Punchy Pontiff

Do you agree with the Pope's comments?

• Total voters
L

lumpy2

Thought about putting this in the Int Cell, but then decided it would be more sporting to put it in the Naafi where people can disagree/abuse me to their hearts' content.

Pope Francis is in the news for commenting, in the wake of the terrorist attacks in Paris, that if his friend "said curse words about my mother" he could expect a punch.

Many have found his words provocative, and indeed cited the Christian principle of "turning the other cheek", but I feel he has got it right - if something that someone holds dear (whether it be their loved ones or articles of a deeply held faith) is mocked or blasphemed then the human reaction is to strike out. Even Christ showed his anger when he overturned the tables of the money lenders in the temple.

The unpalatable fact that the "Je Suis Charlie" brigade don't want to accept is that Charlie Hebdo's so-called cartoons were at best puerile, and at worst gratuitous in their offensiveness. I wonder how many otherwise intelligent people have actually examined the content of this not-very-satirical magazine.

Edited to add: Believing that freedom carries responsibility, and condoning terrorism are two different things.

I'm broadly in agreement, some of the CH stuff rather than being mocking and satirical was in my opinion simply intended to provoke outrage in some quarters for the sake of it.

That said nothing justified the equally idiotic response by said community.

Had the outraged response been limited to the Ch offices windows put through or its staff verbally abused spat on in the street, I would have been inclined to think tough shit you unfunny twunts.

My local area has about 50 000 houses and cars with Je suis Charlie stickers and 1 house which stuck up an old CH comic.

Thought about putting this in the Int Cell, but then decided it would be more sporting to put it in the Naafi where people can disagree/abuse me to their hearts' content.

Pope Francis is in the news for commenting, in the wake of the terrorist attacks in Paris, that if his friend "said curse words about my mother" he could expect a punch.

Many have found his words provocative, and indeed cited the Christian principle of "turning the other cheek", but I feel he has got it right - if something that someone holds dear (whether it be their loved ones or articles of a deeply held faith) is mocked or blasphemed then the human reaction is to strike out. Even Christ showed his anger when he overturned the tables of the money lenders in the temple.

The unpalatable fact that the "Je Suis Charlie" brigade don't want to accept is that Charlie Hebdo's so-called cartoons were at best puerile, and at worst gratuitous in their offensiveness. I wonder how many otherwise intelligent people have actually examined the content of this not-very-satirical magazine.

Edited to add: Believing that freedom carries responsibility, and condoning terrorism are two different things.

So both you and the Pope think that Islamic crackpots are entitled to murder people for drawing stupid pictures.

I agree with you Lumpy. Whilst I agree with the tenet of freedom of expression, one has to realise that actions have consequences. I do think murdering people over a satirical cartoon is a little extreme, but to then answer that with another cartoon is akin to waving a red rag at a bull. These are not sane, right-minded people we are dealing with and I think that should have been realised before doing something that is going to be insulting to a lot of people who, up until now, were keeping their heads down and trying to distance themselves from the extremists.

So basically, the devoutly religious of any denomination or faith are fcuking mental. They all fcuk kids too.

So both you and the Pope think that Islamic crackpots are entitled to murder people for drawing stupid pictures.

I don't think even the Pope is saying that! What he is saying is if you insult someone, don't be surprised if they hit back!

L

lumpy2

So basically, the devoutly religious of any denomination or faith are fcuking mental. They all fcuk kids too.

By "devout", do you mean fundamentalist/extremist/terrorist? Most educated people of whatever faith seem to rub along ok. I don't think it's a question of religious belief, rather one of education.

I don't think even the Pope is saying that! What he is saying is if you insult someone, don't be surprised if they hit back!

What he said was that he would punch someone who insulted his mother. So in his opinion, it's justified to use violence on someone who insults you and since Charlie Hebdo insulted Islam, then, in Frank's opinion, Islam is justified in using violence in retaliation.

Where did I say that?

By "devout", do you mean fundamentalist/extremist/terrorist? Most educated people of whatever faith seem to rub along ok. I don't think it's a question of religious belief, rather one of education.

Nail head etc

Vulnerable (read uneducated or mentally insecure) individuals being indoctrinated with a perverted version of the holy book for the benefit of the corrupt bastards at the top.

Feel free to insert religion of choice

I wonder how the likes of the late great Bill Hicks or Lenny Bruce would have ruminated on the religion of peace. One thing I'm certain of is that they would have been funnier than Charlie H.

When I worked in Sierra Leone, the population was roughly 50/50 Christian/Muslim. They used to have to get on. The fact that they were also piss poor precluded any handbag fights.

L

lumpy2

Read my last line, or are you determined to misunderstand?

I believe the Pope was demonstrating that it is a human reaction to strike out if one is insulted, more so if it's someone/a belief that is cherished.

Most people understand the difference between a slap and murder.

Duke_of_Kaos

War Hero
Considering that CH pokes fun at all groups and is no friend of the Catholic hierarchy I am not surprised by his comment. I do not agree with it though.
It would be interesting to see what the BBC or other broadcasters reaction would be to a call to ban the Life of Brian, or for the police to stop the selling of t-shirts etc, that depict Jesus smoking joints etc as they are found offensive by some Christians.
In a so called free society, we should be free to mock established organisations and groups in the name of humour, there needs to be limitations and people need to accept that actions beget reactions, but terrorism and murder are not appropriate responses to a cartoon. Neither is he Pope advocating violence, but then again maybe his true colours are starting to shine through.

Read my last line, or are you determined to misunderstand?

I believe the Pope was demonstrating that it is a human reaction to strike out if one is insulted, more so if it's someone/a belief that is cherished.

Most people understand the difference between a slap and murder.

Read your last line. It's meaningless in my opinion. I think both yourself and the Pope need your medication looked at.

Latest Threads