Public Service Announcement - You & Yours BBC R4

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PE4rocks, Oct 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The programme was mostly about the Armed Forces and included Gen Jackson estimating that due to faulty or non-supplied eqpt there are 50-60 KIA that need not have happened.

and(from memory, sorry I was driving, quite fast, at the time)

"If the Minister wants to call me emotional then I suggest he stands with a family by a graveside if he wants to see emotion" or words to that effect.

May I recommed the excellent Listen Again feature on the BBC website?

Edited to add Linky

BT

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Not like you. I presume you were waiting for the Archers.

3. Worth a listen but put it on mute for a few minutes when the first caller comes on. Navy brat and all round mong child by the sounds of it!

4. It was SWMBO wheels, I thought it could do abit of a blast, clean the injectors like. And FOYRNB.

5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I enjoyed the programme, and thought the politician had to squirm a bit, especially when Frederick Forsyth had a go at him. Didn't like the way he called the soldier's mum a liar though, and avoided the issue that there aren't enough choppers so priorities sometimes mean people go without stuff.

The TA officer was good too.

No-one mentioned the non-flying helicopters, and no-one asked how much of the 'mahoosive budget' he was always going on about is actually spent on the BRITISH forces, rather than donated to our EU colleagues.

6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

7. Its a pity the editorial team allowed the contributors to cut across each other chasing several distinct topics, namely:

1. historic lack of funding for the Armed Forces

2. historic lack of care for veterans

3. Armed Forces' current relations with joe public

4. Shortfalls (of everything) on current operations

5. How 1-4 demonstrate that the Military Covenant is broken

It could/should have been a much more joined up programme.

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Hmm. If it had been that, the politician would have known he was in for a beating and would probably have refused to participate.

It's one reason I don't really like phone-ins, but prefer well-informed, properly-researched, tenacious journalists, asking awkward questions and making the bu99ers squirm.

Not enough of it about any more, I'm afraid.

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Denied by Mr Ainsworthy. How we laughed especially as I was in my local TA Centre at the time and they were packing up all their sight's to go off to the Reg's as they have not got enough.

What a shame that politicians cannot be done for lying.