Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PTSD - The get out of jail free card?

It seems there has been a rising trend when squaddies get out of trouble that perhap they are aware or their legal counsel are aware that if you flout "PTSD" in 'extenuating circumstances', the person whom is handing down the sentance may have to mitigate on the grounds of 'extreme stress', its one that worked well for Former Sergeant Black of the RMC which quashed his conviction and downgraded the conviction.

Here we have the lovely cash of an enterprising young chap named George Hunt whom despite being caught with £47,000 was given a suspended sentance... and less than a year on was back to his old tricks and this time jailed for 3 and a half years in August.

I'm sure their are many cases where the use of PTSD is perhaps sometimes "misused" but I really don't see how a tour in Afghanistan turns a fella into drug dealer, or maybe he learned something from the Taliban warlords whom deal in Heroin?

PTSD, diabetes, morning sickness, PMT, alzheimer's ,autism, post pregnancy induced meltdowns etc

In all walks of life, the excuses for bad behaviour seem to be an ever growing list

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just turning up in Afghan gave one of the lads on my last tour PTSD, well he was claiming to have seen such terrible things which we could prove he'd not been party to. Maybe actually doing something on tour must be able to turn you into a dealer against your will.

I'm off to commit violent robbery, Afghanistan/Brexit etc is making me do it

larium used to be a winner for Kingos

Kingos in Kenya?

After Kenya, aparently the disorienting effects could last for up to a year
"ehhh, is dis a gon ey hav in me hend?"*

* apologies for the accent; scouse being half irish, half welsh and half catarrh, it can be challenging to transcribe

The problem with mental health issues are the obvious fact they aren't visible and there'll always those who will claim "not possible" versus the charlatans who exploit the plight of the genuine sufferers to their advantage.

Don't know what the answer is, but do know PTSD is an automatic discharge & re-entry not possible.

Don't know what the answer is, but do know PTSD is an automatic discharge & re-entry not possible.

Are you sure its an automatic discharge?

Are you sure its an automatic discharge?

I wouldn't think so... it would need a professional opinion, but a diagnosis OF PTSD would render any potential applicant ineligible for enlistment.

The chap at the top George Hunt from Dundee wasn't actually kicked out for PTSD, he was kicked out for being a drug dealing c*nt whom failed a drugs test.

Played the PTSD card at the trial it seems, and it did work wonders the first time around! 8O

I wouldn't think so... it would need a professional opinion, but a diagnosis OF PTSD would render any potential applicant ineligible for enlistment.

The chap at the top George Hunt from Dundee wasn't actually kicked out for PTSD, he was kicked out for being a drug dealing c*nt whom failed a drugs test.

Played the PTSD card at the trial it seems, and it did work wonders the first time around! 8O

I'm fairly certain some people in my regiment have PTSD, (One who was in a vechicle that triggered an IED in Iraq). I dont know if he is getting treatment to be hoofed out, but it was a while ago.

I'm fairly certain some people in my regiment have PTSD, (One who was in a vechicle that triggered an IED in Iraq). I dont know if he is getting treatment to be hoofed out, but it was a while ago.

Getting treatment doesn't mean you'll be forced to discharged... unless he wishes to?

Getting treatment doesn't mean you'll be forced to discharged... unless he wishes to?

He's quite happy mincing along and getting paid for doing half a job.

A history of PTSD is certainly a bar to entry and I'd expect the service to try to rehabilitate an individual diagnosed but at the same time, they cannot employ a sufferer indefinitely & there comes a point, I believe, when medical discharge becomes inevitable if the individual is not going to fully recover.

The problem with mental health issues are the obvious fact they aren't visible and there'll always those who will claim "not possible" versus the charlatans who exploit the plight of the genuine sufferers to their advantage.

A while ago, there was an interesting article in the Guardian on that very theme.

While writing a series of articles on mental health, a journo visited Broadmoor, the place where Hanibal Lecter would be locked up if he was British.

The patient he was interviewing arrived in the canteen wearing a three piece suit. During their conversation, the man in the suit confessed that he had lied to his doctors. Facing 7 years in prison for a crime I can't remember, he told anybody who would listen about the voices in his head and he ended up in Broadmoor where he had a room to himself, TV and stereo and even pocket money each week. Cushy.

The journalist was torn. Should he protect his source, or tell the psychiatrist at Broadmoor that he was being had by a common criminal.

Eventually, he decided to tell all. The psychiatrist was unsurprised. "We knew he was bluffing as soon as he arrived here. He obviously isn't psychotic." said the doc.

"Unfortunately we also discovered that he has a dangerous and incurable personality disorder, so he's going to be with us for the rest of his life."

A lifetime in the nut house instead of 7 years and out in 3. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
A few years ago I knew a chap who had been on 'Banner' in the 1990s when it was virtually over. His problem was that he couldn't stop noting car number plates and memorizing them, he actually used that claim to his financial advantage.

After Kenya, aparently the disorienting effects could last for up to a year
"ehhh, is dis a gon ey hav in me hend?"*

* apologies for the accent; scouse being half irish, half welsh and half catarrh, it can be challenging to transcribe
Been to Kenya with the Kingos, to be fair they were all mentally fucked without Larium.

Been to Kenya with the Kingos, to be fair they were all mentally fucked without Larium.

This happened afterwards. It involved an OC in his office in Bessbrook, a love-struck scally and 2 Brownings...

I’m Harold Shipman, PTSD did it.

A history of PTSD is certainly a bar to entry and I'd expect the service to try to rehabilitate an individual diagnosed but at the same time, they cannot employ a sufferer indefinitely & there comes a point, I believe, when medical discharge becomes inevitable if the individual is not going to fully recover.

They seem to be trying.

Latest Threads