Public sector faces pay cuts, says Alistair Darling

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Jan 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Funny that. I also assumed that this would just mean the part of the public sector that didn't sit on leather benches.

Perhaps he's going to complete the analogy by talking about the merits of an all-cake diet, next?

2. Signalling pay cuts for some posts, likely to be phased in as positions fall vacant, Darling claimed people would be willing to do the jobs for less.

Equal Pay Act?

“It is not altogether clear to me why we pay very large salaries to people to do the same jobs as were being done 10 years ago for rather less,” he said.

Cost of living? Inflation?

3. I think he's talking about Council chief Executives who earn more the the PM and other heads of various civil service departments who are headhunted, offered higher salaries than their CS counterparts for there alleged business and commercial experience and proceed to make a complete balls up of a public service, staying only long enough to secure a knighthood before retiring or fcuking off back to the private sector.

A career civil servant could have made a complete balls up for half the money!

4. And if they do leave we can get some of those nice chaps in from Accenture at 300 an hour.

5. I'm a civil servant, and I wish they'd link my pay to the private sector, as I reckon I'd be in for a nice uplift.

I work in Central London and the costs of getting there (280 quid a month for a rail ticket) are expensive. And it's a false economy as they can't recruit due to the pay that someone else in a similar job could get in this area of the country (I am fortunate to be at a reasonable grade) that they struggle to recruit, and as such, we have a fair amount of consultants and contractors in staff substitution roles, at the average cost of around 250-300 quid a day. How are they going to recruit staff in and pay them 26 grand to do the same job? If they are serious about cutting staff budgets, I'd recommend getting shut of consultants in staff substitution roles and recruit permanent staff in by making the wages realistic at lower grades.

6. Hammerhead>Nail.

7. Gosh I hope Mr Darling never WAKES UP AND SMELLS THE FU4KING ROSES.
    Bloody Politicians.
    Waste of Bloody Rations.
    Cnut!
    Breath, Breath.

8. This is the inevitable result of a public sector that employs 20% of the working population.
    Approx 30 million people work in the UK, 5.8 million of them are emloyed by the state.

If this country has any hope of financial recovery then government expenditure must be reduced by at least 25%. Wild government spending has lead us to this, to pretend otherwise is just putting your head in the sand. I don't like Darling very much at all but he seems to have a slightly greater grasp of reality than Brown ever has.

9. Rather difficult to start cr@pping on about high pay, "excessive" bonus being anything over £25k etc when you have this sort of public sector troughing going on at senior levels

Public Sector Rich List: Taxpayers Alliance

Still, I am sure the BBC needs 6 people each earning around £500k with a total of 53 earning more tha £150k. It is just as laughable to think that the the Criminal Recors Bureau could do without a Commercial Director for £250k.

10. Just read it - Jesus Christ!

11. Do you? You might be in for a shock particularly as a similar job in the private sector, that pays more, will require the assumption of a great deal more responsibility, flexibility and accountability than that required in the public sector.

No. Permanent staff are expensive (pay + pensions + holidays + sick + trg + other overheads) and they are awfully difficult to get rid of when the reqt for them ceases - hence the mess they call the Redeployment Pool. Far better to retain a core of highly-skilled, fairly paid public servants and supplement through use of temps, casuals and agency.

12. LINK.

The countries that employ a higher percentage of workforce in the public sector have a mix of what I'd see as good and bad economic performance, as well as a mix of nice and nasty societies to live in.

Looks like there's more to it than the bald face of public sector numbers.

13. The domestic general works as a local government officer. They've just been told they're not getting a pay rise for the next 3 years!

14. I wonder if the TA Private Sector Rich List includes any bankers.

But let's have some honesty about public service pay, rather than propagandising:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jan/09/bad-science-ben-goldacre