PTSD and medical discharge questions

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by PEMS, May 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What an amazing website!! i have been looking everywhere for information and have found a lot here but there are still some questions i am hoping i can get help with.

I am currently serving in the RN and have been for 13 years.

I was diagnosed with PTSD a year ago and I am still receiving treatment. I am currently downgraded and I was told on Tuesday that i will be put in front of a medical board with potential medical discharge. the couple of questions i have are:-

• I am happy to be medically discharged as i know I have reached a point now where i know deployment is no longer for me and will do nothing to help me and i think it is time to move on. If i go in there and tell them that this is what i want can they refuse to discharge me????
    • is there a rough idea of how long it normally takes for the first meeting? from what i have been told from others is that they dont make their decision there and then - they normally write to you to tell you.
    • I have also been told i can start looking into resettlement courses now? is this correct - i think i will go along on Monday and speak about this point.

Cheers for any advice

2. 1. Don't tell them you want to be discharged but let them know you've spent a lot of time considering it and have come to the conclusion that you think it may be the best for you and the Service.

2. Time is a relative thing and the length of time depends on many factors such as how many boards there are, how many people available to man the boards etc.

3. The earlier you start the resettlement process the better, but you are limited about how far you can go until you have been told officially of the decision to discharge you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You need to book an interview with your resettlement officer. You may find you have to wait a few weeks before you can get one. I'm not sure at what point you can actually start the resettlement process, but I would imagine it won't be until after the MBOS decides on your fate.

4. Thanks for the replies.

I have been told i have a meeting tomorrow with someone medical so I will see what information they have.

I am guessing they could actually refuse me, even if i explain that i think it is best for me?

I did think I would be best off explaining why i think it is best i leave rather than saying i want to - so thanks for the confirmation. I really dont want to go in there saying the wrong thing!