meself and it really is true that you can do more press-ups in this position. As an experiment, I got my wife to do the same. Normally, she can only manage seven or eight, but she did 12.

Sarastro's explanation doesn't quite satisfy me, since all your doing really is redistributing the weight you're lifting, but not reducing it. However, I'm fücked if I can explain it myself. Let me work on it.

It's handy for those who have difficulty with press-ups at the start of their training, since they can do this and then progress to "proper" press-ups at a later stage.

12. Bugs I was thinking the same thing. Personally I dont have a drama with push-ups, but I do with pull ups (can only manage around 10-15). I was advised to use bar wraps (that weight lifters use) as my hands will give up long before my arms. This way your giving the arms a better workout.

Surely this principal would also apply with the push-ups? If your alternating the system slightly to enable your body to push out more, your arms/chest are going to get a greater workout.

Just a theory but handy for those who struggle with push-ups on there BFT.
  13. Only 12? you need to started beastin' her more mate :headbang:
  14. Taking the thread title literally. There are several variations of the press/push up positions and thereby techniques.
    The 'cross leg' position has been taught since time immemorial. Came across it on my PTI course in 1966 and it is described in Battle PT books from the '40's. It most certainly is not the 'girly' variation as has been suggested by one poster.
    The hands at shoulder width or alternatively wider still is well practised.
    The hands closed to a fist.
    Hands together and in front with thumbs overlapping.
    It was in '72 when I personally first saw demonstrated at a martial arts venue, the push up / clapping hands variation by a well known fighter at the time - Terry O' Neill.
    I only came across the 'girls' recommended technique of pivoting on the knees, on a mixed sex selection course in 1984.
    At ILLRP in 1987, I saw a push up technique which involved quite an aggressive thrust upwards, with the hands then slapping the thighs, then back to the push up position and continue. Goodness knows what this achieves, besides looking impressive.
  15. The "slap" press-up, more usually a chest slap, gives greater dynamic strength. The push is explosive rather than gradated as in a standard press up. The famous TV "Commando 15" fitness regime progressed pressups from standard, via hands pointing in, knuckle and claps, to chest slaps by Week Umpteen!