PTSD symptom scale

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by amazing__lobster, Oct 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello fellow ARRSErs :D

I may be doing a PTSD related project for my Clinical Psychology Masters degree (just performing a lit. review at the moment) and I was wondering if anybody on this board has access to any PTSD rating scales?

The main one I'm trying to find at the moment is the "Modified PTSD Symptom Scale (MPSS-SR) (1993) by Falsetti, S. A., Resnick, H. S., Resick, P. A., & Kilpatrick, D.

This one seems one of the most useful at the moment because it does not tie the symptoms to one specific even. Although any other scales that people on here could recommend would be gratefully received, even if they just post the reference on here.

Thanks very much,

* edit just to add: if I do go ahead with the project, it will not be a military study.

And I just want to clarify I'm not a clinician or professional in any capacity... Just a lowly student :D
  2. Might I suggest-

although I would emphasise that rating scales are not diagnostic in the absence of proper clinical assessment.

Also, I am slightly surprised by your assertion that you prefer a scale that isn't linked to a particular event. I suppose you could be implying that there might be multiple traumatic incidents. ICD 10 and DSM IV are however very clear that one of the diagnostic criteria for PTSD is a specific traumatic event.

Hope this helps.
  3. Hi Neuroleptic,

Thanks for the post - I had the first link (and it looks as if I'm going to have to email the author & beg for a copy :D) but not the second.

Re the choice of scale: In a nutshell, the scale is not supposed to identify people who are suffering from PTSD, but to see if people who score highly on a clinical scale for another condition also score higher than control participants for PTSD symptoms in general, hence not wanting to explore one specific event.

Participants will also be asked questions aimed at exploring a specific characteristic of the other condition and its relationship to high scores on the PTSD scale.

Like I said, it's an early idea that is not yet fully developed, but I've found somebody with a research background in PTSD who is interested in supervising it.

Thanks again :D
  4. The IES (R) in the first link is the test most often used in this country (and by the FMHT when I was away).

The only comment I'll make about the PDS is that it does link the questions to specific traumatic events, in terms of emotional response, so it may well not suit what you're trying to do.

Would be interested in seeing your findings and good luck with it!
  5. I'm in no way professionally qualified in this field but I'd also be interested in seeing the output from your research.
  6. [hr]

Whoops just re-read the link :oops: I'm sure that's the same site where I got the reference for the scale not looking at a specific event.

Thanks very much :D
  7. Try the PCL-C (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Scale (Civilian)) It is the gold standard scale in research circles at present. Excellent validity and reliability, easy to score.

Weathers, F.W., Huska, J.A., Keane, T.M. PCL-C for DSM-IV. Boston: National Center for PTSD – Behavioral Science Division, 1991.
  8. Thanks very much Zipper - I've found a copy online & it's very close to the questions I feel would be useful.