Pubs ban threat for rowdy Royal Marines

Oh the humanity..... :D

Pubs ban threat for rowdy marines

By Andrew Jarret

THE COMMANDING officer at RM Condor yesterday vowed he would personally deal with any member found bringing the unit’s good name into disrepute after a rowdy weekend in Arbroath which saw bars closed early on the advice of the police.

Lieutenant Colonel Oliver Lee said he would make it his business to bring a halt to any further unacceptable conduct or behaviour by marines enjoying the hospitality of the town’s bars.

The senior officer said he was even prepared to take the “draconian” action of banning servicemen from drinking in the town if any further serious concerns are brought to his attention.

It is understood a number of pubs in Arbroath were closed early on the advice of police at the weekend after the behaviour of some Royal Marines got out of hand.

The unit has just returned from what was called an “intense” training deployment to Norway.

Some problems were experienced in the town after the unit’s return from operations in Afghanistan last summer, leading to counter-claims the marines were being discriminated against by licence-holders.

This weekend there were reports of young commandos fighting among themselves, obstructing police officers, giving unwanted attention to women and general, unacceptable rowdy and drunken behaviour.

One drinker in the Central Bar said trouble started after six police officers came into the pub.

“I don’t know what happened exactly but it looked as if they went to apprehend someone and it all just flared up from there,” he said.

“We’d just gone in and ordered a drink but the barman told us to drink up and that the bar was being closed.

“We were also in the Ship but had left there after a scuffle broke out. I heard there was a bit of trouble in Wetherspoons and there was also fighting outside the Anchor in the West Port.”

Local councillor David Fairweather, who has in the past acted as a peacemaker between the Condor base and the licensed trade, had been attempting to broker a deal between pub and club owners and military chiefs with a view to having the ban on service personnel lifted in certain establishments.

Yesterday he said he was very disappointed to hear reports of bars being shut and said he could understand why publicans were reluctant to welcome service personnel.

“We were on the verge of a meeting between licensees and chiefs at Condor with ideas which could have led to some form of compromise, but this may have been spoiled,” he said.

“I have spoken to the lieutenant colonel, who is being made aware of what happened at the weekend and he told me that he takes a very dim view of any behaviour that puts 45 Commando into any form of disrepute.

“He has assured me that anyone causing a problem to publicans or the public will be dealt with robustly in an appropriate manner.”

Mr Fairweather said he has been working with club owner Fraser Ogston, who has a ban on service personnel, on a scheme where marines would be allowed in one night a week.

He said, “Mr Ogston has been very fair and is prepared to listen but why should local businesses be minded to help when they hear of these sorts of problems?

“There is still the possibility that something can be done but the behaviour will have to be impeccable.”

Mr Fairweather said, “If the bridges are burnt this time then I don’t think they will be offered again.”

Lt Col Lee said yesterday that he places a great deal of importance on the relationship between RM Condor and Arbroath.

“I have been explicit to the local community and explicit to the men of this Commando that I see a really effective, meaningful and complementary relationship existing between Arbroath in particular, Angus as whole, and 45 Commando and I am determined that we continue to walk down this road,” he said.

“I don’t yet have the full details of what is said to have happened over the weekend but what I have got is an absolute zero tolerance policy for unacceptable behaviour of this Commando.

“I will get to the bottom of this and will deal with anyone identified as being responsible.”

He was “extremely grateful” to hear the door has not been closed yet, and added he would be delighted to take part in any meaningful forum with licensees.

Central Bar proprietor Jim Dear confirmed he closed his bar on police advice. He added he was disappointed by what happened on Saturday night but hopes it will not be repeated.

“We’ve always enjoyed a good relationship with the marines and I went to Condor on Sunday where I had a very constructive meeting with the acting sergeant major,” he said.

“I made my views very clear and I was satisfied that the issues I raised were taken very seriously.”

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2010/03/09/newsstory14668997t0.asp

DISGRACEFULL!! That would never have happened in my day..... err :oops: :oops:

As I recall from my time there, the problem was less about Royal getting out of hand than local yokels coming into town to try their luck with the lads.... and coming in 2nd

auscam said:
Tut tut, it couldn't happen here...
Yeah coz there aren't enough of you to start anything :D

And you're all Aussie moffies, obviously.

You've been neglecting me :cry: you said you loved me.

He'll be back again when his sack fills up.

eodmatt said:
He'll be back again when his sack fills up.
He's Santa?

In a manner of speaking. He only comes once a year.

I'm trying to think of something better than that, and failing..

No mention of roll mats or naked bar... quiet weekend then and another non-story from Arrse own Uncle Sam's Misguided Child and gobshoite...

What will tomorrow's offering be? Soldiers spill a drink whilst going for a curry in Aldershot shock horror!!!

futurebootie said:
auscam said:

I've been busy thrusting dropbear fangs into your effigy, the effects should manifest themselves any time now...

It was never like that when I were a lad...the boys used to go into Dundee for trouble and totty!

C

cloudbuster

Having driven through Arbroath (once, doors locked, windows up) I'm with Cuddles. It may be convenient, but hardly registers on the scale of top nights out, even in Scotland.

auscam said:
futurebootie said:
auscam said:

I've been busy thrusting dropbear fangs into your effigy, the effects should manifest themselves any time now...
Which part of my anatomy should I be watching?

futurebootie said:
auscam said:
futurebootie said:
auscam said:

Why, all of it, of course :twisted:

auscam said:
futurebootie said:
auscam said:
futurebootie said:
auscam said:

There's a thread all about the likes of you two here:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=145542.html

Now jog on ladies and get a room...

StickyToffeePudding said:
auscam said:
futurebootie said:
auscam said:
futurebootie said:
auscam said:

Got a bit confused with how quotes work there princess?

And be gentle with me, my koala shagging compadre.

At a time when 32 pubs a week are closing in the UK you'd think they'd be glad of a few hard-drinking Marines putting money across their bars. I've never known anyone in uniform to fight more than they drink on a night out so what's the problem?

The RAF don't fight at all because cocktails are too expensive to spill.

Markintime said:
At a time when 32 pubs a week are closing in the UK you'd think they'd be glad of a few hard-drinking Marines putting money across their bars. I've never known anyone in uniform to fight more than they drink on a night out so what's the problem?

The RAF don't fight at all because cocktails are too expensive to spill.
I didn't know about this, the things you learn eh.
Is this more elfin safety?

futurebootie said:
StickyToffeePudding said:
auscam said:
futurebootie said:
auscam said:
futurebootie said:
auscam said:

Got a bit confused with how quotes work there princess?
Yeah, soz, you offering yourself up on a plate for some bum love just had me so sickend I dropped a bollock, just like you want Auscam to do in your mouth... :roll: