PTSD Documentary

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by albertturner, Feb 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All,

I am in the last year of a part time Masters Degree in Documentary Filmmaking. The final project is a 25 Minute Documentary on a subject of our own choice.

I want to make a film about PTSD, in particular a film about an ex Soldier suffering with PTSD, ideally an Iraq or Afghan veteran with chronic PTSD and who is about to or has just started treatment through Combat Stress.

Combat Stress are supporting my project all I need now is a volunteer, please help........

The idea is to show that PTSD is not a weakness, it can happen to anyone and that a great deal of our troops are not only receiving physical injuries but also unseen injuries.

I am in the last few years of my Army career, I am proud of our lads and I would really like to tell our side of the story for once.

2. Any takers on this? Its a real chance for someone to tell their story and how PTSD has affected their lives....
  3. Why ideally Iraq and Afghanistan? Just Curious.
  4. Probably a bit too early for PTSD to properly kick in. Why can't Combat Stress, point you towards a potential 'star'.
  5. The idea of Iraq and Afghanistan is to show that PTSD is still an issue not just one from WW1 and WW2. Combat Stress are also helping me to find someone, they are also keen to show it as a current issue as the number of people they are treating has jumped by 50% in the last few years.

Tomo5050---not Strawberried haired Tomkinsaarn by any chance?
  6. No, baldy/grey.
  7. If you would like a good book on the subject, "Bloody hell" is a good one, I read it through and through and it does open your eyes to the uglier parts of warfare, if you PM your postal address I will gladly donate it to you.

"Bloody hell" was written by an ex-navy graduate who saw active service, Its a great read for anyone, he's interview alot of people over the years including paras who saw service at Goose Green and US marines who saw active service in the Vietnam War, its really open and honest, I read alot and couldn't recommend anything more fulfilling.
  8. No volunteers......

I submitted this post some time ago thinking that someone out there would volunteer or knew someone who would be up to it.

To date no one has come forward, I wonder why? is it that the idea of being in a documentary has put people off? or is it that no one feels their story is worth telling? maybe its because the film is only for my part time Uni is but, it will be seen...there is a hugh distribution network for student documentaries, including Sky and terrestial TV.

My own view and the reason for wanting to make such a film is to tell the world what we go through, particulary those who feel abondoned by the Gov or NHS and have no where else to turn, those who have turned to Combat Stress for is worth telling...its worth shouting from tall buildings....its worth saying look what I have done for you now you need to help and listen to us...

I hope someone sees value in it, if not then I will be forced to shelve a film that I feel very passionate about..
  9. Okay. But have a thought for PTSD sufferers and families/friends/colleagues also affected. You can do untold damage by meddling in things you're not qualified nor fit to
    broach. Maybe the reasons for no responses are things like dignity, reserve, even privacy. You decide.
  10. OldStripey,

Of course your absolutley right this is why I have asked for volunteers, there has to be a buy in from the person and others in the film. Filming a documentary like this is a real collaborative process, the volunteer has to not only be in the film but has to see this their film. I wouldnt have it any other way.

I dont think I have to be a qualified shrink to make a film like this, having 20 years in behind me and having been diagnosed with PTSD myself a couple of years ago has given me the foresight to think and question the areas you mention, and for this reason I approached Combat Stress, who are fully on board as they see the value.

I am sure that dignity, reserve and privacy as you mentioned are the main reasons for no one on Arrse coming forward, and of course I respect that, its hard opening yourself up to the gaze of a camera and letting it in to see otherwise intimate moments, this is why it has to be someone who is a willing volunteer, someone who wants the story told.
  11. have a chat with a guy called david morddell from channel 4 dispatches, he is doing one at the moment. ive got his number if you wont it and e mail addy
  12. I believe in your film, but I do not believe your plan is correct.
    Most of the guys suffering now, are coming from Aden 63-67, Borneo,
    Northern Ireland and the Falklands.
    We still have the massive problem with lads from Iraq and Afghanistan in front of us.(in 5 to 10 years)
    Don`t film the tip of the iceberg !

I suffer from PTSD.
    I have walked around as if on a furtive fighting patrol for about 20 years.
    I have a daily attack of Narcoleptia.
    I am completely paralysed when emotionaly upset.
    My working and sex lives are completely ruined.
    Not allowed to : drive
    . ...look after kids.
    ......go to work
    . ...... drink alchohol
    and I left active service in 1973. The illness clicked in in 1988
    yes..........I wear that Tshirt !
    (sorry............a bit bitter, the MOD turned any claim down due to lack of evidence although the German Profs have diagnosed me at 100%)
    rant over.........but maybe interesting for some.
  13. No one listerns, even when we see out GP's NONE of them know what LIMITED services there are now in place.

Dr. Iam Plamer wrote in the Indipendent ealier this week stating no one know the level of those affected, becuase GP's don't know of Dr. Ian Plamers work, contact details.

Two problems, one for those who as yet have not been affected, iot perhaps is hard to comprehend, for those who are alreadt affected, it is a matter of finding a GP who knows and CARES enough to trust to impart YOU feelings so they may make an informed diagnosis.

IF not given the right treatments early enough, PTSD IS a LIFE changing illness for both the individual and those around his / her and yet the NHS say "The treatment for Civvi PTSD is the same for the military". Obiously he has never served in Combat"
    • Like Like x 1
  14. As we've discussed before, the treatment plan is exactly the same for civilians and the military as it's the same illness, same symptoms, same prognosis. CBT is the best approach (indeed the only one with any evidence behind it).

The problem is that there isn't enough CBT availability for everyone, not just ex military personnel. The therapy supplied by ex forces people is a bit of a red herring. As I've stated before the very best CBT therapist I've seen works for a DCMHT and has never served.
  15. Then my friend we can agree to disagree, you see it from the psycotherapy side, ME the Service User, IF there was a service, or had been a service avilable since 1993, perhaps I would not have gone SO far down this route, who knows, who cares, the government cares little, in point of fact, it appears that the information about Dr. Ian Palmer of MAP is still not getting out to GP's who without said knowledge can't refer the individual and or his / her family, as he is prepared to see both.

Is it funding, is it someone in Whitehall trying to SIT of the REAL figures, Dr. Palmer seems to think BOTH!

Personally I no longer TRUST any NHS service, they have broken any potential they had at getting the right treatments to me in the early 90's and I have ONLY climbed out this far because of a good woman who cares, NOT the Healthcare Service Provider . . .

I haven't even be assessed to see how many triggers I MAY have, or the reasons why I machine gun women and children to death in Arab dress, the ironic thing there is, I NEVER went to the Sand Wars. Over four years in NI in the early / mid 70's and FI just after the war. Along with a whole miriade of other possibilities, where I marched into the middle of things without a thought to myself.

I was referred several years ago when I was having a very bad time of it to the CMHT, I made it known then I was a WP who had being diagnosed with Mental Health illness's and it took the CMHT EIGHT weeks to phone me and that was a PRIORITY, what's the wait now SIXTEEN weeks, or travel half way across the country. And I KNOW I am NOT ALONE . .