Purple Heart

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Biped, Aug 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

A certain Fleet St. gentleman (who has been supportive of the SSAFA cause, so don't be too harsh please) has made enquiries as to the feelings of service personnel towards a medal for those injured in combat.

The medal would be along the lines of a Purple Heart and would not be an indicator of valour per se.

Any thoughts?

2. Define combat?

3. No, that sort of thing is for Yanks.

4. Agreed wholeheartedly. Better by far to compensate people properly for their injuries - issuing a medal would just distract from this very real need.

5. That's where I was gonna go with this. I am not 'up there' on the rules with the Purple Heart, but I think one of the defining aspects of the tom on the ground is the fact that they still display a British 'stiff lip' and knuckle down whether wounded, injured, broken or otherwise. What's needed is for someone to fund the required facilities to fix 'em when they get that way!

6. I remember a tale told to me by a mate from 1 Para a while back, he was chatting to a Yank who said that he's received 3 Purple Hearts for being wounded, he asked my mate what did the British get for being shot 3 times, my mate replied ''sent back to basic training!''

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Re - instate the wound stripe circa WW1?
    That way it would only apear at the bottom of the sleave in No2's and dress uniform

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Completely agree. In terms of defining 'combat', I think he means along the lines of the Purple Heart rules (whatever they are).

Personally, I'm ambivalent.

9. Nah. throws up too many issues. What about if someone is on ops but falls over a tree stump or hits their head on a low ceiling and had to be sent back to the UK? Would that qualify?

10. PMSL :D

11. Would anyone trust MoD to keep track of the injured lists to ensure everyone got theirs?

In any case, I've got mixed feelings about this sort of thing. I'm not in any way disparaging those guys who've been injured, but I always felt the Pruple Heart amounted to a gong for getting shot, rather than the meritorious service that we should be focussing on. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Getting medals for getting shot - awfully American don't you think?

13. I echo the feelings of most on here in that proper medical care etc should be the priority for the wounded. How could you set the criteria? Would you have to lose a limb or get shot or could it be something less? The idea of giving medals out for absolutely every everything is a little bit too american for me.
    The way things are at the minute in regards to ex-servicemen and after care the majority of them would end up on ebay anyway.

14. Surely this would make it too easy for people to track cas rates or am I being really cynical?...

15. Beat me to it. All Allied Forces had Wound Stripes in WW1. The US later replaced it with the Purple Heart. Canadian Forces still award Wound Stripes.

Edited to correct spelling!