Purchasing a tax free car

Since I am in BFG and due posting shortly, inevitably I am looking to get a tax-free Beemer to take back to Blighty to my new unit.

I have never owned a UK car, having got my first car when I got to BFG years ago (a locally purchased left hooker).

Since I am on tour and so don't have access to a BFG office (and the BFG aide memoire link in the sticky thread doesn't work), is there anywhere else I can find a simple guide to the whole process, from selling my left-hooker to how I can legally collect and drive my car back to the UK (i.e. temporary insurance and tax disc are a concern)?

Any help is much appreciated.

has to be bfg'd for 7 days i think now

what car is the left hooker and where is it (i am after one)

SO I could get the car fully BFGed, light checked etc then 7 days later get posted and f off? Sorry for the bone questions, just want to get everything correct and not get stiffed for the tax (or a 5 year BFG ban) :)

My current car is a slightly rickety ('character' I think salesmen call it!) Mk 4VW Golf from '99! It's sat in a garage in Javelin Barracks (Elmpt)

yep but you then can dispose of said vehicle for a year - otherwise you will pay VAT

How much for the golf, 50 bucks?

http://www.bfgnet.de/Community/docs/Focus/20080725-u-DECLINE_IN_SECOND_HAND_CAR_MARKET_IN_THE_UK.pdf

NEW MEANS OF TRANSPORT ON POSTING TO UK? …….THINK AHEAD

If you intend to take a New Means of Transport back to UK on posting you are required
under SOBA(G) 3213 to have the vehicle BFG registered for a minimum of 7 days before
BFG Form 414 can be issued. However, the administrative process surrounding this
requirement needs to be started at least 3 weeks beforehand.

The process and estimated timelines are laid out below:

• Complete BFG Form 60 and submit to C&I
BFG who will process and issue BFG Form 80.

Post - 2 days
BFG 80 production – 3 days
TOTAL 5 days

• Complete BFG Form 20 and submit to BFG
VLO (Main) for registration who will return
registration to applicant.

Post – 2 days
Registration process – 5 days
TOTAL 7 days

• Complete BFG Form 414b and submit to
C&I BFG who will process application and return
BFG Form 414 to applicant.

Post – 2 days
BFG 414 production – 3 days
TOTAL 5 days

You are therefore advised to start the process for registration and subsequent issue of
BFG 414 at least 3 weeks before you are due to return to the UK. All timings shown are
achievable however due to unforeseen circumstances these time lines may be further
extended.
You must not sell or transfer ownership of this vehicle until it has been in
your possession for 12 months from the date of first BFG registration to avoid a time penalty
on any subsequent posting back to BFG.

Aide Memoire Link >>http://www.bfgnet.de/Community/docs/Focus/BFG_VLO_Aide_Memoire.pdf

Can you not phone your BFG Office?
Advice on BFG vehicle registration procedures can be obtained from your local BFG
registration office or the BFG Vehicle Licensing Office Helpline during operating
hours on Rheindahlen Mil 4100, Civil 02161 472 4100.