Public Opinion Flip-Flops

smallbore

Old-Salt
When I was young, homosexuality was illegal and fox-hunting was a healthy sport for young men.

In my adolescence, Harriet Harman, the Paedophile Information Exchange and Stonewall argued strongly for the age of consent to be lowered for adults to have sex with children.

Two years ago there was an outcry against single use plastics but now everyone wants disposable single use plastic gloves,aprons and masks (because of Covid-19).

I think the we are about to have the "mumsnet" anti-vacination (the anti MMR) crowd demand a vaccination for their children before they return to school.

Public opinion changes but it seems now to change so quickly while forgetting its previous views. What is the next major change we could expect ?

When I was young, homosexuality was illegal and fox-hunting was a healthy sport for young men.

In my adolescence, Harriet Harman, the Paedophile Information Exchange and Stonewall argued strongly for the age of consent to be lowered for adults to have sex with children.

Two years ago there was an outcry against single use plastics but now everyone wants disposable single use plastic gloves,aprons and masks (because of Covid-19).

I think the we are about to have the "mumsnet" anti-vacination (the anti MMR) crowd demand a vaccination for their children before they return to school.

Public opinion changes but it seems now to change so quickly while forgetting its previous views. What is the next major change we could expect ?
The wholesale conversion to a vegetarian diet cows spend out their days grazing pigs shit everywhere and we all crave egg banjos sans eggs

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
public opinion hasn't changed they just keep it to them selves due to the gobby minority, virtue signalling and hostile press..

Brexit proved that more than anything. the public has always been pro europe but anti EEC/EU but the govts had never given them a chance to say no.

most are against gay marriage out of principle nothing to do with homophobia, most are anti immigration but are not racist, most do not believe in global warming but do think we are shitting the place up too much and so on.

we often get things forced upon us by politicians trying for their mandela moment or because it is in their 'interests'

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
public opinion hasn't changed they just keep it to them selves due to the gobby minority, virtue signalling and hostile press..

Brexit proved that more than anything. the public has always been pro europe but anti EEC/EU but the govts had never given them a chance to say no.

most are against gay marriage out of principle nothing to do with homophobia, most are anti immigration but are not racist, most do not believe in global warming but do think we are shitting the place up too much and so on.

we often get things forced upon us by politicians trying for their mandela moment or because it is in their 'interests'
The "woke" Establishment like to think they "lead" public opinion. Perhaps in some cases they do, but the majority of the time they simply stifle dissent.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt

Well the plastic and the vaccination is obviously because people are more scared of Covid than measles.
As for the politician you mentioned, well nothing really surprises me about them any more.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
The "woke" Establishment like to think they "lead" public opinion. Perhaps in some cases they do, but the majority of the time they simply stifle dissent.

wokism is telling people how to think or you are wrong, they actively seek out injustice where there isn't any.

its why we aren't allowed to laugh at It aint half hot mum, Benny Hill or Little Britain anymore.

it's a means of quashing freedom of speech to enforce their view of civil rights which is something Martin Luther King and Emily Pankhurst would be horrified at.

we saw it best with brexit by far and that was the turning point I think when you must vote to remain or you are bigotted racist little englander.

the likes of Afua Hirsch and Rachel Johnson spouting their guff on the pledge because they are Black and female or Owen Jones and his my opinion counts more than yours because I'm gay.

if everyone has the right to be offended. then everyone must also have the right to be offensive.

but now we have the police more interested in thought crime than real crime because it looks good on twitter

So - am I ok wearing flip flops or not?

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
When I was young, homosexuality was illegal

Probably men being allowed to have more than one wife, in the UK.
Now a man can marry another man. That's never been allowed before, but more than one wife goes back centuries.

Personally, I think that sooner or later the woke will start to argue amongst themselves.

You can't really have a movement that is pro Islam, feminist, transgender, homosexual etc.

Just look at the way Tommy Robinson tried to jump on the woke bandwagon, with his support for homosexuals or women or whatever it was. Even though he claimed to be anti Establishment, he still felt the need to cosy up to the other elements of the woke Establishment.

Most of the money that the woke Establishment families have now, probably originated in the British Empire slavery business anyway.

Last edited:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes I know its the sun but oddly their you tube stuff is much better.

The prominent one in recent years for me was seeing the Leftwaffe wailing across social media at all the stories in the news of Syrians being attacked by Assad and demanding that our government do something about it, but as soon as the fast air started hitting Assads forces their opinion did a sharp about turn and suddenly it was our warmongering Tory government's fault that Syria is in ruins and as a result we should accept all refugees without question, despite most of them being fighting age men who treat women like crap and would happily throw gay folk off high buildings sans parachute, which goes against what the left claim to stand for.

You poms will start calling flip-flops thongs.

You poms will start calling flip-flops thongs.
When I first arrived in New Zealand, I walked into a bar, and stuck on the door was a sign saying

"No thongs"

I was extremely confused as to how the door staff could tell, and then mused if there was an elite VPL-assessment course the big maori bloke had gone on to check women's underwear whilst they were in the queue.

It wasn't until I'd been in country for a couple of days I learned what "thongs" were in this context...

Latest Threads