Purging Desperately Required (PDR)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Fred_Karno, May 15, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it just me or are these exciting PDR folders a complete waste of time and money? All they do is duplicate the Platoon Book and the P-File. I know this because I have just spent the last few days filling in numerous folders as this is apparantly a 'Command Responsibility'. Perhaps I got confused but I thought they were meant to be 'Personal'? This sudden enthusiasm for these fricking things has apparantly eminated from some people upstairs who are of sufficient seniority that Bill Gates and the Pope take their dressing from them.

I know that lots of people will send in delightful comments pointing out that career management is very important but there must be better ways than spending 35 sheets for every bod in the Army on some cardboard boxes that most people use for propping open doors.

By the way, if anybody wants some free stationary, I am currently sitting in a room with some 200 folders / door proppers. Almost none have been used and most are still in their original wrapping!!! Hurry hurry hurry whilst stocks last!!!
  2. Glad to hear that it isn't just me then. The big problem i have is hiding them every time there is any sort of inspection or visitor as it would not look good to have dozens of them still in their plastic wrappers sitting on a shelf when the brass are having a look round. (i hope the polystyrene ceiling tiles don't collapse under the weight!
  3. msr

msr LE

Am I the only man in the British Army who actually likes the PDR?

I find it useful to keep records of courses in it and have written down my goals for the year in it too. There is also a nifty wallet for course certificates.

I will use it with my soldiers to plan their year ahead, although I do find it a bit 'heavy' for the TA, so I will be encouraging them to use them for their work.

P.S.  No, I don't need any more  :)
  4. I suspect that if msr isn't the only person to like the pdr, he must be one of a very small minority.

Sure, it's a great (though hardly original) idea to let everyone keep a record of their trg, quals etc. If that was as far as it went then no problem. However, as we all know this is where that wonderful bunch of people called 'the chain of command' sticks its oar in (I know because I've been one of them) and instead of a reasonably useful tool for  personal development we get something to be supervised, reviewed, inspected, updated......an so on and so on

An what about the utter nonsense that is IIP?
    Essentially this is good old fashioned man-management and career development, something the Forces have been doing well for generations. The whole scheme was intended for civilian companies and agencies. The Military gets tied up with it because no-one in the MOD can or will point out that it isn't necessary or relevent to us. The net result is oceans of pointless paperwork while the majority of units continue to conduct man-management in a generally competent way and the minority who were poor, stay the same because a paper chase will never solve that kind of problem.
  5. If msr likes to keep lots of big boxes fair enough, but i have always managed to keep all the course certificates, course reports etc i need for a platoon of soldiers in one file. As for any other paperwoork that needs to be kept like MYRs and CRs, i thought that is what P files are for. There is also a confidentiality question. Having lots of big boxes lying arround all over the place isn't a good way of keeping personal information. Normal P files can be locked away in a filing cabinet and access restricted to those who have a need to see them. Having PDR boxes lying arround is just not an efficient way of doing it.
  6. msr

msr LE

That's why I say this is your personal development record, here's how best to use it. Then we agree some fitness goals, some military goals and some personal goals, log them and when it comes to your CR, we can have a look to see how you have performed against the goals which you have set yourself.

Keeping soldiers' PDRs in your office defeats the whole point of them, it's their record. It also means that when people leave, they can go to their interview / potential employers, bring the PDR and demonstrate what they have achieved.

CRs go in the P file, my Tp notebook contains the info that I wish to record about each soldier.

Hope this helps....
  7. Msr, CRs go in the P File with a COPY to the PDR. They need to be kept centrally because the bloody chain of command want to make sure they're being used (and not as door stoppers). The whole thing is another example of trying to use civvy 'best practice' in a military enviroment. It might be more useful for the TA (msr is certainly a fan) but for us Regulars it is yet another pointless bit of paperwork.
  8. msr

msr LE

Either way, I have no problem with soldiers having a copy of the CR, that's their right and forms an integral part of the personal development process, but I don't see why PDRs need to be kept centrally ???

The view I take, is that if people don't want to use them that is their loss, especially as if they want to take issue with comments on the CR, they will need the evidence to back that up.

9. I can see why the regs wouldn't care much for keeping PDR's, considering their careers are managed by someone else and any courses and qualifications are put on file by another person. But with a (younger) TA soldier who may be changing employers from time to time,as is increasingly the norm, the PDR can really help to gather evidence of further skills to enhance their CV.

If the chain of command want you to duplicate the pl comds note book and p file then they are wrong. It's for the individual to use if they're smart enough to see the benefits.
  10. I agree with msr.

The PDR is a crucial record of achievement.

FFS even switched-on schoolkids start their own these days, containing everything from 10M swimming certificates to testimonials from the newsagent's where they did a paper-round.

Sldrs need to be encouraged to do the same - as individuals.