Pub chain slashes pint prices

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bossyboots, Jan 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Of course, its not as cheap as supermarket ale, but its a start :D

http://news.uk.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12386848

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

So they've been ripping people off for years as clearly they can still make a profit at 99p a pint. But then again with the pound devalued as it is, a 99p pint is as much as most people will be able to afford.

3. They've always ripped people off true Ord, however it means that now you can take your missus out for a valentines meal washed down with 10 pints apiece..and all for £25. :lol:

4. The big Pub chains have the bulk purchasing power to buy certain beers and sell them as Loss Leaders. The cheap pint that gets you in the door, once you're in that's half the battle won. The other pubs that are restrained by the brewerys can't do it, not unless the brewery helps them.

Gordon's unquivering obedience to the EU is what's killed the pub, bingo and working men's club trade. But as we all know, that's another long and heated debate, obviously smoke free of course..!

But like you said, it's a start

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Fair one but my Doris would would probably kill me if I rounded off a valentines night out with 10 pints. :p

6. This is what killing the pub trade.
    http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=188669

Whack Vat on top and a 99p a pint is made up of more than 50% tax.

7. does it mention that they are going to start employing more than to people behind the bar on the lunch time/evening rush...and these said employees might have a clue how to operate a till and god forbid might have some knowledge about beer/wines that they sell ..........or maybe just maybe they might employ someone who can cook and not just bung the food round the microwave or maybe someone who can serve hot food

Not living in hope

WW

8. Even cheaper then if your only drinking 5 Ord, and what you save will buy her a nice bunch of tesco value flowers...its a winner i tell ya :D

9. Yes Comrade, but this is Britain and you must be punished for daring to seek enjoyment.

10. It doesn't say whether they were filched from MacDonalds or not Womps :)

11. Did they not used to have "2 for the price of one", "BOGOF", or some such offers, that they have had to stop in an effort to discourage excessive drinking?

http://press.homeoffice.gov.uk/press-releases/irresponsible-drink-deals

12. Pubs have been closing at the rate of 3 a week since the smoking ban was implemented.
    The economic slump is making it worse but banning smoking was the death knell of the British pub.

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I guess it's supply and demand, now that a lot of people have less disposable income they need to set a fairer price or go to the wall.

As an aside, I don't live in the UK, has the longer opening hours reduced the amount of trouble in town centres at weekends?

14. Heh heh heh not unless you believe labour propaganda.

15. 8O WOOOOOOOOOP!! :D