Purchasing restrictions: Large kitchen knives OK, MT's not.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Smith28, Oct 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I was hoping to get some help here.

I'm trying to buy a leatherman multi-tool from ebay(.com not .uk) and I get presented with this lovely message when going to the checkout:

"Dear Buyer
    To prevent the circumvention of the eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie Weapon and Knives policy, it is not possible for you to bid on, or buy this item.
    Thank you for your understanding.
    eBay Trust & Safety"

Thank you for your understanding? Heh, piss off. I just find it absurd when they're selling kitchen knives, axes, and razor blades that they deem multi-tools are more dangerous and apparently "offensive" items.

I was wondering if anyone had experience of getting round this and how? (legally of course)

Note - it is not illegal - I could walk into a shop tomorrow and buy one - but I'm trying to use ebay as British retailers sell for about double the price.
    Oh, and before people try to rape me, I searched and found no other threads like this. Feel free to re-direct me though if I'm wrong.

2. Why not e mail them with proof of service or something (Military e mail account) They may relent!

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just send a message to the seller explaining what the score is. He can then send you the shank...er I mean multitool......circumnavigating ebay completely.

4. Regretfully I'm not in the military (yet).. so couldn't use that route. But I was thinking of circumventing ebay by going direct to the seller, but would worry that in doing that he could easily get payment from me then do a runner, leaving me high and dry while I wouldn't have the security of ebay to buy through. (If that makes sense..) Am still thinking about it though.

Cheers for the response so far though.

5. Before even considering rape,we will need a piccie of you.

6. Smith28, this may seem a daft question, but how old are you? If you're a minor and registered with e-bay as such, then its perfectly understandable that they've blocked you.

7. How much are you planning on spending? I've just checked amazon UK £25 for a gerber suspension.

8. I'm 21, 22 this week and laws in UK are 18 years minimum for purchasing knives I think so I'm safe.

The item I'm looking for is the Leatherman Charge TTi, more expensive I know, but worth it for what I need and what it gives me and what I've heard from heavily used ones by friends at work. I've done some looking around on amazon and such but cannot find a price that comes close.

Here's what I'm looking at: Leatherman Charge TTi Tool + Leather Sheath 830682 NEW on eBay (end time 11-Nov-10 15:42:03 GMT)
    (not sure if links are allowed, if not then go ahead and remove it)

So about £75 all in all with postage and what not. Compared to £100 plus on other british sites.. :/

9. Sorry fella you've just dipped out. I had a look at your link and liked it so much I've bought it.

10. Look you must remember that all this age restriction crap was only introduced by the evil scum of ZanuLabour to encourage people to buy their Gestapo cards.

The idea was to make life miserable for any who fail to comply with their "voluntary" scheme.

It was never, ever about cutting knife crime or any other such stuff. Hence the stupid situation where people obviously well over age have to show "proof" of age to people who look hardly old enough to out of school because the computer tells them to.

This whole business is yet another ZanuLabour legacy that needs to consigned to the dustbin of history along with them.

11. Still no piccie of the OP.I can wait.

12. Get off your arrse, go to your nearest stockist and conduct your business by talking to another human being.

It may seem a bit old fashioned, but if you give him some business he might be there next time when you want some advice about another purchase and if you engage him in conversation while doing so you might even learn something.

So stop acting like a banker, price isn't everything.

13. Glad to spread the word, seller has multiple items so I'm still in.

For your information Mic, I have been to quite a few local stockists and the average (median) of their prices was £134.98. That is around 59.98 more than buying from ebay.

Now call me stupid or call me a "banker" but I would rather save (ALMOST DOUBLE THE PRICE) and have that in my wallet.

I have nothing against using shops to buy my gear (in fact I usually tend towards them over internet shopping) but in this case I decided it a worthwhile saving. Please, don't patronise me - take your trolling elsewhere.

14. Never mind the piccie,someone bring the popcorn.This could brighten up a dull afternoon with any luck.

15. Heh, sorry to disappoint but it's only feeding time for the trolls once a day.

Any more suggestions appreciated though. I'm attempting to arrange a purchase outside of ebay at the moment.