PTSD and Simulation Treatment

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by mephisto, Mar 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I'm new, so Hi to all.

I wanted to know if anyone here had info or had tried the computerised simlutation treatment programme for PTSD?

If you don't know what it is, it's a fairly new (last couple of years) treatment programme from the States whereby you are exposed to the same trauma/s that caused your PTSD via computer simulation with the difference that you are in control of the computer rather than the situation controlling you.

Here's a link about it if you don't know about it :

I'm considering this for myself but wanted to know if anyone had tried it or if anyone had any experience of it please?

2. I was under the impression that it was still exclusive to treatment centres in the states.
    I may be mistaken though.
    Welcome to arrse and all the best with your treatment.

If your a journo do one :D
  3. Yes, it's not generally available, you're right, but it looks hopeful that it will be offered to some people over here in the next few months which is why I'm thinking about it.

Thanks for the welcome too. :thumright:
  4. Fair one, from the reports I have read (there was a thread about a few weeks ago I believe) the programme is proving succesfull.
    Some dropped out early in the programme saying it was 'too much too soon' whereas other found it incredibly helpful. I will try and find the thread.
  5. Thanks. I would appreciate it if you could find the thread.

Sorry, didn't see the bit at the bottom of your first post about being a journo, no I'm not! Just someone who's retired on medical grounds looking for some info!
  6. I'm sure that this is just a high tech version of running through your tramua incident with models in a "sand box" the idea being to keep replaying the incident until you become desensitised (sp?) to it. It does not work with everyone.

Next time I'm at Combat Stress I'll ask some of the lads whether this type of therapy worked.

If of course you're a jurno FOAD
  7. Oh Blimey! Everyone thinks I'm a journo. I'm not!! I'm a bit desparate to get some decent treatment which works that's all. This has been discussed with me and I wondered what other people felt, that's it (honestly)
  8. Thank you very much, I'll read through it now. Cheers. :)
  9. I recommend Combat Stress, very very helpful Combat Stress
  10. Yes I know Combat Stress quite well. I've done in-patient and out-patient stuff with them. Bottom line is my life is still a mess and so I'm looking at other options in case something else might be helpful. This simulation thing seemed interesting, probably because I seem to have run out of other options.
  11. Don't drop out of sight, take care mate.
  12. That thread is really interesting, thanks Suits_U for posting the link.

Seems like it might be great for some people but not everyone. I'm really not sure it's for me but I'm still interested to research it to see what experiences other people have had.

To be honest, I'm pretty much willing to give anything a try but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into first!

I'm really grateful for the replies and pms, thanks.
  13. Fair enough matey.
    As for that new system, where is the harm in trying? (bad saying I know but hopefully you get my point)
    All the best with your research and treatment.