Pure Electric Range Rover

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Legs, Aug 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watching the the News big report on putting another 6p on a litre of fuel within the next three weeks, with further increases forecast. We could be paying as much as £6 for a gallon by the New Year. So could this Electric Range Rover be the future, and would you buy it?

Liberty Electric Cars | About The Company
  2. The new government prommised that they would attend to the fuel price problem by establishing a varying duty system for when oil prices are high.
    I have every faith that they will keep to their pledge and we all have nothing to worry about....
  3. Electric vehicles could be wonderfully quiet for covert work (yes, I think They use Range Rovers in the UK)....as long as you have a long enough cable to charge it....battery life must be interesting on a vehicle the weight of a Rangey
  4. If you could charge it up in the same amount of time it takes to fill a standard fuel tank with petrol/diesel it would be ok. Otherwise your jolly weekend away in the Lakes from London will probably involve a lengthy re-charge stop in Preston. :cry:
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

You'd probably be better off using LPG/CNG in a petrol vehicle and Biodiesel in a DERV vehicle.

Conversion costs for gas were c£1000.00 per vehicle a few years ago. Most DERV vehicles can run on straight Biodiesel (come to the Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO)) with v. little bother. (FYI all diesel sold within the EU now contains at least 5% Bio)
  6. They're working on it; one recent press release [link] was announcing 20x speedups in charge time. Fuel cells are another technology...
  7. "Most DERV vehicles can run on straight Biodiesel (come to the Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO)) with v. little bother. (FYI all diesel sold within the EU now contains at least 5% Bio) "
    Not strictly true - yes they will run, however...
    SVO and Biodiesel eat the seals in many older Fuel injection pumps - around a £300 repair
    SVO and Bio also work like a cleaner so will allow years of crud inside the fuel system to then repeatedly block your fuel filters for the first 3 or 4 tanks.
    Running SVO or Bio in any engine will at least half your oil change interval because of the risk of the oil emulsifying = Engine failure
    Bio and SVO also allow a bacteria to grow in your fuel tank so you need to treat your fuel to stop it forming
    Yes chip oil works , yes you can run any engine on SVO or Bio but you get nowt for free ... all the modern large diesel engines I work on can run on B100 , but none do as its not cost efective given increased maint and bulk fuel storage issues , ironic realy as many of them are in tractors and combines ... yes you guesed it .... growing Rape seed for Bio fuels .
    Now if I owned a 15 year old diesel engined banger I may just be tempted to give it a try
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

No. The Range Rover is a ponces excuse for a Defender and electric cars are for bed wetters.
  9. Been running my 2 diesel landies on a combination of either pure veg oil or bio diesel made by my local hotelier from his waste cooking oil...about 4 years now. (both 300TDis)

Cleaner, very cheap, quiter engine and so far no problems at all. Bacteria can be a problem, but additives are easy to come by.

Quite a few of the locals run various French diesels or Ford Transits on veg oil and thats where i got the idea from :)

But, modern Landy engines such as the TD5 will not run on veg oil and does not like pure biodiesel.

As for electric cars...well, where does the electrickery come from in the first place in the UK, yip, fossil fuels. Add to that the crap in the batteries, they are a very dirty car...but the eco warriors just don't see the true picture. If you had to recharge your car at the local coal powered power station I think a lot of people would think again about electric cars.
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The good news is that as soon as electric vehicles become properly practical, everyone will want one, and when everyone has got one, just like with diesel, the government will whack a big fat leccy surcharge or duty on electricity. They'll justify it by saying the making the electicity in the first place is a polluting process and this is just a green tax, even though your motor no longer chucks out carcinogenic and global warming fumes.

Remember how cheap diesel was once?
  11. Nah,stopped being a proper RR,when they took away the chassis,and made it into a monocoque,put low profile tyres on it,and stuck the word "Sport" on the back,I'm sorry,I don't get it?

Watched one of these trying to get of Car Park No. 2 at Ascot last year,after a little shower of rain,laugh I nearly shit myself,situation made even worse when,a little old lady in her Morris Minor 1000,tootled up the little incline past said RR Sport. ;-)
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

My Landy is a much loved 20 year old HCPU with OK bodywork. Till last January when I parked it in a multi-story. Next to some bird trying to do a 15 point turn to get out. In a silver RR Sport. I returned to find a massive whelt on my front wing.

If you cant park it, dont buy is. RR Sport tossers.
  13. Looking at the link in this thread I can't see an RR Sport anywhere, just a full size proper one. Am I missing something or did you just see the words Range Rover and decide to go on a rant about RR Sports for the sake of it?

RR Sports are actually a totally different vehicle from the full size ones; they share more with the Discovery (inc chassis) than its big brother which it has almost no shared parts with at all.
  14. Wow,sense of humour failure. Okay,it stopped being the best cross country chassis in the world when they made it a monocoque. The problem with all the nice "Green" electric vehicles,is the big **** off batteries that aren't very green to produce,or dispose off,and all the "non-green" electricity,one needs to charge the big FO batteries. If you cared to sit down and do the sums,over a 10 year period,a little old farmers Landrover series 3,is greener than a Prius,and a lot cheaper.

Can I go back to bed now?