Public sector pension review - the armed forces will be stagging on until aged 60

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by agoodgrouping, Jun 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This looks worrying if the Telegraph have got this right

Public sector pensions: the key questions - Telegraph

Q I'm a policeman. Does this mean I'll be walking the beat when I'm 66?

No. Uniformed public sector workers such as the police, firemen and the armed forces are excluded from the proposal to raise the retirement age to 66. However, they will still have to work longer. In his report, Lord Hutton recommended a normal pension age of 60 "for those members of the uniformed services – armed forces, police and firefighters – who currently have a normal pensions age of less than 60".

Bugger !

2. Hahahahahaha.
    Huttons a knob.

Can you be a Soldier at 60?
    A Firefighter? A policeman.

Can you bollocks.

The mans an arse.

3. What he prolly means is that no one will get a full pension until age 60 as opposed to the current age 55. Already got mine so I'm alright Jack.

4. Funny you should say that,my sister-in -law is 63 in November,works as a PC with the West Midlands Constabulary,commutes from Gloucester to Handsworth in Birmingham every day,and loves it.

She has got shitloads of Chief Constables commendations,and her fitness levels are unbelievable,and she walks the beat,been offered numerous desk jobs,turned them all down,they now send her out with all the probationers,to teach them people skills,she has 4 grown up kids,and if anyone mentions retirement,she would probably deck them.

So if she can do it for the foreseeable future,why not 66 ?

5. Yeah. You're probably right for the Army. I think you have something like that now.

Firefighters and Police. No.
    30 years or 55 apart from new joiners (Fire) since 2006 which is 60.

He's still an Arse though!

6. Pretty damn good.
    She's more the exception than the norm though.

7. It was only 3 years ago that her PF rep told her she didn't have to do her yearly fitness assesment (she was a late starter),as the men in her station didn't do,she didn't need to either.

About 5 years ago she was on the beat,when 2 Asian youths jumped out of an alley and one of them smacked in the face,knocked her down,and the pair of them ran of,she told a local taxi driver to contact the station for back up.
    She chased after the one who had punched her,3/4 of a mile later she rugby tackled him to the ground,handcuffed him to a traffic sign,and caught the other one a couple of hundred yards down the road,put an arm lock on him,and frog marched him back to the other one.
    Back up arrived and the two of them were taken down the station,and charged.
    Whilst there,they phoned a brief who turned up demanded photos were taken of his two clients before they were treated by a doctor,because they were covered in blood,statements were taken and they got bail.

Three months later the case came to court,sis in law comes to give her evidence,and much is made by the defence about alleged Police Brutality,the defence said that his 2 clients had been set about,by the police in the van taking them to the station,and duly produced the photos that the lawyer had insisted on at the police station,showing his blood spattered clients,and giving my sis in law no time to reply.
    The prosecution then asked her how these injuries had occured to the 2 accused,she said nothing had occured,the prosecution then produced the doctors report,which showed that the blood was all from my sis in law,but the broken jaw from the first one was due to him resisting arrest,when my sister caught up with him.

18 months apiece,CC commendation,needless to say I'm on very good terms with her. ;-)

8. Good luck to her, tough old bird ......still a PC though at her age, hardly a flyer then. My experience of policemen is that they normally retire around 50 with a pension and perks the Army would love to have. Not sure you are ex-mil but other ranks (not officers) in the Army usually serve far less than 10 years, their career max is normally 22 years (40 years old normally) but most have no opportunity to stay at the lowest rank (ie PC like her) as will have been eased out long before then by manning control points for not being promoted from the lowest rank (her PC). We have lots of fit guys who would love to serve a full career, beyond 40 if poss, but we need combat troops not PCs whose idea of a bad night is just a few drunks - it is policing NOT war-fighting. She has a job that allows her to serve to that age, the Army do not get that option - most do not get the chance to serve to the 'normal' pension point of 55......but most police can if they want. I note that there are no vacancies in any UK police forces on their recruiting pages at the moment, no surprise that the plods know they are on a good thing. Army & Bill - it's a different ball game.

9. I think that you will find that the proposal is that former members of HM Forces will only recieve a pension at 60, regardless of the age they were discharged.

So if you served for 22 years & left at 40, you'd have to wait 20 years for your gratuity & pension.

Can't find a link or any proof but this came out in my own unions pension negotiations.

10. Well I heartily suggest they look at the TACOS and beef up the payments else where... more pay, more incentive. Otherwise they'll have difficulty holding on to the 85,000 (or whatever) they DO want to keep. The Armed Forces would end up as some sort of sink organisation for those who couldn't get a job elsewhere, and more to the point go back to a late 70s scenario. Just before Maggie sorted out our pay.

11. I always believed that the forces pension would increase your pay in civvy street. Because chances are you'd have acheived decent rank by that time so you would probably be doing a job with a lower salary. Also of course, the gratuity would allow a decent deposit on a house.

Public sector workers either expected a, to retire later, or b, pay an increase in contributions, or c, get a lower pension. Not all three.

Maybe the chap from the GMB at the Ginger rodents press conference should have asked if Mp's would be affected in the same way. I think we all know the answer to that, & also why the rodent was so keen to avoid awkward questions by making a quick get away.

12. How many Combat troops in the Army?
    How many support in the various Corps?

I think you're talking "Teeth Arms."

13. There could be a 'saving' or other financial incentive in allowing some trades/pids in the Army to continue past the current 'stop' point.

For example trade instructors in Defence schools, various HQ staff (esp above Div level), support functions and what not.

But isn't that what hte VEng is for? To be versatile?

Would it be cheaper to bring in a civvie (even if they are ex-mil and drawing pension) to instruct at a Phase 2 establishment or to extend a Sgt/SSgt past the 24 year point? Perhaps with an automatic reduction in x-factor to make up for the lack of tour possibilities.

At that point you're looking at a £10,000 pension anyway. Could you find a Civvie instructor of the correct calibre for £25,000 tops?

14. Yep,I did 22+ in the Army,she was a late joiner,and as I say she has turned down many soft options,because she likes the work,having bought up 4 kids she has the skills to relate to people,which is why they send the probbys out with her,on her training course there were 4 younger females,of those 3 applied for and now do desk jobs,the other on who was in her 30's when she joined prefered to stay outside,she still walks the beat for the majority of her time.

15. Yeah. The Bill pay 11% towards their pension for at least 30 years.
    No, it's not an Op tour either. But if you did 22 years how long (If you're Infantry) will you spend outside the wire?
    It's not gold plated and it's not free.
    They do have to work for it.