Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purity Laws - Beer, Bread, Sausages & Cider.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don't know why, but Stella always gave me a filthy splitting hangover, next day, even 1 pint included on a pub crawl, with other beers and lagers, and apart from getting absolutely shit- faced, I've never suffered bad heads.

Rather drink creme de menthe than that vile pi55.
As a young subbie in 3RTR it was not usual on your first invitation from your Tp Sgt to his mess to be faced by half a pint of Creme de Menthe, on subsequent invitations you might even get a half pint of Creme de Menthe Frappe, happy dayso_O

Agreed Stella always produced a bad head.

Issi

War Hero
I'm not sure of the veracity of this, but a friends brother was an engineer, who used to work in the food and drink industry.

He claims that all of the cheap ,smart price type lagers and ciders, are just the result of a massive vat of Fosters/Carling/Strongbow etc, that didn't quite make the grade.

It makes sense on two levels,
1. Who would throw away 20000 litres of slightly sub standard booze, and 2. Who would go out of their way to actively produce 20000 litres of slightly sub standard booze.

I'm not sure of the veracity of this, but a friends brother was an engineer, who used to work in the food and drink industry.

He claims that all of the cheap ,smart price type lagers and ciders, are just the result of a massive vat of Fosters/Carling/Strongbow etc, that didn't quite make the grade.

1. Who would throw away 20000 litres of slightly sub standard booze, and 2. Who would go out of their way to actively produce 20000 litres of slightly sub standard booze.
But it would have to be consistently rubbish in order to brand and market it, unless you're just selling to the London supermarkets.

At Ashford in 1973, a friend and I discovered that a pub in nearby Westwell, had this new, amazing Stella on tap.
Here, actually:
View attachment 480829
Rather than gagging on Watneys Red Barrel in Ashford's places of amusement, we spent our squids there, and tried to keep it a Secret. Unfortunately, the tri-service component of JSIW also discovered it, so we had to share space with crabs and fishy people. The pilsner was fantastic, and the road back to Templer Bks relatively straight, but for a few bends and corners and things.
Shepherd Neame are canny in that way. They got early rights to make imported lagers, and they do them well.
Breweries in Burton (Carling) and Northampton (Carlsberg) followed. As did many others. At a cost to the brewing heritage of the U.K.

Chef

LE

In the other direction about thirty years ago we got a trip round the Charlie Wells brewery in Bedford. They had a batch of Red Stripe that couldn't be sold to the public as it was over strength so sold off to the brewery workers.

I don't know if it's still the case but Sainsbury's own brand bitter was simply relabeled Ruddles and the labels on most supermarket beers gave the game away as the brewer's address was put on them.

Nowadays they just have' Brewed for Tescos, Cheshunt' and the like.

In the other direction about thirty years ago we got a trip round the Charlie Wells brewery in Bedford. They had a batch of Red Stripe that couldn't be sold to the public as it was over strength so sold off to the brewery workers.

I don't know if it's still the case but Sainsbury's own brand bitter was simply relabeled Ruddles and the labels on most supermarket beers gave the game away as the brewer's address was put on them.

Nowadays they just have' Brewed for Tescos, Cheshunt' and the like.
Sounds about right. If you look at the small print, most “own brands” give it away. Aldi/Lidl go much further and just give the head office address, but an address is good. Anything in Burton is Marston’s plc, for example.
For Sainsbury’s own labels, the bottle shape is an indicator if you can discern between Shepherd Neame and Black Sheep.
For me, it’s too ambiguous. Tell the consumer where it was made, and let them make their own mind up. Not just beer. Ambiguity is for me obfuscation. I want to know who made the stuff I am going to put in my gob.

Chef

LE
@RangdoOfArg As Sainsburys at the time sold branded beers too, it may have been part of the contact to be ambiguous.

Cheshunt is Tescos head office so much the same approach as Lidls and the rest.

@RangdoOfArg As Sainsburys at the time sold branded beers too, it may have been part of the contact to be ambiguous.

Cheshunt is Tescos head office so much the same approach as Lidls and the rest.
I get that. I just think that what you pour down your neck and swallow through your gullet is important.
If many of my fellow countrymen do not care, I can live with that.
I would like the facts to make my own mind up. I’m annoyed that obfuscation seems to be the rule.
And I know supermarkets own the market, and I can shop elsewhere. We all get that.

I find that hard to believe to be honest. Fortunately, as non of the drinks mentioned make the grade, and are cheap nasty chemical aberrations, they won't be going near my mouth anyway.

Issi

War Hero
I find that hard to believe to be honest. Fortunately, as non of the drinks mentioned make the grade, and are cheap nasty chemical aberrations, they won't be going near my mouth anyway.

With the benefit of reflection, and in no small part due to the comments on this forum, it has become quite clear that I was told a load of nonsense many years ago.

Last edited:
Sssshhhh! Enough talking.

AAA6B108-6B64-4EFA-8358-A793BEB39432.jpeg

I'd say they get contracted to brew a generic lager type fizzy thing with a pale amber hue which is tinned/bottled under the own brand label. We did a few of those for game lodges but using our normal recipes, just bottled with the lodge label for the punters.

Agree re the nasty generic fizzy crap. Not worth the effort, tastes shit, crap head the next morning and costs you beer vouchers you could spend on something decent.

Wouldn't even drink it if it was free, for the aforementioned ill effects.

In_Twists

Old-Salt
Buying quality produce does not have to break the bank. Local farm stores, farmers markets and a good butchers can be very competative, pricewise.
I can't get proper Somerset cider or Somerset cheddar where I live, so I stock up when I go home. However that doesn't mean I can't get good cider and cheese where I live.

Local meat and fish (especially) are excellent. I can quite happily survive without too much processed food and it isn't that much more expensive.
Depends how many you have to feed doesnt it?