PTSD - Marlboro man (long)

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Goatman, Feb 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I came across this on a US forum. Although it is long, I thought it was worth re-posting, plse bear with me.

Unlike in the US, whilst recognising PTSD as a likely outcome of combat ops, to my knowledge neither the MoD nor HM govt at large operates anything equivalent to the US Center for PTSD. The only charity which operates residential centres for long-term treatment is Combat Stress.

If you are attending the Army Vs Navy rugby match this year, plse keep an eye out for Combat Stress collectors. Thank you.

Le Chevre
  2. Not trying to belittle what this guy is suffering from in any way but I have always wondered why there wasn't a massive number of PTSD sufferers after WW2.

Or is it the case that there where but no one bothered to record the numbers.

According to some sources ca 28% of troops* who have been in combat suffer from PTSD. If that is a true % then there should have been literally millions of sufferers post 1945.

Were there these millions of cases that were just ignored or hidden or is there something different about todays warfare or the soldiers that participate?

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

There were many who suffered PTSD - but it wasn't called PTSD and many weren't properly diagnosed or treated. Some were not diagnosed until many years later, having suffered years of problems. The situation wasn't (isn't) helped by the prevailing 'stiff upper lip' and 'lack of moral fibre' attitudes that prevailed. Combat Stress treated (and is probably still treating), many, along with those involved in Korea, Aden, Malaya, NI, the Falklands, and everywhere else British Forces have been deployed.

I'll echo Goatman's call - whether you are at the Army v. Navy rugby or not, if you are in London that weekend, keep an eye out for Combat Stress collectors and give something. They do an amazing job (and one which should be paid for by the Government), but rely on voluntary contributions.