Purple Poppy Apeal 2020.

Can't say I'd ever heard of it before. Well done you for bringing it to people's attention.

'The first Murphy’s Army Purple Poppy Campaign was launched in 2016 to encourage members of the public to come together to pay tribute to the many animals lost in Service, and to those who Serve us today.

'Our research had shown that although the traditional red poppy was well known, the significance of the purple poppy – to remember the animals – was less so. We believe our efforts over the years have raised significant awareness of the meaning of the purple poppy and many more are now being worn with pride.
Indeed, response to Murphy’s Army Purple Poppy Campaigns over the years has been wonderful with more than £45,000 raised for our chosen causes.

'Our 2020 Campaign is now underway and we hope you’ll lend your support once again to make this an even greater success.'

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
IMG_20200604_212757.jpg

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Every year we give to
RBL Poppy appeal
Help for Heroes
Dogs Trust
Ridgeback Rescue
Murphy’s Army Purple Poppy Campaign
We're reasonably confident that the majority of our donations are going to where they will do some good (cue someone telling me otherwise...)
The TV appeals, chuggers etc. will get nothing from us, purely down to how they treat people that do give and feel it's alright to harrass and demand more and more.
I will help out people in real need with a brew & a sandwich or a bag of chips, I've also given away old but good doss bags, bergens, goretex etc. but never money.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I know it can be devisive and some regard the various non-RBL poppy appeals as diluting the funds the (human) veterans get, I've worked alongside defence animals (no, not REME) in Kosovo & Afghan. It's not easy to explain but I feel that as we've put our trust in them to look after us, we should do the same for them.
My Grandfather was a gamekeeper, he taught me to treat animals with compassion, dignity & respect in life and death, I like to think I'm living up to his wishes.

The First world war was a terrible environment for everyone, humans at least had some concept of why but how do you explain to dogs, horses, mules & pigeons why they're there?.
I know it's the Mirror and I think the figures quoted are for all nations, it does give some idea of what they went through beside us.

I think it's about time the service animals profile got raised a bit.

I hunt and fish, every animal or fish I take is for the table and gets treated with the utmost respect. Some call me cruel for killing, but I absolutely detest those who cause animals pain for their own pleasure.

I know it can be devisive and some regard the various non-RBL poppy appeals as diluting the funds the (human) veterans get, I've worked alongside defence animals (no, not REME) in Kosovo & Afghan. It's not easy to explain but I feel that as we've put our trust in them to look after us, we should do the same for them.
My Grandfather was a gamekeeper, he taught me to treat animals with compassion, dignity & respect in life and death, I like to think I'm living up to his wishes.

The First world war was a terrible environment for everyone, humans at least had some concept of why but how do you explain to dogs, horses, mules & pigeons why they're there?.
I know it's the Mirror and I think the figures quoted are for all nations, it does give some idea of what they went through beside us.
Don't gave an issue with diluting contributions to military charities by supporting service animals charities. Anybody who does has never benefited from their service

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't gave an issue with diluting contributions to military charities by supporting service animals charities. Anybody who does has never benefited from their service
Last year I think there was white, pink, rainbow, purple and probably a few others jumping on the poppy bandwagon using it for their own 'message' whilst appearing to be a subset of the 'real' poppy appeal. I've personally no problem with alternative fundraising as long as it is distanced from the original 'core' fundraising. A lot of charities also have quite high admin costs, which of course mean a reduction in useful funds. the ' Murphy’s Army Purple Poppy Campaign' is in my view, titled distinctly different enough to not be confused with the RBL fundraising.

don't forget all the cows, chickens and pigs etc who gave their lives so that we could eat.

at the going down of the sun, we will reheat them

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
don't forget all the cows, chickens and pigs etc who gave their lives so that we could eat.

at the going down of the sun, we will reheat them
They shall not get cold, as we that reheat them grow old:
Sage shall not flavour them, nor the salt condemn.
At the going down of the bun and at scoff time in the morning
We will remember them.
Only one sausage though.

The total number of military and civilian casualties in World War I, was around 40 million. There were 20 million deaths and 21 million wounded. The total number of deaths includes 9.7 million military personnel and about 10 million civilians.
Eight million horses, an estimated one million dogs and countless mules and donkeys died in the First World War.
Just in WW1 alone we used animals in huge numbers, as many animals (estimated) gave their lives as humans, we owe these loyal and unselfish creatures a huge debt of gratitude.
Good subject to highlight, note to the Mods: move this thread to a more appropriate section, NAAFI is not the right place.

I believe the clever ones may have learned to walk upright.

If this wasn't actually a serious thread* I'd post 'that picture' of a chap dressed as a unicorn.

*well I believe it was supposed to be when it started