Pudding v Dessert

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Ozduke, May 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably been done to death on here already, but I'm trying to educate these Aussies on a little decorum.

Any handy tips on the Pudding v Dessert row?
  2. It's called Duff in the RN!!!! :D
  3. Both:

Dessert = cheese & fruit
    Pudding = well, pudding...

[Source: Debrett's]
  4. That's right - Plum Duff!!
  5. There is a distinction, dammt, and their nannies ought to have taught them - even in Australiashire-on-Pacific.

A dessert is a cold, uncooked, usually rather simple amuse-gueule - as it might be a sherbet or an ice-cream or a trifle or such.

A Pudding is an altogether more serious proposition, having been lovingly prepared and cooked - as it might be treacle pudding, marmalade pudding, rice pudding, sago ditto and on and on and on. 8)

Food for Heroes! :D

Have they no Christians at all in Australiashireland?? 8O
  6. If it's better with custard on't, then it's pudding.
  7. Almost as good a definition as we'll get . . . . 8)

Well done! :D
  8. I understand the definition of each, but the course as per the menu - ought it to "Pudding"? "Dessert" just sounds so Euro.
  9. Does it matter, as long as they use their 'Serviettes' correctly?

Huh, bloody snobs :D
  10. How about 'afters'? You'll be trying to tell me that dinner isn't in the middle of the day next...
  11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

While we 're at it a couple of pointers regarding dunking various things in tea would be much appreciated too!
  12. Ginger nuts.

Select your variety wisely!
  13. According to Debrett's Guide to Etiquette (frankly, I need all the help I can get to keep my foot out of my mouth), the course is known as pudding, unless it's fruit, in which case it's a dessert. It is never a sweet.
  14. Just to muddy the waters a little, isn't the Haggis known as the "Great Chieftan Of The Pudding Race"?
  15. Mutt - my understanding also.