Pulled Achilles tendon

#1
I managed to pull my Achilles tendon running two weeks ago, and despite the normal RICE treatment, it's not fixed yet. I can still cycle without pain, and upper body work is fine, of course, but I want to get back to normal jogging, to coin a phrase.

How long does this injury take to heal? Especially in those of us who are 46 :oops: ?

I'm slightly surprised that I haven't done this particular injury, in the last 33 years of regular running. I suppose that eventually I'll get every injury, and qualify for a badge of some sort ...
 
#2
Good start but from personal experience, don't whatever you do, go back on it too quickly. This is one injury to be careful with. I pulled mine, then, after resting what I thought was adequetely enough, went back on it and ripped it proper. Even with six months physio twice weekly, I now have a permanent problem with it.

Don't muck about with - go get physio and some expert advice now.
 
#3
Don't mess with joint, tendons and the lower back.

Let it heal to where there is no pain, then give it another month.
You're looking at 3 months of no running.
I'm taking age into account here (sorry, got to be said).


If it's really bad, doc or physio
 
#4
Ian1983 said:
Don't mess with joint, tendons and the lower back.

Let it heal to where there is no pain, then give it another month.
You're looking at 3 months of no running.
I'm taking age into account here (sorry, got to be said).


If it's really bad, doc or physio
Agreed. At least three months rest. Then another three or four weeks of careful stretching exercises before taking up regular exercise.

A good stretching exercise is to put your hands and grid against the wall with your body at an angle and your plates flat on the deck. Then slowly bend your knees, being careful to keep your heels on the deck. This allows you to fine-tune the stretching, but you should break off as soon as you feel anything over and above the "stretchy feeling".

The reason why stretching exercises are so important is to loosen and dissolve any tissue adhesions that may have occurred during the healing process.

MsG
 
#5
Sh1t, you guys are a real bundle of laughs.

Thanks for the advice, I'll rest it. :x
 
#6
How about going to see the MO, instead of asking on the internet? Just a thought.
 
#7
Carcass said:
How about going to see the MO, instead of asking on the internet? Just a thought.
I was TA; Ever been to an Army med centre on a Saturday afternoon? :D My battalion didn't even have one.

Anyway, I see this forum a bit like asking round the running club to see if anyone's had a similar injury; as a 3rd or 4th opinion it's useful.
 
#8
Rest long enough (loads of cycling and stepper, no running) and you'll get what I've got - chronic pain in the ankles because (I suspect) all the little ligaments have slackened off. Anyway, when I do run on the treadmill if the achilles hacks it the ankles give me hell. I'm thinking of trying the wobble board. Doing calf raises and rocking side to side seems to have helped a bit.

But achilles problems are a nightmare.
 
#9
gobbyidiot said:
Rest long enough (loads of cycling and stepper, no running) and you'll get what I've got - chronic pain in the ankles because (I suspect) all the little ligaments have slackened off. Anyway, when I do run on the treadmill if the achilles hacks it the ankles give me hell. I'm thinking of trying the wobble board. Doing calf raises and rocking side to side seems to have helped a bit.

But achilles problems are a nightmare.
I'm sure you have, but have you considered doing calf raises off a step and really extending the ROM.
 
#11
I damaged mine 18 months ago. My GP put me on full strength Brufen for about 3 weeks and I rested it for at least 6 weeks. Touch wood it has not come back.
 
#12
Ian1983 said:
gobbyidiot said:
.......have you considered doing calf raises off a step and really extending the ROM.
I used to be able to get onto the ball of one foot no problem, but that's all gone. Range of movement in the normal plane isn't too problematic - ie off a step - but anything that introduces instability is the problem. Then again, once warmed up you can go mental and you think everything's ok say in five a sides, then the next day you can hardly walk. Training - protect yourself at all times :(
 
#13
gobbyidiot said:
Ian1983 said:
gobbyidiot said:
.......have you considered doing calf raises off a step and really extending the ROM.
I used to be able to get onto the ball of one foot no problem, but that's all gone. Range of movement in the normal plane isn't too problematic - ie off a step - but anything that introduces instability is the problem. Then again, once warmed up you can go mental and you think everything's ok say in five a sides, then the next day you can hardly walk. Training - protect yourself at all times :(
Ah lateral movement.

A few years ago I was competing and landed on my ankle during round 1. 5 rounds later and about 20- minutes afterwards I couldn't walk. Same thing, normal ROM after about a month returned, but lateral movement was a no go.

It took me about 3 more months to get full ROM in all dimensions. I was told to use a rehab band and a wobble board, but all I ended up doing was squatting and skipping. It hasn't been that much of a problem since.
 
#14
Angular,

I cannot really add much to what others have said.

I pulled my achilles completely out,didnt realise it was as bad as it was. I went to the doctors a couple of weeks later and was rushed to hospital cos she thought i may have had a fracture in my heel.
Six weeks in plaster and walking with a stick for another couple of months were the result. Nightmare.

You do not want to risk doing too much before it is fully recovered,and then slowly does it.
Now it is just my liver that needs time to recover,fortunately.
 
#15
I can relate to that smudge!

Six weeks in plaster which was a total waste of time but the graffiti was superb!..... and after that the ortho surgeon tried a cortisone jab. That worked! but the surgeon has to be a good shot with the needle or the tendon will rupture. Has anyone mentioned the cortisone thing to you angular?? If not, may be worth an enquiry.

I can still run from Darthy's advances without a problem :wink:
 
#16
In the gym yesterday I saw the answer to wobble boards for those with dodgy ankles - a big board with what looks like half an inflatable swiss ball on the underside. The ball flattens a bit so the whole thing is a lot more stable and you can work the ankles around through a range of motion.
 
#17
As an update (for anyone else searching for a similar injury), I've only just started running today, 10 weeks after the injury. 5-10 minute jogs only.
 
#18
Glad to hear you are on the mend. Just remember to keep building it up slooooowly :D

ITC
 
#19
A Bosu I think? is the correct spelling for it gobbyidiot, useful for lots of things- pressups being my PT's personal favorite at the mo on it!

Have you spoken to anyone who plays rugby?? They, in my experience of having friends/family in the sport, get a lot of issues with tendons etc and probably have some great tips for you.

JB
 
#20
Are you Chubb, by chance........or am I being dreadfully unkind? Flashy! you got the rights to check? Yea or Nae?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top