Publicising your training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Jan 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We know everyone turns in and gets told about training e.g. adverts on the walls, training programme, announced during parades....

But is that a tad old fashioned? Emails and texts now seem to be common place but is that the 'army' embracing common media methods of the noughties???

Take this weekend for example. Had little contact via traditional means (aka phone) but loads on facebook, arrse, MSN Messenger etc. Won't be suprised if I walk into a C3 paradox, getting told not to organise training via the internet but most people will be attending because it was publicised on the internet (I doubt this is typical, just a number of sub units are remote from the snowed in main location)
  2. msr

msr LE

I like this:

Attached Files:

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It has been said before but whoever attended that weekend was either sorely disappointed that everything was not done that was shown on the advert, or severely short changed by a number of rushed, bluffed lessons. There is a couple of weekends worth of work there - at least - if done properly.

If it were a commercial advert, the ASA would have something to say about it. If you are going to advertise your training, make sure that the adverts meet reality, and that the "reality" is achievable.

We use posters and sign up sheets in the TAC, training programmes sent to the soldiers, email and telephone calls - and still have to take a best guess on who will turn up!
  4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

And the rest! You could base a couple of month's worth of training program around that list.

Ref WO's. The fashion at our unit is for 'rapide' group texts and emails. Section commanders then chase up their flocks for attendance figures.
  5. msr

msr LE

I didn't say it was perfect, I said I liked it ;)

I am not sure what the security ramifications of planning a TA w/e via facebook are however.

Why are you not using armynet?

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Not perfect? You would need a time machine to keep going back to the start of the weekend time after time to get through it all.

As a point of interest, how did it run? Did everyone come out of it fully Ninja'd up? :D
  7. msr

msr LE

It was some time ago and I don't think I could make it... but I seem to recall a bit of 'sweat, grin, brag' on the next Tuesday.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Did they all run around telling everyone that they are "soldier first" and can "do infantry stuff as well as an infantryman, but also do signals"? :D
  9. He's funny - he makes me laugh!
  10. msr

msr LE

Well, seeing as I am in an artillery unit, er, no :)

It was a fun weekend, you know that old fashioned and (it would appear) deeply unpopular retention stuff...
  11. No, he's right. My unit has a Private Community on ArmyNet detailing all the admin bits that you need to know about as soon as they are known by the grown-ups.

It avoids postal problems and assists your personal admin by not having to find the letter you received six weeks ago.
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

There is a big difference between "fun" and "sheer comedy"!

Banter aside, it is possible to do retention positive, fun, realistic and achievable training. If whichever lunatic planned that weekend had stripped out some of his dozens of TOs, this could easily have been achieved.

Contact drills theory in the Saturday morning, then a few walk throughs, then a few noisy runs through. Throw in some vehicle drills and you have a really interesting, noisy and relevant days training. Do the same at night to see how much harder it is in C2 terms. On Sunday, do the same with urban patrols or room clearance drills.

2 days of good training and genuinely relevant to anyone, whatever their capbadge or role. They all run the risk of a convoy being ambushed, and potentially getting involved in urban ops if accompanying patrols working from a FOB location.

Relevant - check.
    Loads of blank/pyro - check
    Physically challenging - check
    Mentally challenging - check (esp for comds)
    Fun - check (I have been doing these sorts of things for years and still get a buzz out of it, so even more so for soldiers who have not done much of it before)
  13. msr

msr LE

I'll let him know :roll:
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Please do. If he wants to know how to plan some infantry training, suggest he gives his nearest infantry unit a call - they know what is achievable.

I am planning on going an interest weekend on the artillery soon. I propose to cover gun drills, misfire drills, laying/aiming and fire missions on Saturday morning followed by fire discipline over the norgies of stew at lunch. In the afternoon I will teach everyone fire control orders including coord illume and smoke tasks. On Sunday we will put everything together with a grand finale - we will occupy the gun line before first light, adjust all target, fire a Bg fire plan and bug out before the coaches arrive at 1100hrs.

Does that sound OK?
  15. Our Coy use a secret Group on Facebook, which cannot be viewed by anyone else other than members, and only designated administrators can add members. Seems to work in terms as letting everyone know what is going on, but nothing that would compromise OPSEC etc is posted.