Public 'being misled' over halal meat

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, Sep 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You pay your money yet get no choice :roll:

Sharia law being introduced covertly or another pointless scare story?

2. I imagine there are as many muslims given non-halal meat as there are non-muslims given halal meat.

3. How many of us actually know what goes into our food these days? Cloned cows, genetically modified maize, all sorts of chemical shite.

The people who sell us stuff will do so at least cost to themselves, even if it does mean fudging the origin of their product slightly.

4. The consumer might not know or care, but the food standards agency will. GM food is only really widespread in North America, however there's a huge ammount of ignorance about what is GM or indeed what "chemical shite" put on food really is.

5. 15 years ago, I worked in a butchers as a Saturday Boy. Occasionally we would get in frozen shins of beef, of which on arrival my job was to peel away the stickers which read 100% halal meat, before sticking them in a crate in the freezer.

A couple of years after leaving that job, I realised that whenever the 100% British minced beef was low and I had to mince some more, I was told to get the replacement meat from the same crate.

It's a non-story with purpose of scareing people. Seems to be working. And believe me, there are far worse things for people to be upset about than buying meat from an animal which has had its throat cut whilst somebody casts a magic spell.

6. There are two ways to avoid this; either become vegetarian, or only eat pork.

7. I dont care either way, halal or conventional, as long as its DEAD.

8. The answer is actually very easy - just stick to pork and pork products such as bacon/gammon etc if you are queasy about it! Is there anything else on the Moozlemen proscribed menu-list that could be taken over? I understand that for the Yids it`s not just pork but also shellfish resp. Fruits de Mer, such as shrimps, oyster etc.

As for the point made by amazing-lobster: my Dad was also a butcher`s lad before being called up (he was present at the Burning of Belsen, so that`s how far back it was!). He`s still doddering about, and still categorically refuses to eat sausages! He also has an aversion to pies unless he has baked them.

As for German sausage (wurst), the following quote will suffice. "Contrary to popular belief, wurst are not 100% meat. But they are 100% animal products. The greater part of their content is the bits of an animal that cannot be sold as meat!" You can now let your imagination run riot.

9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Gonna Piss the Sikhs off BIG TIME. And I know which side of the fence I on for this one.

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Drown a squirrel, strangle a dog, chuck a cat in a wheelie bin, the RSPCA will see you in court soon as look at you, with the full backing of the police.

Cut the throat of an animal so it bleeds out through the neck while conscious, bung it in the food chain with no penalties because it's religious, not cruel. If I was to cut the throat of my dog, cat, cow or anything else and watch it bleed to death, I'd be in court.

It's absolutely ******* absurd, but then again, every time our government sets aside national laws to pander to a religious sect, it makes more of a mockery.

Hey, why not allow forced marriages? Why not have stoning too? Religion says it's cool, just like halal is.

11. My bold.
    Only if it's kosher ^~

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

From the wonderful Cranmer blog:
    Cranmer

Extract:
    "Yet when it comes to halal, we are all being sold meat without being made aware of the fact that what we are eating has been ritually blessed and dedicated to Allah.

It is not only that these animals have their throats cut and appear to die in profound distress; it also transpires that slaughterhouses specifically employ Muslims to do the slaughtering so that they may proclaim with each thrust of the blade: ‘Bismillah Allah-hu-Akbar!’ (‘In the name of Allah, who is the greatest’).

You might expect this in the slaughterhouses which supply the major supermarkets in Bradford, Oldham, Birmingham, Leicester, Slough, London…

But to learn that all the New Zealand lamb sold by the major supermarkets is halal is immensely disturbing.

Not least because it does not fulfil the requirements of UK and EU law for humane slaughter: the decision is purely economic.

While Christians are at liberty to consume whatever their conscience permits, Paul expresses a particular concern over ‘meat offered to idols’ (1Cor 10:14-32).

But this assumes that the believer is aware that the meat has been blessed in the name of Allah, who is the greatest.

If the Christian is kept in the dark, Paul is rather chilled about the matter until someone comes along and makes the believer aware that the meat was idol-sacrificed. Christians are then exhorted not to eat the meat for their sake: we may eat and drink anything unless and until it causes another to stumble.

But no-one is much bothered about the dietary sensitivities of 71 per cent of the population.

British Sikhs, however, constitute 0.7 per cent, and their voice will be heard.

Unlike Hindus, some Sikhs eat meat, not least because one of their gurus is recorded as being a hunter. Yet within the Sikh faith are the ‘kurahit’, or prohibitions, one of which is to not eat meat ‘killed in the Muslim way’. The origins, as ever, have more to do with the politics of identity, but it is a sustained article of belief for Sikhs all over the world – they are simply not permitted to eat halal meat at all.

If they buy their meat from Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose or M&S, they have been doing so without their knowledge.

In this instance, the sensitivities of Christians and Sikhs and the demands of the animal rights activists are subjugated to the commercial considerations of the slaughterhouses who are pandering to the demands of 4 per cent of the population. "

So, as the meat is idol sacrificed, once a Christian knows about this, they should no longer eat it. Sikhs cannot eat it at all. As someone said earlier, I'd stick to Krusty Brand Pork Products, but it's the point of it that annoys me - that, and the fact that millions of animals are being barbarically killed because of some pseudo-religious claptrap - and consumers are not being given the chance to 'vote with their wallets' on this matter.

13. Don't give a shit as long as it tastes ok. Cut its head off and wipe its arrse and I'm good to go.

Not being a believer myself does eating halal meat go against anything in the catholic / coe faiths?

14. I wish people would tell the Muslims there are far worst things to be upset about when they are offered meat that isnt halal.

15. Try flogging non-halal as halal. If you get found out, you'll have every government department connected to food queueing up to prosecute you, as well as the EHRC.

The problem with ritual slaughter is the rate of "failure" during the slaughtering process. If the animal falls into blood after its throat is cut, it's not halal. If an unstunned bull breaks its shins struggling while hanging by its back legs, it can't be halal when its throat is cut.

Part of the problem is that meat producers try to use conventional, production line slaughter houses for halal and kosher slaughter in order to reduce costs. These are designed for stunned animals. The animal is often turned upside down in a machine to have its throat cut. Fine if it's stunned. If it's not stunned and it struggles hard enough to injure itself, it's not halal.

The problem is further exacerbated by the skill, or lack of skill, of those doing the slaughtering. I heard one bloke in a slaughter house describe a Rabbi who routinely turned up pi$$ed and wielded a big, feck off knife, to do Kosher slaughter. Every one of the animals he killed failed the kosher test. Bleeding to death through a stabbed eyeball automatically makes a cow non-kosher. No DEFRA vet or RSPCA inspector who wants to stay in work and out of jail would dare to criticise anybody carrying out ritual slaughter.

"Halal Meat Outrage" stories generally refer to meat that has been ritually slaughtered but failed the halal/kosher test. It's sold into the normal food chain in order to keep the costs of halal and kosher meat down.

The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons determined that ritual slaughter of animals has no place in a civilised society. Banning it would cause our roads to become blocked by outrage buses topped by minarets. At the very least, vendors should be forced to disclose whether meat has been ritually slaughtered. We'll see how observant our religious friends are when their sausages cost more than fillet steak 'cos the evil Kufars get to choose whether they want to subsidise the ritual slaughter business.