Public urged to help locate hidden wartime 'Scallywag' bunkers

That's the one. Good work.

@wheelchairwarrier's earlier comments reminded me of a 'find' I made about 20 years ago when I was wandering around woodland not far from my parents home near Win Green in Wiltshire (grid reference ST927209).

I walked off the bridle path down a steep wooded bank and found a green door placed in the side of the ridge. It was about 6' high and partially concealed. There was a slight flow of air coming from within via small gap in the door. I assumed this meant there was another entrance.

I went back a few months later but couldn't find the correct location. My father reckoned there was some sort of 'installation' in the area but I'm not sure how he would have known.

In a completely unrelated incident much later I inadvertently landed my paraglider a little further down the ridge and nearly landed on an FFR Landy. It was well concealed and part of a section of 264 Signals (I think). They were using the high ridge as a repeater station for an exercise taking place, presumably, on the Plain.
Grovely Woods?

Lots of old WW2 bunkers etc there

TamH70

MIA
That's the one. Good work.

@wheelchairwarrier's earlier comments reminded me of a 'find' I made about 20 years ago when I was wandering around woodland not far from my parents home near Win Green in Wiltshire (grid reference ST927209).

I walked off the bridle path down a steep wooded bank and found a green door placed in the side of the ridge. It was about 6' high and partially concealed. There was a slight flow of air coming from within via small gap in the door. I assumed this meant there was another entrance.

I went back a few months later but couldn't find the correct location. My father reckoned there was some sort of 'installation' in the area but I'm not sure how he would have known.

In a completely unrelated incident much later I inadvertently landed my paraglider a little further down the ridge and nearly landed on an FFR Landy. It was well concealed and part of a section of 264 Signals (I think). They were using the high ridge as a repeater station for an exercise taking place, presumably, on the Plain.

I was brought up to refer to those blokes as 26Blah when I were a sprog at 8 Sigs.

as well as a copy of ‘Total Resistance’, the guerrilla warfare manual written in 1957 by Swiss Major Hans von Dach'

Still widely available and much revisited and loved by survivalists, rabid gun freaks, preppers, end timers, apocalypse types, right wing militias and assorted nutters.

I have a copy (but am none of the above).

Grovely Woods?

Lots of old WW2 bunkers etc there

The site I was referring to is nearer the Dorset border, not far from Berwick St John. When I was wandering the Ox droves and by ways there were some great walks in that part of Wiltshire- however one was blocked by Madonna when she and Ritchie bought Ashccombe House with a right of way through it. Money talks and she was able to legally close the byway.

My UK family home is in Dorset, only about 15 miles from there I shall have to go exploring if I ever manage to get back to the UK (3 weeks quarantine on return to HK at the moment)

My UK family home is in Dorset, only about 15 miles from there I shall have to go exploring if I ever manage to get back to the UK (3 weeks quarantine on return to HK at the moment)

Win Green is a good starting point. Looking at an OS the approximate site of the door would have been in an area between 50°59'15.2"N 2°05'57.2"W and 50°59'15.1"N 2°05'49.3"W

Madonna's old gaff is at 50°58'29.8"N 2°05'48.2"W, although Guy Ritchie took ownership as part of the divorce settlement.

I'm sure this bollocks is very important in a pandemic.....
Still No pandemic fella. Though you could argue that if there were & i shared your view, even reading ARRSE or doing anything frivellous would be wrong. A quick look on tv or outside your window would show that much of normal life goes on .....
I can’t be bothered beyond this brief reply to look but i’m guessing you haven’t cut & pasted your remark on every thread on here.
Miserable indeed

Still No pandemic fella. Though you could argue that if there were & i shared your view, even reading ARRSE or doing anything frivellous would be wrong. A quick look on tv or outside your window would show that much of normal life goes on .....
I can’t be bothered beyond this brief reply to look but i’m guessing you haven’t cut & pasted your remark on every thread on here.
Miserable indeed
Much as I think that Dax is a miserable twunt, if you are denying that there is a pandemic then you need to give your head a wobble. Either way, this isn't the thread for that debate.

At a loose end today and we went off to the suspected location of the hideaway. with the ex and the current of the property. The thing is there is a depression where we though the base should be, no amount of metal detecting or light digging revealed any thing to indicate the existence of any subterranean works, just some well rotted timbers, a bit of a disappointment , at first.
( pause for effect )

However a late arriving visitor turns up with some interesting information, He recounts that a wooden and canvas building was on this site used to store decoy aircraft for RNAS Rattray also known as HMS Merganser. He thinks that one of these decoys is still in existence, having seen it a while back ( turns out to be about 30years ago !)

Back to the bunker, Yep it is/was in a parcel of woodland east of the village just down the road past the ruined kirk on some RSBP land. he tells us Just like that !
Now we have to work out a way of getting access / permission to have a look . Incidentally the remains of the store we prevoiusly located is only some 500mtr to the north , the terrain between the two sites provides perfect cover.
More work to do before the summer ends.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Now we have to work out a way of getting access / permission to have a look . Incidentally the remains of the store we prevoiusly located is only some 500mtr to the north , the terrain between the two sites provides perfect cover.
More work to do before the summer ends.
Find me shiny.

TamH70

MIA

Latest Threads