Public debt could be £1,790 Billion

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, May 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could be more. I think (ifmemory serves) at the end of 2008 total debt was estimated at £1340 billion.
    Given the wild spending that has taken place in the intervening 18 months I would be surprised if the debt hasn't risen to considerably higher than £1790 billion.

Do you really think Gordon "only" overspent at a rate of £25 billion a month over the last 18 months?
  2. 1991 seems an eternity ago…
  3. Maybe if our society was not so funking greedy with a "I want it and i want it now"attitude, this monstrosity would never have happened.
  4. 'Calculated by the Grauniad' - totally reliable then.

Labour did such a good job in sensible spending, abjuring waste, saving money, building up reserves and being so prudent, that the Professor of Prudence at Oxford University was so astonished that he hastened away to re-write all his lectures!
  5. Well I think we can safely say it's going to be a damn sight closer to £1,790bn than £445bn
  6. Why dont we begin by seizing all the assets of the labour government, the labour party and any of its members?

One way of recovering the stolen property.
  7. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  8. Cow

Cow LE

Does anyone care? I can't say I do any more. We've over spent, we need to pay it back and it's going to hurt.

Easy for me to say as I've got a job and don't expect to lose it due to government cuts, however I can see that things aren't going to be easy for myself and many others.

What I do care about is that the reasons we've got ourself in this mess are explained and action is being taken to stop them from repeating (like we've a chance in hell of that happening!).
  9. Quite, I couldn't give a sh1t how many numbers they throw at us TBH meaningless. Job's (availability or lack thereof) seems the only curency people care about.
  10. Well I still say it's all Bush's fault.
    He kept US interest rates low and this bought him his second election victory and Blurs last two.

And please don't tell me zee el Presidenta does not set the Interest rate.
  11. I wouldn't worry, Britain total national debt as a % of GDP, is not high compared to either historic levels or other countries levels. More importantly, the cost of servicing the debt as a % of GDP is actually lower than it has been for most of the last 100 years.
  12. "Britain total national debt as a % of GDP, is not high compared to either historic levels or other countries levels."

I won't worry, Onest.

Mad F ing Mad
    Serious commentators doubt Greece will ever be able to pay back her Debt EVER.
    But don't worry it is not a problem.