Purges on social media sites

Ignoring the who the poster is, he's got a good point.

The mass manipulation of social media by a very small number of companies is a collosally powerful and dangerous thing.

I think there's an important link between media control and the rise of the XLW over the last few years.
It's getting to the point that the American Congress is going to have to step in with anti-trust legislation against FB, Youtube and Twitter, as tech companies should not have this much influence.

It's getting to the point that the American Congress is going to have to step in with anti-trust legislation against FB, Youtube and Twitter, as tech companies should not have this much influence.
The purge was with Twitch, Reddit and YouTube, and the timing was simultaneous. Only warning anyone had was that Reddit was going to purge on monday, and that YouTube were sending warning letters of closure to certain youtubers. FB and Twitter weren't a part of it. But even other social media providers are sanitising themselves without warning

News sites have suffered as well.
Many comment sections are now closed.
Freedom of speech is allowed as long as your agenda is a leftie one.
I troll, mildly, on Conservative Home.

That's not lefty. Enjoy.

...and tell them they need proper chat functions not just fawning over published articles.

A few days ago, Reddit, YouTube and Twitch simultaneously purged a lot of their content. They shut down tens of thousands of forums, streamers and video channels without warning.

The fact that it wasn't just a run-of-the-mill individual cleanup is what is bothering a lot users. Early last year, some subreddits I was using were initially NSFW'd then just straight out banned, and the follow-ups to those were subsequently shut down last week. Even the new players in the game that claim they are anti-censorship, such as Parler, have suddenly cleaned up and culled some of their forums and threads.

It is becoming harder to express any kind of opinion construed as controversial, although the extreme sites still exist. A thread about YouTube was started a few days ago here, and YouTube is increasingly losing money and suddenly de-monetising certain channels, shadow-banning subscribers and charging extra fees without warning. A lot of people who had popular YouTube channels have now set up a back-up elsewhere for when YouTube decides to ban them without warning.
Their game their rules

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Its a difficult balance around freedom of speech, censorship of incitement to criminal behaviour, censorship of views we disapprove of and censorship of views others disapprove of that we don’t mind.

Most of us would be quite happy to take down ‘jihadi’ nonsense and IRA propaganda. What about Shin Fein drivel or the speeches of Ian Paisley?

I heard a mention on R4 that FB was being blamed for the election of Trump - bad thing. IIRC BamBam was praised for using social media to get elected - good thing.

In the case of the OP; if the stuff you are watching is being taken down you might want to think again about what you are looking at. An echo-chamber of rightwing drivel is as unpleasant as an echo-chamber of Guardian drivel.

Not just political stuff, YouTube has demonetised or removed a lot of firearm related videos and channels.

Even historical stuff about 18th and 19th century weapons.

Bob65

War Hero
I’m not really sure why privately owned websites are expected to allow unlimited freedom of speech. Posting in the comments section of a local or national newspaper isn’t a human right.
Because social media sites want to be absolved of responsibility for any user generated content, in the same way that the phone company or postal service bears no liability if you use it to facilitate some nefarious activity. But if they are taking positions on things, they are no longer common carriers, they are taking an editorial stance, they are publishers, and there must be responsible for every piece of content. They can't have it both ways, but up until now they seem to have gotten away with it.

endure

GCM
Some subreddits are already making contingency plans to move elsewhere as they know they'll be banned in the not too distant future.

Ignoring the who the poster is, he's got a good point.

The mass manipulation of social media by a very small number of companies is a collosally powerful and dangerous thing.

I think there's an important link between media control and the rise of the XLW over the last few years.

While I'm not a major fan of The Who, I wouldn't ignore them