Public Health Questions...

Oddly

Oddly, there are many more confirmed cases than suspected cases. The map seems to suggest that to avoid catching the virus, we should move to the suspected source of it.
I assume that there is an effect relating to capacity for testing and tracing. Malaysia though has neither a confirmed or suspected case but is still listed along with a few others [EDIT who have neither category of case.]. The list of countries is nowhere near complete though so why include them at all?

Last edited:
Would anyone object if I asked the mods to move this thread to Current Affairs? It looks like the monkeypox story may run for a bit and it would be good to not have to deal with NAAFI rules when discussing it.

Would anyone object if I asked the mods to move this thread to Current Affairs? It looks like the monkeypox story may run for a bit and it would be good to not have to deal with NAAFI rules when discussing it.
If you feel tied by NAAFI rules, you'll be suicidal after a week in CA. You realise that you won't be able to just post a daily (or whatever) update, you'll be expected to provide an in-depth analysis without any sort of plagiarism? That's if the residents of CA don't stop you in your tracks because there's no significant military content. CA is the most inappropriately titled forum on the site.

You may be better off in the Int Cell which has more relaxed rules (than CA) yet tends to be frequented by a better-behaved clientele.

If you feel tied by NAAFI rules, you'll be suicidal after a week in CA. You realise that you won't be able to just post a daily (or whatever) update, you'll be expected to provide an in-depth analysis without any sort of plagiarism? That's if the residents of CA don't stop you in your tracks because there's no significant military content. CA is the most inappropriately titled forum on the site.

You may be better off in the Int Cell which has more relaxed rules (than CA) yet tends to be frequented by a better-behaved clientele.
You have a very good point. I just had a look and the COVID-19 forum is in the same part of the site as the Intelligence Cell. I'm just looking for something of similar seriousness, so your suggestion is better than my original idea.

So, I amend my suggestion to say that Int Cell would be a good location.

As no one has objected to moving this thread to the Int Cell, I would like to request that one of the mods please move this current thread (Public Health Questions) to "The Intelligence Cell" for the purposes of carrying on a discussion on monkey pox.

The reasons for this are:
  1. One of the people following this thread has requested that I post on this subject here rather than in the COVID-19 threads.
  2. Discussion about monkey pox has been taking place in the COVID-19 threads for some time.
  3. This will provide a thread where discussion about miscellaneous minor plagues can be conducted.
  4. The existing posts on this thread are fairly civilized so and so don't belong in the NAAFI.

I have a number of posts to make on the subject which I have been saving until the thread is moved, so the thread will be active when we find out if it is going to be moved, or if we will need to start a new one.

The following mods appear to have authority in both forums.
@Boris_Johnson , @Guns , @Sixty

Sixty

ADC
As no one has objected to moving this thread to the Int Cell, I would like to request that one of the mods please move this current thread (Public Health Questions) to "The Intelligence Cell" for the purposes of carrying on a discussion on monkey pox.

The reasons for this are:
  1. One of the people following this thread has requested that I post on this subject here rather than in the COVID-19 threads.
  2. Discussion about monkey pox has been taking place in the COVID-19 threads for some time.
  3. This will provide a thread where discussion about miscellaneous minor plagues can be conducted.
  4. The existing posts on this thread are fairly civilized so and so don't belong in the NAAFI.

I have a number of posts to make on the subject which I have been saving until the thread is moved, so the thread will be active when we find out if it is going to be moved, or if we will need to start a new one.

The following mods appear to have authority in both forums.
@Boris_Johnson , @Guns , @Sixty

I've no objection whatsoever to moving it but would not wish to step on the NAAFI mod's toes. You've tagged @Boris_Johnson already and if @Arte_et_Marte and @The_Duke are fine with it, it'll be moved.

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer
OH was reading a report on the rise of Monkey Pox, it seems that some of those who caught it were homosexual, some were bisexual and some were men who enjoyed having sex with other men. Anyone care to explain the bold part as I thought it had all been covered in the first 2 explanations. The OH did come up with the "they could be Trans women with male tackle still.
A somewhat late coming from me (well, that‘s a first): a man having sex with other men does not make them gay.

I've no objection whatsoever to moving it but would not wish to step on the NAAFI mod's toes. You've tagged @Boris_Johnson already and if @Arte_et_Marte and @The_Duke are fine with it, it'll be moved.
I tagged you because you are listed as one of NAAFI mods. If I disturbed you unnecessarily then I apologize. Thank you.

The NAAFI Bar​

Post thread
Look some of the stuff in here is really quite nasty. If you are easily offended - DO NOT ENTER.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Sixty, Guns and Cpunk will appear on all the forums anyway as they're super mods.

Moved as requested :thumleft:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Aye, it's fine by me.

Apologies old boy - I went off too early (the good lady says that's normal for me) but I'm about to go bed so I thought I'd give it a few minutes...

(could have always punted it back if there were any belated objections)

Guns

ADC
Sixty, Guns and Cpunk will appear on all the forums anyway as they're super mods.

Moved as requested :thumleft:
It’s our stunningly good looks and air of authority.

Monkeypox news from Canada.

