Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by populus02, Feb 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Iv just been diagnosed with PTSD, im not going to go into details, but what sort of treatment has the army given other people with it? Theyv been quite good so far.
  2. Hi

Im one of the old and bold and was discharged in 1999 saw the cpn a couple of times then Psch was then discharged with PTSD, Have a 50% War penstion which also makes Service pension exempt (HAHA). Not saying this will happen to you as i am sure things have improved.

If you need any advice let me know and keep your chin up
  3. What do you mean "makes Service pension exempt" ?
  4. Sorry did not make it clear, it makes your service pension exempt from TAX if you get a War pension from 20 percent and over.
  5. populus02: Are you still serving, if so make the most of the treatment you get while you are still in!

It used to be the Priory PRIVATE Health group, now I am informed by the SPVA that the contact from the Mod has been given to the Staffs and Shrops PCT Trust's, as one has explained on another thread, Priory Group where pretty useless and was more akin to a holiday camp.

However, if you are talking about what other treatmeants there are, there are many, yet with a good percentage, because you have to pay you are fooled into believing they MUST be working, when many DON'T!

Again it all depends of the severity and the already identified triggers you have as a result of what you have seen and done, how long yo waited to be diagnosed and how soon after you started your treatments.

Nedication CAN be used as a SHORT term crutch in such circumstancies, however in the past they have been over used and over prolonged time periods, this only sinks the individual and his / her family even lower.

Time is of the essence with any Mental Health illness, as many servicemen / women will NOT seek the help and treatments they should, once they realise they MAY need help, some reverting to alcohol or illegal drugs to get through the worst of it, when in fact the NHS should have the answers.

However, the NHS have struggled with Mental Health for many years, it is the poor relation within the NHS and still GP's are NOT informed about what the services are or where and how to access them, even if the Mod tell you otherwise, they are LYING . . . .

Personally I wish you well, I hope you have a good TEAM around you and you can not tackle this alone and you get the most up-to-date treatments and support from both within the Mod system and the NHS.
  6. Drag the arrsse out of it while your are still in , because when you leave it is a lottery, make sure all your records are up to date so when ,or if you leave you don't have to start from scratch
  7. Well bloody hell I did not no that the crafty gits looks like im on the phone in the morning to them sounds like im owed a over a years back tax on my 22 year pension you would think spva would tell people
  8. Only in some cases not all.
  9. Phoning them tomorra :x
  10. Do I smell a Journo??

11. Or not as the case maybe, but how many wake up in the night with service related nightmares, possibly beating up their parner or wife, or both . . .

How many can't or won't talk about it, how many won't seek help as there is NONE that is of any use at present in the NHS. How many HIDE at the bottom of a bottle EVERY night.

How many service and ex service marriages have split as a result of a CHNAGED man coming back from war?

WE are sitting on a Time Bomb of numbers of those who sooner or later, for some too late, who will present with Combat Related Mental Health conditions / illnesses!

Well if it is a Journo, PM me and I will spill the beans and can give you details of many more who have been totally let down by the same system that sent us to WAR, no matter HOW long ago it was
  12. C S need funding and support from the NHS and others with the clout IMHO.
  13. In a FAIR world CS would get that funding, however, life ain't fair and no one in Gobberment seem able or willing to accept there is an ever growing problem within the ex military community and unless they the government do something now, they will have very many to cope with and treat in months and years to come.

Of ONLY the NHS involved "THE TEAM" approach in their treatments?
  14. I've also been diagnosed as having PTSD. I've had it for 18odd years now, some relates to time serving and some to prior events but only been official for 6odd months.

As for help, I'd had none for 17ish years from any source, except a poorly trained, poorly informed so-called counsellor who left a session half way thru in tears. Some people just have no idea about the realities of life in green (or any shade of blue), but more importantly they have no idea about the support of those in the same boat, the mates who live and breathe the same situations as you. It might be in the official rulebook of service life to take the urine out of the Crabs but at the end of the day they still share the same sense of belonging. Outside of the wire, civilian life can be very solitary and very isolating, yet still surrounded by thousands of anonymous people.

Mostly I just existed and crashed from one uncontrollable situation to the next but eventually I developed some routine, grew to trust a few people again and started to life a vaguely worthwhile life. I had my share of pressure releases too, fortunately I just managed to stay off the bottle and I never got violent with my partner (she'd have killed me!) but I did abuse her trust in order to let off steam.

Things changed as a result of reaching crisis point, something I firmly believe would never have happened had I had some support early on. I don't know how it affects others but the traumas of the past are generally bearable in isolation but what did it for me was in combination with the everyday stresses of life: running my own business, paying a mortgage, mounting debts, a partner being treated for cancer, getting appendicitis (and MRSA - cheers NHS) which stopped me working and therefore earning. With each perceived failure to deliver, I opened the door more and more to the sources of the PTSD coming to the surface and taking over. Sights, sounds, smells and sensations would come flooding back with little or no warning and reduce me to a near catatonic state sometimes for hours on end. This wasn't so bad at home in bed, but imagine that when driving or working at someone's property!

What eventually got me diagnosed, some chemical help, and more importantly cognitive behavioural therapy / supportive counselling was a chance appointment with a GP at my surgery who I'd never seen before. Turns out he was an ex-TA medic of 20odd years, was well connected and got me into the system at the right place and made sure referrals were actioned, appointments weren't cancelled and generally pushed my case. I see CS now and then, more to check progress than anything. They are hugely over-stretched and hugely under-funded but their care and passion for the people they come into contact with is undeniable.

I wish that I had a magic phonenumber to pass on for an organisation that would take on every case, no matter how serious, and ensure that every serviceman or woman who needed mental support got it and for free, but disgracefully that organisation doesn't yet exist.

Sorry to have gone on... good luck to the OP.
  15. Have just been on the Phone to Mr tax man and he said that the normal pension is not affected by a war pension Any one no other wise.?