pull ups / heaves during phase 1

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by justdoit, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok a bit of background, I passed selection for Para Reg before xmas and was due to begin my phase 1 the end of last month however due to a tendon injury in my hand i've been put on a later intake (late march) im almost fully recovered from the injury and been given the go ahead from my physio to start back with gym work however my pull ups have went from an easy 15 at selection to struggling to get a couple, i understand it will take time to build back up to previous strength but my worry is i will be tested for heaves / pull ups during phase 1? can anyone give me an answer on this? run times, press ups and sit ups are all well within required standard, thanks
  2. Tendon injuries are a ****** mate.

Don't worry about recovery. As long as you don't inflame and annoy your tendon the time it takes to get back to where you were before strength wise isn't anything really compared to getting there in the first place (muscle memory baby).

Have fun in the paras :twisted:
  3. thanks for reply ian, agree with you on the muscle memory making it easier to build back up previous strength and conditioning however the tendons in my hand are not as strong as before making it much more difficult to do the pull ups. Still looking for more advice on how much emphasis is actually put on new recruits doing pull ups / heaves in phase 1 as I may consider deferring myself until I can comfortably do 15+ again or would this be unneccesary?
  4. any input at all on the emphasis on pull ups / heaves / rope climbing during phase 1? there must be someone viewing this that has been there recently that can advise me, these are all going to be weak points for me due to tendon repair surgery in my fingers so im keen to find out as much as possible about it in advance, thanks