Public Perceptions and the Mass Media

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jan 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm constantly disappointed by the media's portrayal of soldiers. It seems that every time the army, or ex-soldiers are portrayed on either film, TV, or books, we are either incompetent gung-ho psycopaths, or haunted men with vast arsenals of weapons which we are only a hairsbreadth from unleashing on an unsuspecting public.

What's worse is that people believe this nonsense! Even here on ARRSE I see some posters' who criticise units they have seen portrayed in films on the basis of their actions in these works of fiction.

Examples of some of the worst tosh:

28 Days Later,
    Uncommon Valor,
    Rambo (obviously)
    The Inspector Rebus series of books.

Why do they continue to reinforce these incorrect stereotypes?

If these were portraying a racial minority in this way, they would be banned, but it seems that it's perfectly in order to imply that all soldiers are nutters.
  2. Yea, that 28 days thing that was on the other night.......what a laff
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Thank heavens for documentaries and news teams. When our forces are shown (the real ones), the professionalism and humanity of them shines through.

I'm not aware of any films and things that show British soldiers in such a poor light, unless you count Braveheart or The Last Mohican.
  4. I think the reason is quite simple. Amateur veterans support and amateur PR. Where's the Army's Tatchell type person?
  5. You've forgotten that British classic, Dog Soldiers!!!
  6. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just to add to the list (just asked around the office):

Dalziel and Pascoe (TELIC veteran = psycho)
    Eastenders (A Mitchell brother [I'm told the one who was filled in by his missus in real life]. Also, I've just been told that a Salter brother [ex-Army] is a murderer.)
    Ultimate Farce
    Judge John Deed (recent episode ref war crimes)

Because it's easy and because they're stereotypes.
  7. Though some of the reporting i've seen from afghanistan via the reporters imbedded with the bootnecks is 1st class, as well as the recent episode of dispatches.

It's just the fictional media that makes squaddies look stupid (then again so does the Bill for cops)
  8. Didn't the dispatches guy (excuse me for not looking his name up) hitch a ride with the Afgans because the MOD PR machine refused to allow him to go with our guys?
  9. Come on now, forgive the Eastenders script writers...the only ex-tom they probably knew was a murderer - Leslie Grantham!
  10. And he really was/is a complete and absoute fückin' psycho! When I think of a few of his deranged and drunken rants about "Krauts Nazis and toppin' the lot" at the main NAAFI in Osnatraz, he was a catastrophe waiting to happen. Which it did!

11. Can anyone name me a contempary and 'realistic' fictional character portrayed who was HMF and then went on to do something positive?

I ask because it struck me that I've seen a couple of examples in the US TV which I cannot think of a UK equivalent for. The two in question being "Booth" in Bones currently on Sky and "Mac" in CSI:NY. An ex-Ranger and ex-Marine respectively. Both now in Law Enforcement as they say over there.
  12. corrers - Albert Tatlock
    I believe in one episode he did Ena Sharples up the hoop whilst licking Hilda Ogden and blowing Stan at the same time or am I confusing programmes.

Seriously, there was a doctor in casulty/Holby city who was meant to be ex-RAMC. Don't know what happened to him as I rarely watch TV apart from the SCI-FI.
  13. [​IMG]

Oddly enough, it's currently being shown nightly in Canada on CBC.

(I know, I'll get my coat, but before I do I'll bet money that there are people here who joined up because they thought that all monkeys would look like Holly Aird. ;) )
  14. Two of the coppers in the bill are ex army.

The question ive got is why are all ex-servicemen either army or navy. you never see an ex crab or booty on tv!
  15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Andy McNab?