• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Pub chain slashes pint prices

Of course, its not as cheap as supermarket ale, but its a start :D

Leading pub chain JD Wetherspoon is to slash prices on some drinks and food, offering a pint of beer for less than £1, down to 1989 prices, the company revealed.
The company, which operates 713 pubs across the UK, said the price reductions on some beer, bottled lager, wine and spirits will run "indefinitely".
A number of meals will also be offered at £2.99, said the firm,
http://news.uk.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12386848

bossyboots said:
Of course, its not as cheap as supermarket ale, but its a start :D

Leading pub chain JD Wetherspoon is to slash prices on some drinks and food, offering a pint of beer for less than £1, down to 1989 prices, the company revealed.
The company, which operates 713 pubs across the UK, said the price reductions on some beer, bottled lager, wine and spirits will run "indefinitely".
http://news.uk.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12386848
So they've been ripping people off for years as clearly they can still make a profit at 99p a pint. But then again with the pound devalued as it is, a 99p pint is as much as most people will be able to afford.

They've always ripped people off true Ord, however it means that now you can take your missus out for a valentines meal washed down with 10 pints apiece..and all for £25. :lol:

The big Pub chains have the bulk purchasing power to buy certain beers and sell them as Loss Leaders. The cheap pint that gets you in the door, once you're in that's half the battle won. The other pubs that are restrained by the brewerys can't do it, not unless the brewery helps them.

Gordon's unquivering obedience to the EU is what's killed the pub, bingo and working men's club trade. But as we all know, that's another long and heated debate, obviously smoke free of course..!

But like you said, it's a start

bossyboots said:
They've always ripped people off true Ord, however it means that now you can take your missus out for a valentines meal washed down with 10 pints apiece..and all for £25. :lol:
Fair one but my Doris would would probably kill me if I rounded off a valentines night out with 10 pints. :p

heard_it_all_before said:
The big Pub chains have the bulk purchasing power to buy certain beers and sell them as Loss Leaders. The cheap pint that gets you in the door, once you're in that's half the battle won. The other pubs that are restrained by the brewerys can't do it, not unless the brewery helps them.

Gordon's unquivering obedience to the EU is what's killed the pub, bingo and working men's club trade. But as we all know, that's another long and heated debate, obviously smoke free of course..!

But like you said, it's a start
This is what killing the pub trade.
http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=188669

Whack Vat on top and a 99p a pint is made up of more than 50% tax.

does it mention that they are going to start employing more than to people behind the bar on the lunch time/evening rush...and these said employees might have a clue how to operate a till and god forbid might have some knowledge about beer/wines that they sell ..........or maybe just maybe they might employ someone who can cook and not just bung the food round the microwave or maybe someone who can serve hot food

Not living in hope

WW

Even cheaper then if your only drinking 5 Ord, and what you save will buy her a nice bunch of tesco value flowers...its a winner i tell ya :D

Yes Comrade, but this is Britain and you must be punished for daring to seek enjoyment.

Duty on a pint of 5% abv beer in other EU countries

Austria 9.4p
Belgium 8.1
Cyprus 9.4
Czech 3.8
Denmark 13.4
Estonia 7.3
Finland 38.3
France 5.1
Germany 3.7
Greece 5.3
Hungary 8.1
Ireland 39.1
Italy 9.3
Latvia 3.4
Lithuania 4.0
Luxembourg 3.7
Malta 3.5
Netherlands 9.9
Poland 8.1
Portugal 6.2
Slovakia 6.2
Slovenia 3.5
Spain 3.6
Sweden 31.8
UK 36.7

Ord_Sgt said:
So they've been ripping people off for years as clearly they can still make a profit at 99p a pint. But then again with the pound devalued as it is, a 99p pint is as much as most people will be able to afford.
Did they not used to have "2 for the price of one", "BOGOF", or some such offers, that they have had to stop in an effort to discourage excessive drinking?

http://press.homeoffice.gov.uk/press-releases/irresponsible-drink-deals

Pubs have been closing at the rate of 3 a week since the smoking ban was implemented.
The economic slump is making it worse but banning smoking was the death knell of the British pub.

bovvy said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Did they not used to have "2 for the price of one", "BOGOF", or some such offers, that they have had to stop in an effort to discourage excessive drinking?
I guess it's supply and demand, now that a lot of people have less disposable income they need to set a fairer price or go to the wall.

As an aside, I don't live in the UK, has the longer opening hours reduced the amount of trouble in town centres at weekends?

S

Screw_The_Nut

8O WOOOOOOOOOP!! :D

jagman said:
Pubs have been closing at the rate of 3 a week since the smoking ban was implemented.
The economic slump is making it worse but banning smoking was the death knell of the British pub.
Ive got to say that I'm wary of the figures getting bandied around. If 3 a week are closing then I would have expected to see a couple close down but every pub around he is still going.

T

trowel

jagman said:
:cry: Nipped over to my local pub thi afternoon, thinking to spend about two hours there. By god it was dreary, only about twelve of us, no chance of getting a good crack going becaus there always one or two having to slip outside for a quick ciggy. The irony is that the first to complain about the disruption were the numbskulls who were calling for a smoking ban in the first. Empty barrels make the most noise.

jagman said:

The smoking ban has had a remarkable effect on me...I dont drink anymore,I dont enjoy drink in the house and I dont like standing outside for a fag. Those who cried most about banning smoking were the one's you rarely saw in the pubs anyway,If pubs went back to being places where men went for a drink without other peoples brat's running about and their fat doris's guzzling hamburger's we would all be happy.

rant over.

As a smoker, not in the UK though, when they banned smoking in pubs where I live, other than maybe a few hours on a Friday after work, I don't go to the pub any more. Me and the Doris will go out for dinner, drink some wine, but then go home rather than have me nipping out every hour for a quick puff. And I have to agree, there is what used to be a great Irish pub in town that has 10 customers, at most, whenever I've passed by recently. It used to be the place to go before.

Be careful what you wish for I guess.

wompingwillow said:
does it mention that they are going to start employing more than to people behind the bar on the lunch time/evening rush...and these said employees might have a clue how to operate a till and god forbid might have some knowledge about beer/wines that they sell ..........or maybe just maybe they might employ someone who can cook and not just bung the food round the microwave or maybe someone who can serve hot food

Not living in hope

WW
Bloody Hell, there really is no pleasing some people. You've just been informed that you are gonna be able to get a pint in a pub for less than a quid & you're still whining like a 2 year old!

I for one don't care about their knowledge of their wines, as I'll drink any old sh!te as long as it#s cheap. & they can chuck it int he microwave if they are only gonna charge me £3 for it.

You must be very high maintainance. Stick to you gastro pubs & pay through the nose for it xx

Latest Threads