Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PTSD - The get out of jail free card?

D

Deleted 60082

Actually my lively calls to banks and insurance companies are enough to wake the near-dead.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
A while ago, there was an interesting article in the Guardian on that very theme.

While writing a series of articles on mental health, a journo visited Broadmoor, the place where Hanibal Lecter would be locked up if he was British.

The patient he was interviewing arrived in the canteen wearing a three piece suit. During their conversation, the man in the suit confessed that he had lied to his doctors. Facing 7 years in prison for a crime I can't remember, he told anybody who would listen about the voices in his head and he ended up in Broadmoor where he had a room to himself, TV and stereo and even pocket money each week. Cushy.

The journalist was torn. Should he protect his source, or tell the psychiatrist at Broadmoor that he was being had by a common criminal.

Eventually, he decided to tell all. The psychiatrist was unsurprised. "We knew he was bluffing as soon as he arrived here. He obviously isn't psychotic." said the doc.

"Unfortunately we also discovered that he has a dangerous and incurable personality disorder, so he's going to be with us for the rest of his life."

A lifetime in the nut house instead of 7 years and out in 3. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

I've had cause to visit that establishment (and sister sites) several times and deliver training, I'm never certain if it's patients or staff who are attending.

I knew a lad who wanted out of the Army so he started acting strangely in front of the CSM who thought he was a malingerer. Everyone thought it was a game including the Docs, but the played along with him talking to invisible friends. He ended up in a secure mental health unit near Frimley. The Army gave him an Honorable discharge as the felt he was unstable and not suited to military life.

He carried on with the game and smoked a few Moroccan woodbine's on the ward, wooooooosh he started to suffer real delusions, he came clean about faking it but it seems the cannabis had really wrecked his mind, from Frimley he got put in Broadmoor and still in as he will be for many years to come, all for a joke to get out the Army.

Seems the cannabis was laced with other drugs including unknown amphetamine and these really un-fused his brain, still thinks he is in the Army and waiting to see the RSM about getting his 1st stripe. He is sectioned on a rolling 1 year deal. All very sad and more so as he had a bright future if he had stuck it out and grafted, 2 Herrick tours where he go a MiD all all now long gone and he has joined the full time dribblers in the secure ward where the daily meds calm him down, seems he also wears tenna pants these days as the meds make him defecate as his bowls are not controlled.

So drugs really do fcuk you up!

His wife & children have moved on, his parents have to live with the fact there son played a mind game, lost and is now an inpatient in a very secure hospital for many years to come, all very, very sad.

a personality disorder is mental health speech for there's **** all we can do for them met one poor sod built like a brick shithouse gave off really really bad vibes and nobody had a plan to deal with him found out while key working he'd been in a secure hospital for seven years:eek:. Rather above my 2 day worth of MH training .

Just coming through the back end of work drama caused entirely by some ******* head case with what I would probably describe as a “personality disorder” very very destructive creature. They are definitely out there in plain view

I knew a lad who wanted out of the Army so he started acting strangely in front of the CSM who thought he was a malingerer. Everyone thought it was a game including the Docs, but the played along with him talking to invisible friends. He ended up in a secure mental health unit near Frimley. The Army gave him an Honorable discharge as the felt he was unstable and not suited to military life.

He carried on with the game and smoked a few Moroccan woodbine's on the ward, wooooooosh he started to suffer real delusions, he came clean about faking it but it seems the cannabis had really wrecked his mind, from Frimley he got put in Broadmoor and still in as he will be for many years to come, all for a joke to get out the Army.

Seems the cannabis was laced with other drugs including unknown amphetamine and these really un-fused his brain, still thinks he is in the Army and waiting to see the RSM about getting his 1st stripe. He is sectioned on a rolling 1 year deal. All very sad and more so as he had a bright future if he had stuck it out and grafted, 2 Herrick tours where he go a MiD all all now long gone and he has joined the full time dribblers in the secure ward where the daily meds calm him down, seems he also wears tenna pants these days as the meds make him defecate as his bowls are not controlled.

So drugs really do fcuk you up!

His wife & children have moved on, his parents have to live with the fact there son played a mind game, lost and is now an inpatient in a very secure hospital for many years to come, all very, very sad.

Just how much of this is made up

I’m reckoning 98% Jimmy hill

Just coming through the back end of work drama caused entirely by some ******* head case with what I would probably describe as a “personality disorder” very very destructive creature. They are definitely out there in plain view

You only have to look at the regulars on the poo poo thread to see them in action

schwarzie

Old-Salt
I read somewhere that andy mcnab apparently is a self diagnosed psychopath,he did some assessment or something . Quite why he would want to admit to that in public I have no idea.....

It's interesting the whole PD debate, as clearly some people with personality disorders are very functioning in society for good or ill.... but others are clearly 'ill' and unable to cope in society. My brother works with people with personality disorders who are so dysfunctional they need 24 hour nursing care. One bloke is apparently huge, with a hair trigger temper and ongoing paranoia about basically everyone else that isn't his mother {who apparently badly abused him as a child}, when the police turn out for him during an 'episode' it is never less than two cars and a van. He is on large doses of medication that apparently does little,. Pity as my brother tells me, years ago when he was more stable he got into the parachute regiment,but his mother on hearing the army took him went beserk and he never went.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just how much of this is made up

I’m reckoning 98% Jimmy hill

If I get another site visit there I'll ask about this. They may, or may not, confirm the general truth of it. I don't often deal with the clinical staff there though.

I read somewhere that andy mcnab apparently is a self diagnosed psychopath,he did some assessment or something . Quite why he would want to admit to that in public I have no idea.....

It's interesting the whole PD debate, as clearly some people with personality disorders are very functioning in society for good or ill.... but others are clearly 'ill' and unable to cope in society. My brother works with people with personality disorders who are so dysfunctional they need 24 hour nursing care. One bloke is apparently huge, with a hair trigger temper and ongoing paranoia about basically everyone else that isn't his mother {who apparently badly abused him as a child}, when the police turn out for him during an 'episode' it is never less than two cars and a van. He is on large doses of medication that apparently does little,. Pity as my brother tells me, years ago when he was more stable he got into the parachute regiment,but his mother on hearing the army took him went beserk and he never went.
Funny old thing, it involves a book....
How Psychopaths Can Save Your Life - Dr Kevin Dutton, Ph.D.

The Good Psychopath's Guide to Success by Andy McNab

Latest Threads