Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pull up a bollard - Memoirs of a Matelot.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
*the above story is all lies. No mess deck has illegal beer stowages. We all drink our three cans a day and nothing more.

Why would you even need a beer stowage?

I would never have been a civilian searider aboard Kent in 2006 or so, visiting for some trials in the Gulf; where an invitation to the Senior Rates' Mess for 'a drink or two' turned into "how many of those bulkhead and deckhead panels have booze behind them?" while they played "let's ruin the civilian visitor" - I ended up with them having to break out the vodka, before they got me under the table. At least they carried me back to my bunk in what used to be the sonobuoy store, and only dropped me once or twice on the way.

Lesson learned, shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke, et cetera. Missed breakfast, made CO's prayers, fought the hangover most of the day, we got really good support from the ship for the trials we'd asked them to do.

If I'd been there, which I wasn't.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Rooting through some old phots and found this:
HMS Cumberland '97, during Ex Purple Star. Was alongside in New York and one of the lads had all the dollars for the whole ship 'cheque cashing' for the fleet week run ashore. Before he went round all the messdecks to issue it out I took the opportunity to have a phot taken with it all. It was mostly in 50 and $100 denominations. God knows how much I had on me.

image1[160] - Copy.JPG

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Rooting through some old phots and found this:
HMS Cumberland '97, during Ex Purple Star. Was alongside in New York and one of the lads had all the dollars for the whole ship 'cheque cashing' for the fleet week run ashore. Before he went round all the messdecks to issue it out I took the opportunity to have a phot taken with it all. It was mostly in 50 and $100 denominations. God knows how much I had on me.

View attachment 508000

Fuck me, look at the palatial size of that mess deck.

Are you even a matelot if you were on 22s?

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
**** me, look at the palatial size of that mess deck.

Are you even a matelot if you were on 22s?

You've been on the 45s, haven't you?

I used to get put in what on the Darings was called the "austerity accommodation" (the thirty-bunk Embarked Forces mess). Or, what on older ships, would have been "the accommodation"...

And then there's the carrier... which is nice, at least for a couple of weeks.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You've been on the 45s, haven't you?

I used to get put in what on the Darings was called the "austerity accommodation" (the thirty-bunk Embarked Forces mess). Or, what on older ships, would have been "the accommodation"...

And then there's the carrier... which is nice, at least for a couple of weeks.

I’ve never actually slept on a 45. Did a stint on Dragon a few years back but that was in dry dock so I was living in Nelson.

Also spent 3 minutes on the quarterdeck of Diamond in the middle of the Gulf, just to prove they could get an engineering team from the U.K. on to a deployed ship at sea at short notice.

And been drunk in the Chief’s mess of Daring or Dauntless while catching up with old oppos.

That’s pretty much it.

Latest Threads