Public Opinion Flip-Flops

You poms will start calling flip-flops thongs.
The first time I went to Sydney, we were kicked out of a pub because one of our party was wearing thongs - I wondered how the guy could see his underwear. An Aussi pub with dress rules - that's one for the Guiness Book of Records.

Thongs.
Aren't they those things females strap around their nether regions with a very small amount of material covering their growlers, and a piece of dental floss up the crack of their arses?
No, that’s a thong. Single. Shielas wear a thong. Blokes where thongs.

Are you sure that was NZ and not Oz? When I did Long Look they were universally known as Jandals.
Jandals are a pretty tacky brand of Kiwi footwear. Very different from a pair of thongs. Can’t imagine what anyone in Kiwishire would wear them; it would rather be like wearing them in Scotland.
No. Apparently a thong is Australian casual business wear for men!
If you wore your best brogues to walk from my office to the nearest coffee shop, you’d look a complete prick. Wear thongs and you’d be overdressed. Too cold for the Sheilas to wear a thong now though.

NO NO NO NO NO, Sandals, Jesus Creepers and Crocs all wearers of these abhorrent pieces of footwear should be flogged with stinging nettles and the bottoms of their feet beaten with rose thorns then dipped in vinegar.
Fashion victim, eh?

Never mind...

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Yokel

LE
Is there any real point to this thread, other than people complaining that things have changed? I do not think Stonewall should be compared to the pro peadophile lobby. Concern about ocean pollution by plastics is not Snowflakism, there is real Science. Likewise climate change.

I once saw a film, in which a man was berated by his wife for not beating his daughter black and blue for going out with an unsuitable man. Perhaps that was considered fine in those days?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Is there any real point to this thread, other than people complaining that things have changed? I do not think Stonewall should be compared to the pro peadophile lobby. Concern about ocean pollution by plastics is not Snowflakism, there is real Science. Likewise climate change.

I once saw a film, in which a man was berated by his wife for not beating his daughter black and blue for going out with an unsuitable man. Perhaps that was considered fine in those days?
You should read all the posts because we are now discussing or otherwise the relative merits of thongs/flipflops/crocs/jandals and things with socks.

Public opinion changes but it seems now to change so quickly while forgetting its previous views. What is the next major change we could expect ?
Perhaps post Cummings, and to the dismay of Harriet Harperson, maybe the public will start to ignore the court of public opinion

I love Crocs and if anyone doesn't like that they can come round the back of the internet and sort it out.

Black ones for weddings and funerals obviously, I'm not a slob.

Chef

LE

Aisle seven for sense of humour sir.:)

Dominic Cummings telling everyone not to visit relatives ESPECIALLY if showing C19 symptoms, then showing symptoms and visiting his relatives.
Heavens. I could actually feel myself getting stupider whilst reading that sentence.

Bravo, sir.

Obviously catering for tourists!
Thongs are standard pub footwear in Aus. You can spot tourists miles away; sandals.

Barefoot at the bar, not served. Thongs, served. It’s health and safety; thongs obviously protect you from tradies in site boots but barefoot doesn’t. Apparently.

Latest Threads