Public Sector Workers! if you dont like the proposed cuts...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sebcoe, Jun 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Then get a Job in the Private Sector!!

Reading Sky news on line, there seems to be a lot of whining about the propsed cuts in the public why are people whinging why don't they look for other opportunities?

I know Gordo spent billions for red tape, giving slackers in the public sector some paperclips to push around....why not cut the public sector by a third & see how they manage.....
  2. Agreed! Which third do you propose-Army, Navy or RAF?

3. Leeds for example, drenched in ALMO's with sub groups within each, such as Customer Engagement, Customer Involvement, Tenant Participation, ect ect. All these types of teams are replicated throughout boroughs across the North in particular with up to 4 officers per team bagging 24-36 k for a 37.5 hour week with full on sexy flexi time.

Ive worked alongside these type of people on PFI contracts and the terminally useless c*nts rack up the hours attending resident group coffee mornings, 'chit chat' groups and ward meetings but conveniently swerve planning and project meetings or, to be honest anything that required standing up in front of a room full of contractors and doing their job
  4. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Great idea as the private sector is obviously understaffed and crying out for people. Let Group 4 run the Paras and save any future embarresment.
  5. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

1. A lot of the jobs in the public sector were 'created' under the last government.
    2. The public sector's productivity has shrunk by over 3% whilst the private sector's has grown by 28% in the last decade (NAO).
    3. The pay difference (which was the driver for the generous pensions) has narrowed and in some cases, swapped.
    4. The public sector's pension is paid for by current taxpayers and contributors - there is no invested 'pot'.
    5. Their pension was designed for 8 years' retirement - there are now ex workers who are 'retired' longer than they worked.
    6. The public sector has a strong union presence who demand, through collective bargaining, inflationary pay rises.
    7. The last time the public sector was minced by the government, we were losing the work to the foreigners as a large section was made up of nationalised industries.
    8. The private sector has 7,400 companies with defined benefit pension schemes for which the last government created an insurance scheme lest the companies folded under unrealistic debt.
    9. If a company folds and there is no pension pot left, the workers have little claim.
    10. A pension does not register highly on the debt priority in the current leveraged climate.

So it's going to be a case of public vs private sector. Should be interesting.

Today they said that the North is going to be harder hit. They didn't mention Wales but then if you've got the majority of the workforce employed by the public sector, then they are bound to take a solid thump.
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There are many difficulties. Don't forget that there are people who work very hard to shuffle paperclips as efficiently as they can. Unsurprisingly they resent being called slackers as they are working hard to do what they are being paid to do. The fact that the oaf Brown employed them for unnecessary work is not their fault and they will deeply resent being called slackers or being dumped on the scrap heap.

Also don't forget that a lot of people would look at the Armed Forces and consider that an awful lot of unnecessary paperclip shuffling goes on there and wonder why the tax payer needs to fund it.

Where I do have some sympathy with your view is that I think those in the public pay who are doing quite well should be prepared to take a pay cut.
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The same deal is on offer to private sector workers. If you don't like the pension arrangements, get a job in the public sector. (Or are you earning too much money but somehow it is not enough to put some aside for a pension?)
  8. When the sun was shining and the economy was good, my self employed brother in law builder used to take the piss out of me for having fixed monthly wages, no overtime and having to fork out about £400 a month for my pension. Now the work has gone downhill and he is struggling, he does nothing but moan about the Public Sector, 'high wages' and golden pensions!

You can't win !
  9. Correct. The last government spun the unemployment data using 'non-jobs' as much as it spun the data using incapacity benefit and bogus training courses.

The problem's exacerbated by the fact that, since the sixties, lefties have held the opinion that every election won comes with an Olympic sized swimming pool full of money to dive in to. We're supposedly in the middle of the worst economic crisis since the 1930s, yet councils are still recruiting fekkin' totem pole artists and carbon footprint reduction managers on six figure packages.

When Harriet Harman, inevitably, starts whining about lost jobs after tomorrow's budget, remember what kind of jobs she's talking about.

Polly Toynbee dedicated he Guardian column a few weeks ago to lamenting the forthcoming demise of the free swimming sessions that she's entitled to because she's over 60. She just doesn't get the concept of "free". Polly's "free" swimming is only free to her. It's paid for by the taxes of an army of serfs earning a fraction of what she's on.

Remember millionaire Polly and her welfare benefits tomorrow when Harriet tries to tell us about the kiddies of welfare recipients who will now be starving due to evil Tory cuts.
  10. I'd love to see this golden pension that gets banded about. I contribute 7.5% of my wages to my pension, I believe my employer matches it. Too many people reading the Daily Mail me thinks. If you look at HMF, no employee contribution. Still a nice pension at the end of 22 years though isn't it?

As for exuberant wage increases, 1% this year, 0% next year and 0.5% the following year. Hardly a pay rise is it, considering inflation is sitting at around 4.5%.

But in the end it doesn't matter, something has to give, public sector being it. They dare not hit education, police or health so frontline local councils will see the brunt of it, say goodbye to libraries, care of gardens, transport for the elderly/infirm/hadicapped/delinquents.

On that last point, the delinquents part. I have a family member who drives a taxi, he has a couple of contracts to take 2 kids to school and pick them up at the end of the day. £300 a week per child is what he gets, x 40 weeks of the year. £24,000 a year to take 2 kids to school because they're a bit naughty. It less than 2 miles from their houses to the school. Go figure.
  11. Afternoon AM - how are you?

Quick question - any evidence that Carbon Reduction Footprint Managers earn £100k p.a. - I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything. I am sure you can support your assertion with evidence?

Also, the bizarre "totem pole artist" isn't a job, it's an ITT - or a contract. In addition, it's being funded by lottery money - not taxpayers money. How much would the person completing that contract expect to earn per annum?
  12. 100% correct. In the public sector we take lower wages in exchange for security and a half decent pension. So with the new system, lower wages, no security and crap pension that you will have to pay for.......... where will the incentive be for the public sector workers of the future?

We take the piss out of the MOD Civil Service but actually, most are quite good and motivated people. With worse pay etc we will end up with complete idiots supporting us as they will be the only ones willing to work for nothing.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You are my hero - I think you are posessed by Dennis Thatcher and Margaret is speaking to you in your dreams... :D
  14. The situation summed up.
  15. The Army IS the public sector, ditto doctors & nurses.

Duw Aye!