Purpose of this Board

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, Nov 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Good CO edit, see also: http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/10_Basics

We're aware that the changeover of site software & general increase in complexity has meant that many people are wondering how to do things on here now. It therefore seems like a good time to create a 'top tips' section of the site.

I know that there are a few threads already in existence with this sort of information in but thought we'd try and put them in one place which is easy for people to find & use.

To that end can I ask anyone whose got an idea that they'd like to share to post it in this board. Ideally we'd like a thread for each top tip so that people don't have to root through one massive one
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
  2. Chortle
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pictures showing alright... Pictures showing alright... Pictures stop!

Can't see pictures in posts...

Checked settings... Settings okay, no image options...

Continue to read without pictures...

Makes for not only a less than colourful experience but I don't want to miss the ones perchance Jarrod might post after the 'I was just helping this goat get over a fence...' escapade.

All on a HTC mobile phone, btw

4. It may just be me (though I don't think so judging by other peoples comments on the matter) but the search function seems over complicated and when used, throws up everything but the thing you wanted. Hence people posting stuff and saying that they cant be bothered to use the search function to see if what they are posting has already been done. Search should be slick and quick.
  5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Are you referring to the simple search (ie. Google site search - a slightly tidied version of what we were using as the simple search before) or the advanced one (Xenforo search)? Any concrete suggestions or details of what is confusing?

I wonder if expanding this article and promoting it more is a better way of doing top tips than a forum thread? It would become a growing FAQ

6. HHH

HHH LE

I think you would also need to make the link to the "10 Basics" stickied & locked at the top of the site issues forum.
    Also maybe moving or making more visible the link to the "10 Basics" at the bottom of the front page.
  7. You may be right. But I think that in common with most people who buy something like a telly or mobile phone, I'd prefer the search module to be more intuitive - ie if I type in "Missing Malaysian Airliner" it would be helpful not to have the whole sites references to aircraft displayed.
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Are you talking about the Google powered one (the default) or Advanced search?
  9. But images show correctly on the phone's browser so maybe it's the Tapatalk App?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  10. HHH

HHH LE

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the App?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yes and I still only see a greyed-out placemarker where an image would.

Thank you, by the way.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Its the simple search. eg. I just typed in "airliner" and got a host of entries from "RAF rescues brits" to, well all kinds of stuff. I rarely use the advanced search as the internet is usually sh1te where I am and it's difficult enough writing much more than monosyllabic posts at the best of times.
  13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I will try and address this and Google do have some useful tuning options for the site search. In this case though, what did you expect a search for 'airliner' to produce? In 5,000,000 threads over 10+ years that must have been mentioned a lot.

If you were looking for the latest obvious 'airliner', did you try the sort by date function? (default is by relevance and to give google its due, it's a pretty tall order to order results by relevance for a single common word search! If you were a search engine how would you have gone about deciding which results were the ones you were looking for!? Google will have probably shown pages with airliner mentioned most, plus the most number of links in (measure of how popular the content is) at the top - I can't think of a better way really.
  14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

By the way I tried Missing Malaysian Airliner and it was the top result. What did you get?