Public Opinion Flip-Flops

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
That ship has sailed, half the news on the BBC is taken straight from Twitter.
all of it from the guardian though. usually a day or two late because they can't fit it into their packed schedule of half hour cycling of the same four stories over and over and over.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Thongs are standard pub footwear in Aus. You can spot tourists miles away; sandals.

Barefoot at the bar, not served. Thongs, served. It’s health and safety; thongs obviously protect you from tradies in site boots but barefoot doesn’t. Apparently.

1590583513622.png

Used to skydive in flops/thongs/slops when the DZ Untersturmbahnfuhrer would throw his teddies at me jumping with bare feet.

Line stow bungie attached to the middle bit between the toes and looped over the big toe, job's a good 'un.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Is there any real point to this thread, other than people complaining that things have changed? I do not think Stonewall should be compared to the pro peadophile lobby. Concern about ocean pollution by plastics is not Snowflakism, there is real Science. Likewise climate change.

I once saw a film, in which a man was berated by his wife for not beating his daughter black and blue for going out with an unsuitable man. Perhaps that was considered fine in those days?
many pro minority groups have gone from we must have rights to only our rights count. hence jo Biden telling a trans group that prisoners should go to the prison of the sex they choose to identify with rather than what is on their passports.

concern about plastics is due to a real pollution issue with our endless dumping in the seas. climate change has always happened and always will, mankind thinking we can do anything to change that is just mongism of the highest order. CO2 was never a pollutant just a taxation opportunity - they may as well have declared war on oxygen.

we can't even get a long term forecast right which is why the thermageddon models have never been right and never will be without serious fiddling - and yet we are supposed to believe them because a 17 year old girl who has never been laid but listened to her grandfathers discredited climate wibble says so.

bettor to have taken the wasted 3.5 trillion spent on bad science and computer models, cleaned the seas up, had a git big litter pick and planted a few billion trees to change the weather and get rain water where it is wanted..

Yokel

LE
bettor to have taken the wasted 3.5 trillion spent on bad science and computer models, cleaned the seas up, had a git big litter pick and planted a few billion trees to change the weather and get rain water where it is wanted..
Bettor?

What is bad science?

Surely those are the things the environmentalists want? Why do you say Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant? Are you saying burning Carbon fuels does nor produce it, or are you disputing it being a greenhouse gas? You then advocate planting billions of trees. Is that to soak up the Carbon?

woger wabbit

War Hero
When I first arrived in New Zealand, I walked into a bar, and stuck on the door was a sign saying

"No thongs"

I was extremely confused as to how the door staff could tell, and then mused if there was an elite VPL-assessment course the big maori bloke had gone on to check women's underwear whilst they were in the queue.

It wasn't until I'd been in country for a couple of days I learned what "thongs" were in this context...
What! no thinging in the pub, dithgusting.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Bettor?

What is bad science?

Surely those are the things the environmentalists want? Why do you say Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant? You then advocate planting billions of trees? Is that to soak up the Carbon?
spill chocker walt.

thermageddonism is faux science. based on a 120 year old laboratory experiment nobody seems bothered to repeat. how do you create a viable science model and fail to include the main drivers of climate. the IPCC have finally admitted that they must include solar and cosmic rays from now on along with geothermal activity - every time they start some wibble about the hottest year ever NASA comes along with satellite data to dispove it.

CO2 is plant food, as discovered by a nice frenchman who grew a tree in a skip in the 16th century. you do not need a multi billion pound chemical plant to freeze it out of the air and pump it into old gas fields as they seem to want us to do. just plant trees.

we need more trees to move the rain about to where it is wanted and to help store the water. the Med islands North Africa and the levant are mainly that way due to mans activities. - with the wasted AGW money they could have piped water from north europe to south europe to restore the soils and start to replenish the aquifers before piping further into north africa to regreen it - Gadaffi had the right idea he was just using fossilised water. restore the grasses and trees and you potentially revive the deserts.

