Pull Up A Sandbag - the Novel

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Bad CO, Apr 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    We've just been made aware that another couple of ARRSE users have headed down the "Picking Up the Brass" route and published a book:

Any thoughts/reviews or other after reading the book will be more than welcome in this thread.
  2. i ordered it last weekend & still not arrived so the despatch side of it is not the mae west.
  3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Just ordered mine :lol:
  4. When did they start collecting the stories for it? I was asked donkeys ago by someone to send in a few daft tales and was wondering if this is the finished article.
  5. it has a facebook group....

"Pull Up a Sandbag" - Stories as told by Squaddie's for Squaddies!

551 members
  6. Knocker - don't know where you got the Facebook link you posted, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the book!
    :? :? :?
  7. Wey Hey! Got my copy today and have soiled some underwear already. I looked at the 'content page'first and was intrigued to see, and rightfully so, that Ancient Mariners caper had made it to the book. I still laughed out loud and probably will forever.
    I was was also very pleasantly surprised to see that a tale of mine was included.
    (bugger, I should have got a free copy!! Fear not, it's for a good cause and you can donate it to..... something!!
    I found myself thinking that a Strawberry would have diificulty in following the lingo..... then I thought, phuck'em.
    I have just started to read it properly and in order and I just knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

Well done gentlemen and a full appraisal will follow!
  8. Received mine 2 days ago, I'm two thirds through it.
    Very funny read.
    The missus is pissed off that I've had my nose in the book for the last 2 days.
    It does seem that the majority of stories happened to, or involved the Engineers though.
    Funny as fcuk though.
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Got mine yesterday and started it last night. Just like switching off arrse on the 'pooter and starting again in a book!

Great stuff. Should be issued in Phase 1 training to newbies.

Only quibble is the time it took to get from the seller. I had to phone them to chase up. Still, obviously a small business trying their best.

Well worth the pennies.
  10. Yes, same here.
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Got mine a couple of days ago, and it's in my reading list - after seeing some of the comments here, I'm going to bump it up the list. Delivery turnaround was fine.
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Worth the wait :D

Biped. It is not a novel or biog, just a collection of short (but hillarious) stories, so can be pcked up and read without spoiling your current read.

Just love the cruise to Egypt & Isreal from Cyprus :omg:
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Ta for that - I'll give it a go.

14. Ordered mine evening of 22 April, but as I'm in Bosnia anything under 3 weeks for delivery is a bonus!
    Eventually got onto the Facebook reference for the book, after repeatedly being sent to a personal wall (turned out to be that of the last person to post on the PUAS wall). Obviously a kink in the ether, my clockwork computer or my own ineptitude rather than fault with Knocker's post.
    Having paid the equivalent of 3 or 4 pints (8 or 10 here in Sarajevo :D ) I was happy to see the positive reviews both here and on Facebook.
    Will be joining Gundulph for a beer next week, and hope to be able to show him my copy.
  15. I took this on nights with me and sat laughing like a loon whilst reading it. I recieved some funny looks from the others working with me, but when l showed them some of the stories (the navy one by Ancient Mariner being a good example) they joined me in the laughing.
    A really good book. I look forward to the sequal.