Public Sector Pay Freeze

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Army_Rizzle, Jun 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, so everyone has hopefully now realised armed forces earning above 21k a year are not going to recieve an april pay rise for two years. Now after this two years are we going to get a super inflation busting pay rise or just the standard 2-3 % again.

2. I would guess 2-3% otherwise it would reduce the effect of freezing it a bit.

3. Is the military not exempt from this pay freeze?

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

No, it's not.

Edited to add - and Pensions are being reduced. See separate post.

5. Historically public sector pay restraint results in bigger catch-up pay rises a few years down the line as widening pay differentials start to cause recruitment & retention problems.

6. Charitably assuming that the private sector will pick up and a differential will emerge, and that the private sector will still value public sector skills.

7. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I like the way I am paid 10-15 thousand pounds less than a legacy HM Revenue and Customs Officer of the same grade, yet apparently we are the 'same' now and will 'imminently' be doing the same job. Fuck a pay rise, how about parity? No chance? Lucky to have a job? Whinging? I ask anyone else in the same boat to swallow that pill without feeling bitter...

8. Careful, Western will be along in a miunte claiming you're a bloke doing a bird's job and blah blah balcony blah do you know who I am blah blah do you know how much I earn blah blah.

Something like that anyway.

9. No chance. In case you haven't noticed, the money's run out. And even the Public Sector now has to start feeling just a little bit of the pain.

10. Unless I've missed something, pensions are not being reduced. The Government has stated that public sector pensions are being reviewed, with a report to be published next year.

I am, however cynical, and read 'reviewed' as 'cost too much and are going to take a hit/require contributions'.

11. Where did this pay freeze rumour/fact come from???

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Wrong, I'm afraid - in the Budget, hidden in the small print, is a statement changing the basis of all public sector pensions from an RPI to a CPI base. What this means? They are going to be worth less from now on, cumulatively, every year. This affects all pensioners from now on, and all those contributing to a Service (or civil Service) pension as well.

For details, see my utterly ignored post:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=152200.html

13. Daxx,

If you read Old Snowys seperate post here http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=152200.html you will see that the Pensions will be index linked to the CPI rather than the RPI as at present. Although the Pensions are not being reduced, the CPI is always lower than the RPI so any Pension increase will be lower than before.

BUGGER - Old Snowy has beaten me to it.

Shiny.

14. Urm, the budget!

See Army Briefing note serial 46/10

15. recruiting is up, retention is no longer an issue, so following the economic principle of supply and demand, expect lower pay.