I agree natural carbon sequestration is a problem fortunately we have volcanoes for that seeing as one active volcano chucks out as much CO2 in a week as 7.8bn of us do in a year. fortunately in part due to mans recycling of sequestered CO2 it has led to a 14% increase in global greening over the past decade.

burn more coal.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I've not heard Greta mention that!
that's cos she knows fcuk all about climate change. just like her grandad the discredited climate scientist

nor does she mention that the global historical average temp for the past 5m years or so is 22 degrees C. Currently we at something like 14.1 degrees. an ice age is called at 12.7 degrees - we are still coming out of the last ice age so obviously we will be getting warmer.

although as it is cyclic we are overdue another mini ice age and it is feasible that our CO2 recycling has kept that at bay for while. although the extra 200,000 active undersea volcanoes NASA found has helped so we have 500,000 warming the oceans and melting the antarctic sea ice

it is easier to adapt than fight it though, the great barrier reef is less than 10,000 years old, the amazon rainforest is under 400 and was never the 'lungs of the planet' as claimed by the likes of FOE.

the weather station we use to claim 'hottest ever' is right next to a great concrete slab containing the worlds busiest airport, next to the M4, A4 and M25 adjacent to a massive concrete heat island. coincidence?

HE117

LE
Used to skydive in flops/thongs/slops when the DZ Untersturmbahnfuhrer would throw his teddies at me jumping with bare feet.

Line stow bungie attached to the middle bit between the toes and looped over the big toe, job's a good 'un.
You're not that tw@t that jumped with us on a night relly at Zhills carrying a candle in a jam jar in lieu of a cylume are you?

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Flip flops, thongs or whatever you want to call them, are known as ‘shower shoes’ in parts of the US.

In the book Air America one of the pilots had the nickname ‘Shower Shoes’ because of his habit of wearing flip flops when flying.

From the book:
There was an Air America pilot by the name of "Shower Shoes" Johnson, on account of the fact that he always wore shower shoes when flying.

He was at survival school when the instructor looked at his shower shoes and said: "Johnson, just how long do you think it would take you to walk out of the jungle in those?"

Johnson replied: "Last time, three days. The time before that, six days."

Apparently the actual name was 'Art “shower shoes” Wilson' not Johnson. And he did wear shower shoes when flying...

Can’t remember If that scene was in the Mel Gibson film of the same name.

Tool

LE
You're not that tw@t that jumped with us on a night relly at Zhills carrying a candle in a jam jar in lieu of a cylume are you?
Or the jumpmaster who had two cut-aways in the first five jumps that he JM'd me on?

Euclid

War Hero
Birkenstock is the way to go, flip flops are so Benidorm.
(But not with socks, unless of course you are "woke")
What! FFS - Birkenstock, like Dubarry boots, are not unisex, no matter what the adverts say. Every bloke I’ve ever seen in either item of footwear has been a cnut. A very specific kind of cnut for Birkenstock and a different, but very specific type of cnut for Dubarry boots.

Cyalumes are for pussies. Wasn't me but I'm not sure what he wanted the candle for. If it was to see his alti that would mean he was wearing one in the first place. Not something I bothered with much. I'd mainly eyeball it and watch the guys around me. Doing CRW it was kind of superfluous and just something else to snag a rigging line.

If the twinkletoes in question was called Peter, I know who you're talking about. Did loads of hops with him and almost killed each other doing stupid shit a time or two.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In genuinely thought this was gonna be a thread about dhobi bats.

I hate flip flops personally. I find the bit that goes between your toes really uncomfortable.

Dr Death

War Hero
If riding a Honda Fireblade on the M25 this morning then Flip flops, string vest & shorts is safe PPE to wear!

smallbore

Old-Salt
Is there any real point to this thread, other than people complaining that things have changed? I do not think Stonewall should be compared to the pro peadophile lobby. Concern about ocean pollution by plastics is not Snowflakism, there is real Science. Likewise climate change.

I once saw a film, in which a man was berated by his wife for not beating his daughter black and blue for going out with an unsuitable man. Perhaps that was considered fine in those days?
I am not complaining about any changes - I am wondering what the next big one will be. The anti-meat/vegetarian/vegan is a possibility but I must accept the future is impossible to gues..

Latest Threads