Travellers are being warned to be careful when abroad due to the danger of monkeypox.
Canadian travellers urged to be cautious abroad as monkeypox prompts new isolation measures
A doctor's tips to avoid monkeypox while travelling

As well as the danger of getting monkeypox itself, people could find themselves stuck abroad in isolation in countries with inadequate health care.

Doctors are advising people to wear masks in crowded places and to wash their hands (this should sound familiar.

This article gives a description of the symptoms of monkeypox. Apparently these symptoms can vary from person to person, so it's not always obvious.
Monkeypox can 'masquerade' as other conditions, with wide range of symptom severity

It can start with mild flu-like symptoms. Lesions may or may not appear on the skin. Symptoms may sometimes look like chickenpox, herpes, or syphilis to people who are not familiar with them.

"Monkeypox can masquerade as other conditions," said Dr. Rosamund Lewis, a Canadian physician and the technical lead at the World Health Organization (WHO) for the monkeypox outbreak.

As well as spreading through direct contact, monkeypox can spread through respiratory droplets. In the latter case however it is not currently as infectious as something like COVID-19.

As of Friday, Canada had reported 112 cases of monkeypox.
Number of cases of monkeypox across Canada now up to 112
All of the cases are in men between the ages of 20 and 63.

Why leaving monkeypox unchecked in Canada could put more people at risk

Globally, there are roughly 1,000 cases of monkeypox reported in 29 countries outside of Africa so far. However the real number is suspected to be much higher due to limited testing, and growing rapidly. There is a danger of the disease becoming established outside of the areas where it is currently endemic.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said this week that there are more than 1,000 confirmed monkeypox cases in 29 non-endemic countries around the world, but some researchers estimate the true number is more than 1,500 and growing rapidly.

"The sudden and unexpected appearance of monkeypox in several non-endemic countries suggests that there might have been undetected transmission for some time. How long? We don't know," WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said this week. "The risk of monkeypox becoming established in non-endemic countries is real."

Canada is using wastewater and other monitoring systems to look for new centres of monkeypox infection.

However, the fact that cases are turning up that are not linked to other known cases strongly suggests that it is spreading silently in the background.

One of the big threats is of the disease spreading locally from humans to animals. If this happens there is a serious danger of the disease becoming endemic in areas outside of Africa, which will make it perhaps impossible to eradicate in Europe or North America.

It also presents the threat of providing opportunities for the disease to mutate into new variants with unpredictable consequences.

Dr. Scott Weese, chief of infection control at the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph, said animal spillover creating a new reservoir is the "big-picture concern" that could lead to prolonged spread and even mutation of the virus."

"If we control it in people in Canada, it's gone. Maybe it'll come back, but it's not staying," he said. "If we get this into wildlife, then we get a situation where there's going to be an ongoing risk — like there is in endemic areas of Africa."

Monkeypox news from Canada.

Travellers are being warned to be careful when abroad due to the danger of monkeypox.
Canadian travellers urged to be cautious abroad as monkeypox prompts new isolation measures
A doctor's tips to avoid monkeypox while travelling

As well as the danger of getting monkeypox itself, people could find themselves stuck abroad in isolation in countries with inadequate health care.

Doctors are advising people to wear masks in crowded places and to wash their hands (this should sound familiar.

This article gives a description of the symptoms of monkeypox. Apparently these symptoms can vary from person to person, so it's not always obvious.
Monkeypox can 'masquerade' as other conditions, with wide range of symptom severity

It can start with mild flu-like symptoms. Lesions may or may not appear on the skin. Symptoms may sometimes look like chickenpox, herpes, or syphilis to people who are not familiar with them.

As well as spreading through direct contact, monkeypox can spread through respiratory droplets. In the latter case however it is not currently as infectious as something like COVID-19.

As of Friday, Canada had reported 112 cases of monkeypox.
Number of cases of monkeypox across Canada now up to 112
All of the cases are in men between the ages of 20 and 63.

Why leaving monkeypox unchecked in Canada could put more people at risk

Globally, there are roughly 1,000 cases of monkeypox reported in 29 countries outside of Africa so far. However the real number is suspected to be much higher due to limited testing, and growing rapidly. There is a danger of the disease becoming established outside of the areas where it is currently endemic.

Canada is using wastewater and other monitoring systems to look for new centres of monkeypox infection.

However, the fact that cases are turning up that are not linked to other known cases strongly suggests that it is spreading silently in the background.

One of the big threats is of the disease spreading locally from humans to animals. If this happens there is a serious danger of the disease becoming endemic in areas outside of Africa, which will make it perhaps impossible to eradicate in Europe or North America.

It also presents the threat of providing opportunities for the disease to mutate into new variants with unpredictable consequences.
Last advice I saw in the UK was 'isolate from pets (especially rodents) if you have or suspect you have, monkeypox.
Of the 300+ cases, two were women, the rest men who have sex with men (MSM), frequenting clubs, saunas etc. Sharing a towel or a hug could be enough.
It would be bad if it goes endemic, though wild rodents can carry plenty of other nasties anyway.

Clear link but as someone has already alluded to, there appears to be an appetite to dance around the obvious for fear of being haraunged by the LGBTQ+£_#@£# community and talking heads.