Pull Ups.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Drivers_lag, May 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Specifically, wide arm pull ups and the old assisted lift machine.

T'gym caught me using the assisted lift machine to complete my pull ups while working out the other day.

'No no no', Cried the behemoth, 'That is not the way. If you want to do 30 pull ups, do them in sets of as many as you can... 30 sets of ONE if you have to. That machine is shit!

Lo and behold, after only a week, my initial best effort has gone up by 3 pull ups. The behemoth was right.

Now, my lats are a bit puny, so wide arm pull ups are altogether more difficult for me. To the point where it would be difficult for me to use the same strategy - at least initially.

So, my options are basically to keep on with lat pull downs, lat raises with the dumbells or the 'shit' machine assisted excercise.

Any tips?

2. If you can get on the squat rack then I would suggest this; hang underneath the bar and walk your legs infront of you then pull yourself up to the bar (think of an upside down press up). Quite similar muscle group to an upright row however given the angle it does incorporate your lats too. When i get a sec I will find an image for you as it is a bit tricky to explain. Or as you said just jump on and do as many as you can!

Inverted pull up!

3. Do you mean somehting like this?

Underhand Inverted Row (high bar)

This is the website I use for techniques

Weight Training, Exercise Instruction & Kinesiology

4. I did indeed, just couldn't think of the name!

5. Thanks! That looks like a plan.

The trouble is that the grips in the gym are just a bit too wide for me. If I was to find a bar that I could get a closer grip on, is there any future in using that and slowly widening the grip, or does the muscle group change?

6. The major muscle group stays the same, but will bring different muscles into the equation with the change of grip.

Also one more training tip. After you've done as many pull ups as you can physically muster, jump up into the pull up 'up' position and slowly under control lower yourself down, repeat until properly fatigued. This will add an extra bit of strength training to the end of the session.

7. The problem with closing your grip will be that you use more of your biceps for lifting, although you do still include your lats a small amount but probably not enough to see a great improvement in strength. The wider the grip the more muscle groups you include. I personally just jumped on the widest grip I could possibly manage, and I only did 3 sets of 3 to start with (well 1 set of 3 and 2 sets of 2(ish) and as the weeks went by I found i could do more and more.

8. I do that, but as I can only manage about 8 underarm pull ups, I know when I've run out of steam. So slowly down at the end of each set. Of course, sets get smaller as I fatigue, so by the time I get to 30, it's probably only 2 reps. That's a fair amount of coming down under tension.. probably 6 or 7 times.

9. Trouble is, I'd be doing one at a time, none at all if I've already fatigued my arms on something else. I hate the machines in the gym I use as well. I tried the bar exercise this afternoon. I reckon that's what I'm gonna run with.

As an exercise, it's ******* nails. Was taking turns about with a couple of the proper meatheads and I noticed that they were accepting a good deal of help from the machine as well, so I don't feel too bad about it. :)