Pub Management

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by cakenarse, Feb 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Completing my 22 years in 9 months and am considering entering the world of pub management, am considering using my resettlement with herronhouse. My OH is keen on supporting me doing this so am after any advise from those that have gone into the trade or have any experience of it.
  2. Many tied houses will provide their own compehensive training programme for staff. The national Licensees Certificate is a good start point, most study can be undertaken before the (usually) one day course. Also H&S, food handling and advertising/signboard training is handy.

Do you seek to manage or own/manage?, either way it is hard thankless work, moreso dependent on where your gaff is. Best of luck.
  3. cakenarse, are you looking at going into a managed house or leasing with you gratuity? Obviously both have benefits, with a managed house you have a regular income from the brewery but you are working for them and they can be hard when it comes to sales targets etc, but you keep your gratuity intact. Leasing means using up your gratuiaty (at least) but you will be your own boss with all the associated risks and rewards.
    Good luck with it mate, I'm thinking of doing the same in 6 years when I finally leave. I grew up in pubs as my parents were landlords, absolutely brilliant environment for bringing kids up and great fun, but very challenging.
  4. I am looking at a managed pub to start with.
  5. The money is not bad if you hit your targets but the hours are long and there is very little escape from work during your off shifts. If you have visions of sitting at the bar directing your minions then forget it - instead focus on 18 hours days and getting stuck in. Good fun though.
  6. cakenarse, probably the safest route to take to be honest. There are lots of ex-squaddies who have squandered their gratuity on pubs and lost the lot due to drinking the profits etc. It's also a good way to learn the trade for a year or so before committing your hard earned and you will have the full support of the brewery to help you.
    If the place you go for has a food buy in go for it. I remember my mum taking on the food franchise at her first pub and she was making at least 4 times what my dad was paid by the brewery. Food is where the money is!
  7. It has its plus sides.
    However many will not tell you of the negatives, you will work horrendously long hours, many of them unpaid.
    You will make good money, if you are lucky enough to get the right pub, get the one nobody wants and you will be permanently chasing your tail.
    If you go for a eating house with big food sales you are likely to face an uphill task with staffing problems.
    You will be working when everybody you know is partying.

Some people slot straight into the lifesytle, others never do.
    The way to make money from pubs is selling them periodically, not many people get rich working in them.
    Sorry to sound like the voice of doom, being a publican is not as nice as it seems by a long shot!
  8. As an IFA I do have a number of pub trade clients and my friendly tax accountant has many more than I have. The only owners/tenants making any money are those with a large food business and are not tied to a specific brewery. Tied house tenants are generally struggling- all the tenanted pubs in Melton Mowbray where I live are up for a change. Some managers are doing really well, (basic salary and a % of the takings), but the targets are high and the hours are horrible.

A couple of my clients are Witherspoons managers and are really happy, but it's definately not a job for the uncommitted, the disorganised or the drunk. Location and the current trade seem to be everything, it's all too easy to loose your shirt, (or your mind or spouse), trying to improve a failing pub.

Of my 20 or so contacts, only one has made money from improving a failing pub and he would claim that the previous owner was so barking it would have been impossible for him to do a worse job! (That said, he spent two years finding the place, the only pub in a big village).

You and your OH should work as a manager for a bit to see if you like it - either you are born to it or you are crap and keep the gratuity intact. Once you know it is for you, look for a place to buy/lease on the best terms you can get.