Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purity Laws - Beer, Bread, Sausages & Cider.

If you shoot a rabbit, its important to cut it open and drain the piss out of it as quickly as possible.
It taints the meat if you don't.
Also a very popular brand of sausages are called Irish recipe, rather than Pork as there is not enough pork in them.

Fick mich, mein Leben für einen Stöhnknopf...

JB
Groan Button.jpg

when-the-beer-isnt-brewed-according-to-german-purity-law-39241344.png

I'd dispute that statement, Stella was quite strong 4.8-5.2 less than Fullers ESB 5.5, Bishop's finger 5.4 both freely available behind the bar. At the same time as Stella and still available.

Stella's USP was its quality and cost (remember the 'Reassuringly Expensive ads?) Come the millennium and Interbrew becomes Interbev and starts cost cutting, the Barley is cut with cheaper Maize and the ABV reduced. The embossed cans are likewise replaced with printed cans.

So less the UK couldn't handle the high ABV, albeit one lower than some premium national beers more that the accountants got their sticky fingers on the product. The effect was that from double digit growth in the 90s it went into a similar decline at the turn of the century and picked up the 'wife beater' label on the way.
The 5%+ abv beers sold many years ago were standard fare, with some lighter ales sold as table beer.
Some mild ales were 6% and more. WW1 came along, Lloyd George and his Methodist instincts persuaded the government that rampant beer-drinking could destroy the war effort and pub hours were shut, beer duty increased and cuts made in the strength. Brewers didn’t care that much, they made the twice the ale with the same malt.
The government even took over the pubs of Carlisle as they were close to munitions factories.
Even now, brewers in Britain can still sell an “IPA” at 3.6%. Which is a rip-off. Tell the punter what it is. Lightweight slurping beer.
And Stella? Crap beer with a huge marketing campaign, like the rest. It never was quality, it just got sold better, colder and in fancier glasses.It has a high quantity of corn/maize starch in the brew which is cheap. Accountants love it due to the profit margin.

neil82

Old-Salt
If you shoot a rabbit, its important to cut it open and drain the piss out of it as quickly as possible.
It taints the meat if you don't.
Also a very popular brand of sausages are called Irish recipe, rather than Pork as there is not enough pork in them.
you don`t cut them to piss them, just work your thumbs down the belly towards the tail, empties the bladder and reduces the risk of nicking it with a blade when gutting it

Is that rabbit? Didn’t know it had a tang.
Trouble is you dont know whether you're dealing with young/ old buck/doe bunny...
Back in the day we had any to be worth killin in any numbers the first thing you did was squeeze the pish out of em as soon as you picked em up.
Gut em within minutes , or Grandam wouldn't make the pie (top crust made with dripping about an inch thich) tipped upside down for the juice to run through.... The dinner of the Country Gods.
If 'the export' was on the Froggies didnt even want em guts out....
Pairing up a few dozen bunnies from a wet stinking pile chucked in the back of the landy four hours before, with a couple of wet gundogs sat on top for insulation....
No wonder they use alot of garlic!
We've more hares than rabbits about us, they always got boiled up for the dogs!
Eta.
Late to the party yet again!

Chef

LE
The 5%+ abv beers sold many years ago were standard fare, with some lighter ales sold as table beer.
Some mild ales were 6% and more. WW1 came along, Lloyd George and his Methodist instincts persuaded the government that rampant beer-drinking could destroy the war effort and pub hours were shut, beer duty increased and cuts made in the strength. Brewers didn’t care that much, they made the twice the ale with the same malt.
The government even took over the pubs of Carlisle as they were close to munitions factories.
Even now, brewers in Britain can still sell an “IPA” at 3.6%. Which is a rip-off. Tell the punter what it is. Lightweight slurping beer.
And Stella? Crap beer with a huge marketing campaign, like the rest. It never was quality, it just got sold better, colder and in fancier glasses.It has a high quantity of corn/maize starch in the brew which is cheap. Accountants love it due to the profit margin.

I'd certainly agree with most of that. The temperance movement saw WWI as an opportunity to get rid of the demon drink once and for all.

The Carlisle pubs were an interesting experiment which lasted until 1971:

I'd recommend 'Man walks into a pub' by Pete Brown for an informative book on the social aspects of the British pub.

I should think the name of the law holds a small clue as to its intent.
Or at least how they sold it to the populace. Remember politicians were involved.

According to comments I have seen the vegan ones taste exactly like the ordinary ones. So craft glue flavoured all round.aaaa

Edited to add the ingredients

Ingredients
  • Water,
  • Rehydrated Textured Soya Protein Concentrate (16%) (Water, Soya Protein, Wheat Protein, Salt, Soya Bean Oil, Natural Flavouring),
  • Rusk (Wheat),
  • Coconut Oil,
  • Soya Protein Concentrate (4%),
  • Chicory Root Fibre,
  • Less than 2%: Stabiliser: Methylcellulose,
  • Natural Flavourings,
  • Yeast Extracts,
  • Herbs,
  • Spices,
  • Spice Extracts,
  • Flavourings,
  • Colours: Beetroot, Safflower,
  • Salt

Last edited:
Never had them and I'm not keen on the Brains frozen ones being the first I try.

Definitely up for giving them a go though and when the local butcher opens again I'll try them if they're in stock.
The Butcher in Raglan, near Abergavenny does award winning faggots, he's been on the Hairy bikers TV show.
Rawlings of Abergavenny are the same with their sausages. As soon as this lockdown is over, I'll be down there buying at least £20 worth.

I believe faggots are still a Friday thing in the Valleys, pubs and chippies buy them in and serve them at lunchtime, you'll be bloody lucky to see any left in the evening, as I found out at my last trip down there a couple of years ago.

That recipe I've printed is a pretty fair attempt though, several changes before I came close........

Stella? Crap beer with a huge marketing campaign, like the rest. It never was quality, it just got sold better, colder and in fancier glasses.It has a high quantity of corn/maize starch in the brew which is cheap. Accountants love it due to the profit margin.
At Ashford in 1973, a friend and I discovered that a pub in nearby Westwell, had this new, amazing Stella on tap.
Here, actually:
1.jpg

Rather than gagging on Watneys Red Barrel in Ashford's places of amusement, we spent our squids there, and tried to keep it a Secret. Unfortunately, the tri-service component of JSIW also discovered it, so we had to share space with crabs and fishy people. The pilsner was fantastic, and the road back to Templer Bks relatively straight, but for a few bends and corners and things.

Don't know why, but Stella always gave me a filthy splitting hangover, next day, even 1 pint included on a pub crawl, with other beers and lagers, and apart from getting absolutely shit- faced, I've never suffered bad heads.

Rather drink creme de menthe than that vile pi55.

Don't know why, but Stella always gave me a filthy splitting hangover, next day, even 1 pint included on a pub crawl, with other beers and lagers, and apart from getting absolutely shit- faced, I've never suffered bad heads.

Rather drink creme de menthe than that vile pi55.
"Allegedly" its made at the Whitbread brewery in Magor with water pumped out of the Severn Tunnel.

Latest Threads