Pupils race case dropped by CPS

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by india-juliet, Apr 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I created a thread on this a month or so ago. Well done to Judge Finestein for standing his ground. I think we need more Judge's like this good chap. :

The case against a 10-year-old boy taken to court over alleged racist taunts has been dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service.
    District Judge Jonathan Finestein had branded the decision to bring the youngster to Salford Youth Court "political correctness gone mad".

Greater Manchester Police stood by their decision and Mr Finestein was criticised for being "out of date".

The CPS said that the 10-year-old boy had accepted a formal warning.

The boy from Irlam, Greater Manchester, was accused of racially abusing an 11-year-old fellow pupil and appeared in court earlier this month.

But Judge Finestein adjourned the case, saying the boys would have got "a good clouting" in his day.

He had asked prosecutors to reconsider whether the case was in the public interest.

2. Good grief, common sense and the law all at the same time?

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Charles Clarke will no doubt be calling for resignations; it not the way he likes to do business.

4. But Judge Finestein adjourned the case, saying the boys would have got "a good clouting" in his day.

And he probably got a good clouting off Nanny Wilkins who he visited twice a week in the flat he had set her up in.
    I think that was the naughty schoolgirl scenario or it could have been the errant nun.

Still, it did seem like common sense but who is actually going to give the little shite the clouting?

5. Is he advocating assaulting a child? I like how he thinks though. A clip around the ear on the odd occasion wouls soon sort some of these kids out!

6. Is there a link to this or the previous story? Is this the same case where the boy and the abused had actually made up and were back to being friends anyway? so who brought the case to court? The CPS :?

7. Never did me any harm apart from that buzzing in the ears and the headaches and the split vision.

Still I'm sure I deserved it and it made me into the man I am today.

Oh fcuk!

8. MyssL, it is. The other boy called him something like Trailertrash, so he replied in like form. A day later or so they were playing in each other's houses.

9. Is the formal warning the same as a caution? Not accepting a caution got them to court in the first place. Has he backed down?

C

10. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4946212.stm

"Pupil's race case dropped by CPS
    The case against a 10-year-old boy taken to court over alleged racist taunts has been dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
    District Judge Jonathan Finestein had branded the decision to bring the youngster to Salford Youth Court "political correctness gone mad".

Greater Manchester Police stood by their decision and Mr Finestein was criticised for being "out of date".

The CPS said that the 10-year-old boy had accepted a formal warning.

'Good clouting'

The boy, from Irlam, Greater Manchester, was accused of racially abusing an 11-year-old fellow pupil and appeared in court earlier this month.

Judge Finestein adjourned the case, saying the boys would have got "a good clouting" in his day.

He had asked prosecutors to reconsider whether the case was in the public interest, but was later criticised by the National Union of Teachers for not taking the abuse seriously enough.

A spokeswoman for the CPS said on Wednesday that the Chief Crown Prosecutor for Greater Manchester, John Holt, had now decided not to continue the prosecution, adding that the boy had been given a warning.

Judge Finestein was not aware of the full history of the matter

John Holt
    CPS

The case centred on an incident in January in which the 11-year-old Asian boy suffered a bruised leg.

An 11-year-old boy originally arrested over the incident was reprimanded for section 39 assault, while a 10-year-old boy was given a warning.

But a second 10-year-old boy refused a warning and was summonsed to court, accused of a racially aggravated public order offence.

Mr Holt added: "Mr Finestein made remarks about the decision to prosecute which were highly critical of the CPS.

"He was not aware of the full history of the matter, in particular the prior disposal of the allegations against the other two boys.

Matter 'closed'

"He has accepted that he may well have been less forthright in his comments if he had been aware.

"In my review I have taken into account the fact the other two boys, who had a greater involvement, have accepted a reprimand and a final warning over their behaviour.

"As the third boy has now been given the warning about his conduct, we feel that this matter is now closed."

Greater Manchester Police said that Chief Constable Michael Todd had received a letter from Mr Finestein expressing "regret" about his criticisms of the police in court.

During the preliminary hearing, the court was told the boys were now friends and play football with each other. "

The Judge should have been made aware of the full facts of the investigation - may have stopped him making such ill thought out comments.

11. Not convinced. So there was a bit of history of playground fighting and name-calling between 10/11 year olds. Doesn't seem to justify to me the full weight of the law and involvement of the brave GMP. Racism is clearly unacceptable, however - and I haven't been to Manchester for some time - I can't help feeling there might be nastier crimes than this worth pursuing. Or perhaps the easy ones that tick the right PC boxes are priorities?