Purchasing a Laptop

I'm looking to buy a laptop in the near future. Mainly to be usef for surfing over a wireless network and waching dvds but don't want to spend a vast amount of money.

Anyone got any reccomendations on the best places to buy?

Cheers

OS

G

Goku

Don’t buy from Dell, they’re utter junk.
If you do buy Dell, don’t buy any of their laptops with the duo core processor. Dell’s duo cores are faulty :pissedoff:

jmj

Old-Salt
Oneshot said:
I'm looking to buy a laptop in the near future. Mainly to be usef for surfing over a wireless network and waching dvds but don't want to spend a vast amount of money.

Anyone got any reccomendations on the best places to buy?
I have an Acer myself (few years old now). Never had any bother with it. Few other more recent Acers here in the office which have again been trouble free. They are available from loads of places online.

Find the model you want and do a google search on it.. Got a good bargain from Tesco the other month.

J

ive got an acer travelmate 4601LCi. plays most games (including medieval 2 with details turned down), built in wireless networking.

its alright. had an acer before too, no problems with that one either.

Toshiba from Ebuyer, cheap as chips, decent warranty, will do what you want

LINK

Surfing and watching DVDs are the type of tasks which can be supported easily by even a very low end laptop these days, so I suggest you then refine your requirements. Do you want to view the DVD on the laptop or a connected TV screen ? If the former, you should look for a widescreen model with a good resolution (nothing less than 1280 x 800 pixels). Either way, I agree with the guys above, ACER are shifting lot of laptops of good quality/price at the moment. Whatever you do, buy one using a credit card on the internet (eg ACER's own site) and not from PC (ripoff) World.

oneshot

i'm upgrading shortly, i've got a decent nick IBM T30, PM me if you want any more details

i've used it for about 2 years and it does everything i've ever needed it to!

Banshee_09 said:
oneshot

i'm upgrading shortly, i've got a decent nick IBM T30, PM me if you want any more details

i've used it for about 2 years and it does everything i've ever needed it to!
sorry i've just read that back and realised it didn't make the point!!

i'm offloading my IBM T30 if you fancy a decent second hand one, let me know.

or if anyone else wants a 2nd hand laptop let me know
bout £250, but willing to negotiate :D

D

Deleted 20555

bluearmy said:
Anyone got a mac laptop, if so are they any good?
Depends what you use it for....I use mine for email, surfing, DvD movies while travelling and gaming - PC btw - not a lot of gaming on Macs but otherwise fine.

Btw on Dell - I bought a Inspiron 9400 dual core wide screen in Nov - think it's great - no probs, well apart from the fact they lopped £200 off the price in Feb...*sigh*

sony viao from play.com are lopping off 50 quid more than the sonystyle.co.uk shopping space.

sony laptops are the way forward if you are willing to pay a tiny bit extra. its well worth it.

Banshee_09 said:
Can you hit us with the spec?

Cheers

OS

bluearmy said:
Anyone got a mac laptop, if so are they any good?
I've got 6 iBooks between 6 and 4 years old with employees and family. All are running OS10.4 and all except mine have been 100% reliable. Mine has trashed a main board four times, (certain iBooks had a video problem which Apple addressed eventually :pissedoff: with an extended warranty programme).

The new MacBooks and MacBookPros are very good but they are hardly cheap, Apple does not compete at the £400-600 price point. The cheapest MacBook is £749 but it has, out of the box, most of the software you will likely need, an inbuilt web cam, drive head locking if the laptop is dropped and a clever magnetic power lead.

If you want cheap, then Acer seems to be a good bet at the moment, if you want robust, try a Toughbook, if small then try a Sony Vaio. As a platform, I prefer the Apple OS but their range of laptops is a bit limited. I'd love a MacBook tablet computer, (available as a 3rd party custom job), but Apple have consistently avoided some markets.

and if you decide to by second hand..
BEWARE..
some batteries can be seriously drained and dont hold the charge for long and can be a bugger to get replacement battteries for..

Civvy_Shot said:
Banshee_09 said:
Hope you've cleaned the grot off the hard drive!
nope, i'll leave it on for the lucky one who wants it :thumright:

one shot
its's P4-2.0Ghz, 512mb 40gb 14.1" XGA lcd, wireless and bluetooth DVD/CDRW, touchpad and i'll even throw in a cheap carry case i've got knocking about
or for £300 i've got an IBM T42, similar spec but i don't have the exact ones with me