Pulled muscle, recovery times?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cc123, Jan 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had a slight pull on my inside left leg, groin area when playing football last night and its a little tender today. Also, I had extreme cramp in my right calf when I got home (I never get cramp) and couldn't loosen it off and now it feels like its pulled muscle/dead leg.....

How long should I give it before training on it again? I'm going for the TA (meeting the TA tonight actually) and don't want to slack off with my training. Should I give it a week then try some gentle jogging? I'm no good with judging how long I should let something heal?
  2. Till it stops hurting. Thats what I usually do, a bit of light phys after it appears to have stopped hurting, and then build it up.

3. If it's a minor pull then I find going for a light jog or gentle stretching eases it up and makes it actually feel better. Make sure you get lots of potassium (bananas are good), especially if you're taking on a lot of water, to prevent cramps. It really does work!
  4. ^^^ Good job I power banana’s likes there’s no tomorrow! I’m guessing it was from the cold (2 hours 5-a-side in –3c or something) bit of a crapper to pull up when I’m just getting into the swing of things again.

Will give it till the pain eases and try a short light run.
  5. recovery time will be dictated by two factors.
    these being protein and macronutrient intake with adequate rest